STR Stock Installation

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I bought a Magpul STR Clone (same mechanism as a CTR), but the locking pin has a very strong spring and won’t travel down far enough to install on the buffer tube. The friction lock is quite stiff and won’t open up as far as it’s supposed to. Any suggestions?

Hammers...or fire...or hammers that are on fire!

I've had to get under the pin with a screwdriver before now to get enough travel on it to get the damn things on.

1 hour ago, Hangtight said:

Hammers...or fire...or hammers that are on fire!

I've had to get under the pin with a screwdriver before now to get enough travel on it to get the damn things on.

See I even tried levering it down from the inside, but it's stuck tight. Then all these blokes on youtube saying "all you do is simply pull this little tab down with thumb, and on it goes", and I'm there with tools and all sorts straining away and it isn't budging.

EDIT

I’m looking at the housing that the pin moves up and down in,and even with only 2-3mm room left in the housing, there’s still double that needed to be able to put the stock on.

• Supporters

That's the problem with clone stuff. It's often not quite right.

I had the exact same issue with my clone STR. Try taking the back plate off and depressing the pin with a long screwdriver. You'll probably need eleventy six hands for this but if you can slide the stock on while holding the pin down from behind you may be able to get it on. Failing that, dremel out the slot that the pin runs in to give you more room?

Archived