Tracer advice please

DiceyRicey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

Advice from experienced members appreciated, regarding tracers.

I would like to use a mid cap switchable 30/125 magazine, for the option of more realism, and getting rid of the noise and hassle of winding mags. I do CQB in a dark/ darkish environment.

• Would it be practical to use a tracer unit and tracer rounds in the bottom of the mag, to indicate that I'm running low on rounds? I simply can't justify the expense of the tracer units with count down displays and alarms etc.

• Would this give away my position if it was lighting up on every round going through, although only illuminating the tracer rounds obviously?

• What would the ratio or normal to tracer rounds be, as I don't want to give away my postion having all tracer rounds?

• How many magazines would people normally carry, as I've just been using the hi cap 300 odd one I got with the gun, and topping up between games. I realise I may have to alter my playing style! 

Cheers in advance 

• Mostly Retired Moderators

It does seem counter-productive to spend money on a tracer to use it as a "Running low on ammo" indicator if I'm honest...

A very expensive way to keep tabs.

Let's get to your questions:

• Would this give away my position if it was lighting up on every round going through, although only illuminating the tracer rounds obviously?

It's not a massive giveaway, but it can be noticeable, especially in pitch black environments, it's enough for someone at a distance to fire towards the little flash. And it's only really visible if someone is facing directly at you.

It's comparable to one of those little crappy LED Keyrings you find in petrol stations going off every couple of seconds.

Someone following the tracer rounds back to you is more likely.

• What would the ratio for normal to tracer rounds be, as I don't want to give away my postion having all tracer rounds?

Umm... it's entirely up to you really..

I tend to mix green and red tracer BBs together, the red ones glow a lot more of a dull glow so only every 3rd or 4th shot is bright green.

• How many magazines would people normally carry, as I've just been using the hi cap 300 odd one I got with the gun, and topping up between games. I realise I may have to alter my playing style! 

I take two Hi-caps into the mall with me.

It's enough and saves me having to carry shed loads of magazines, making it lighter.

And I don't move fast enough for them to rattle! :D

Great info there L3wisD, thanks!

not sure about the comment of using tracer as a running low indicator, as expensive?

I can get tracer rounds for 4p for 10, and I wouldn’t need many.....

do you know if the tracer with counters eg. Xcortech X3300W MK2, can use the counter without the tracer function?

2 hours ago, DiceyRicey said:

Great info there L3wisD, thanks!

not sure about the comment of using tracer as a running low indicator, as expensive?

I can get tracer rounds for 4p for 10, and I wouldn’t need many.....

do you know if the tracer with counters eg. Xcortech X3300W MK2, can use the counter without the tracer function?

Just use the none tracer bb's so it doesn't glow/react. It should still count

Aengus at the risk of labouring the point, am I right in saying you couldn't just haver the xcortech 3300W MK2 functioning as a counter/ countdown, it would flash as well?

6 hours ago, DiceyRicey said:

Aengus at the risk of labouring the point, am I right in saying you couldn't just haver the xcortech 3300W MK2 functioning as a counter/ countdown, it would flash as well?

Without modifying it I think so. Look up the manual and see if it's mentioned. I'll have a look on mines later.

Now I am intrigued, can't find ANY info on it?!

Prefer the PEQ box on the xcortech, looks more realistic and durable.

Can anyone enlighten me?......

• Supporters

I have had nothing but quality issues of late with the xcortech stuff. 

I had one of the very first xcortech systems and pushed the product quite heavily but have lost faith in their QC.

So far the ACETECH stuff has been superb and this product I am sure will again eclipse it's Xcortech counterpart upon release. 

Soon as I get my hands on one I will review it and put it through its paces at the mall.

Guest scalawag

I have an Acetech Lighter which is a great little tracer unit.  I was so impressed with it that today I took delivery of an AT1000 too for my rifles.  Very bright, very reliable, and if this new combo is even half as good as the current line up it should be stellar.

• Moderators

I have the same system as Trig, his advice really to get one lol, it does it’s job, but not been using it recently, just playing with low caps and reloading a mag when I need to or when I think I’m low and attack a location making sure I have ammo

its a good little system but I find the counter isn’t always that accurate and can be a few out either way, sometime just use the unit as mock silencer and leave box in car as can have to much on gun!!

tracers fun and if I’m sad enough I’ll load mag with one every 4.... but the tracer unit will flash with what ever you fire so can give you a way

Chrono ive found to be about 4 to 6 FPS out with site chrono

not sure I’ve used mine since August tbh

like I said use a mag until empty or swap mags if attacking so I know I have ammo....

Archived