Locks for Nuprol Carry Case

LightningCh
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, (I'm not 100% this is the right section too be honest, although that's what Jedi is for ;) )

So I've recent just bought a Nuprol Carry Case large with the basic Eggshell foam, but I need a decent pair of locks to put on it before I can take it on trains/planes/leaving it in safezones (I'm paranoid like that for safezones, other 2 are obvious security reasons).

Does anyone know the dimensions of the lock holes? They look to be about 10mm wide and 25mm deep... but that's my guess, not able to measure it.
Or does anyone actually use this case with locks?

The closer the shackle fits to it the better as security in my local airport and train station are a bit touchy if a case opens slightly while locked up.
Any recommendations? Combination locks are preferable but I don't mind key locks. :) 

Guest scalawag

Hi,

I have some of the Nuprol rifle cases.  The holes are approx 10mm diameter, and approx 23mm deep.  

I had trouble finding locks that fitted it well without being quite chunky.  I ended up using a ABUS Titalium 30mm lock with a 60mm long shackle which has a key.  This fits easily through the hole, but the shackle is quite a bit longer than necessary in order to go through the 23mm depth of the hole.  A standard 30mm padlock does not have a long enough shackle to pass through the hole and still lock.  

A 40mm padlock might work well for you, but they were a bit to big for me.  You may be able to find a 40mm combination lock.

I think the product number for the Titalium 30mm with the long shackle I use is ABUS 64TI/30HB60, and a standard 30mm is ABUS 64TI/30, so a 40mm one would be ABUS 64TI/40 I think.

Hope this helps.

Hey mate,

Thanks for the dimensions :)

Fortunately I don't mind chunky locks as that just makes them easier for my clumsy hands to hold lol.

Having a look on amazon and  such I did stumble across this lock https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0711SFMDK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?th=1 there is an image with the size specs on.

Do you think this would work with the 33mm shackle?

Guest scalawag
19 hours ago, LightningCh said:

Hey mate,

Thanks for the dimensions :)

Fortunately I don't mind chunky locks as that just makes them easier for my clumsy hands to hold lol.

Having a look on amazon and  such I did stumble across this lock https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0711SFMDK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?th=1 there is an image with the size specs on.

Do you think this would work with the 33mm shackle?

That looks like it could be ok, going by the dimensions that they are quoting but it may be borderline.  

It is difficult to say definitively yes though as the crucial measurement is from the top of the lock to where the shackle starts to curve and this is missing. This is the part that needs to be long enough to go through the depth of the hole (23-25mm) if that makes sense.  Looking at the picture of the lock you linked to, the curve of the shackle takes up about 1/3 of its length, which would leave approx 22mm or so of the length for the straight part of the shackle, which may be just enough, or maybe disappointing.

49 minutes ago, scalawag said:

That looks like it could be ok, going by the dimensions that they are quoting but it may be borderline.  

It is difficult to say definitively yes though as the crucial measurement is from the top of the lock to where the shackle starts to curve and this is missing. This is the part that needs to be long enough to go through the depth of the hole (23-25mm) if that makes sense.  Looking at the picture of the lock you linked to, the curve of the shackle takes up about 1/3 of its length, which would leave approx 22mm or so of the length for the straight part of the shackle, which may be just enough, or maybe disappointing.

Hmm yeah, true... forgot about the curve being an issue...

Guess I'll have to keep searching for a lock that will fit. Thanks for your help :)

http://uk.farnell.com/kasp-security/k11030d/padlock-brass-combination-30mm/dp/1322749 that’s what I used. Didn’t buy it from there, got it at a handyman’s, but it locks without being too big. I’d upload a pic but max size is .41mb and I don’t have a 10 year old Nokia to hand..

5 hours ago, Wo1f said:

http://uk.farnell.com/kasp-security/k11030d/padlock-brass-combination-30mm/dp/1322749 that’s what I used. Didn’t buy it from there, got it at a handyman’s, but it locks without being too big. I’d upload a pic but max size is .41mb and I don’t have a 10 year old Nokia to hand..

Thanks, I will have a look into these as well :)

Ok so I was at work looking at locks working.
And in the end I actually managed to work out that the fortlock padlocks I found on amazon would fit, maybe a little tightly but they would.

So I ordered them on amazon Prime while at work home
And they have arrived... Annnddd.....

http://prntscr.com/ib2v0b

It's a perfect fit! :D This picture is when my guns are in the case... And the case can't even budge a few mm (except where the case can flex slightly, but not enough to let fingers in)

Archived