New change(new to me)

Fridge4211
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Folks apologies if this is wasting time. I came across the attatched material on a well know YouTube channel website. Saying that Airsoft guns not classes as firearms anymore if under certain FPS limits.

Does this then mean that the whole ukara system becomes obsolete if the guns I am looking for fall under the FPS limit. It certainly reads that way in my head. I.e if it is no longer classed as a firearm no need to require the ukara registration for a “rif” as it is no longer a fire arm as classed by law.

Not sure what to make if it is it a pointless update to the law that has no real impact or is it a game changer for those in the sport.

TIA

the fridge

BD426113-80AF-40CF-B7B4-BC33EABFDD19.png

my understanding is that if they are over the limits stated then they are classed as firearms. 

Currently they are still classed as imitation firearms. UKARA is still needed and anyone selling RIF's need to make sure that what they are selling fall under these limits

• Supporters

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2017/3/section/125/enacted

“57A Exception for airsoft guns

(1) An “airsoft gun” is not to be regarded as a firearm for the purposes of [the Firearms Act 1968].

(2) An “airsoft gun” is a barrelled weapon of any description which—

(a) is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile (whether or not it is also capable of discharging any other kind of missile), and

(b) is not capable of discharging a missile (of any kind) with kinetic energy at the muzzle of the weapon that exceeds the permitted level.

(3) “Small plastic missile” means a missile that—

(a) is made wholly or partly from plastics,

(b) is spherical, and

(c) does not exceed 8 millimetres in diameter.

(4 )The permitted kinetic energy level is—

(a) in the case of a weapon which is capable of discharging two or more missiles successively without repeated pressure on the trigger, 1.3 joules;

(b) in any other case, 2.5 joules.”

So, yes, not firearms (if under the energy limits), but they are still "realistic imitation firearms" for the purposes of VCRA (import, sell, manufacture, modify), and "imitation firearms" for Firearms Act 1968 S19 (possession in public).  So no real change in practice.

Archived