Drop Leg Holster setup advice needed

Gazmeister
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

afternoon all...

Hoping someone can give me some advice on a Drop Leg Holster setup....

I have a WE Glock 17 (no attachments... yet...) which I like to use quite a bit on skirmish days. I'm using a Fobus Roto Light Bearing Holster with Molle attachment atm which I have on the side of my Plate Carrier (http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-rigs-plate-carriers-assault-vests/8fields-tactical-advanced-assault-plate-carrier-dpm.htm#.WlNjljg5NpI)

The issue's i'm having is that I feel I cant always draw quick enough with this setup which can be a pain given I like to use the Glock and also I want to free up space on the JPC in order to add more primary Mag pouches.... don't want to move holster to my battle belt as I want that space for grenades/smokes, dump bag, utility bag etc so it seems that the drop leg may be the best option for me however I know little about them...

could someone recommend a decent one please?

Thanks

Gaz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I just use this, does the job....

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-holsters/viper-tactical-adjustable-leg-holster-right-handed-coyote-tan.htm#.WlNqpFVl9hE

didnt wanna spend loads on a holster yet as its not used as much as the other gear, hence i didnt go for a warrior one....plus it was a gift so had to keep cost down....plus i didnt pay for it :)

• Moderators

TM glock 17. You can adjust the parts / straps as Velcro so its loose or tight. Id still recommend a lanyard though or something if you haven't got one. On my first use i had it to loose as hadnt looked it it, pistol fell out! :lol:

since then ive moved the internal strap so it raises the pistol up higher and tightened the actual body (its velcro) and its much better now....im just paranoid it will fall again!

my brother has a multicam version with a TM hi-capa and hasn't had any issues either, he has used it more as well...hence i got a similar one :)

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Gazmeister said:

thanks again mate, yeah I have Lanyard....could not take pain of losing mi Glock on a skirmish!! :angry:

haha, thats what happened to me on a night game back in august, its first outing, walked to start point and off we went, got to a building, went to draw it and it had gone :(..!!

spent an hour looking for it in fading light with a few others.....eventually after asking my brother for the 10th time, 'are you sure we took this route', he went another way and found it within metres of the start point!

haha.... mate, I bet your face was a picture when you reached for the Glock but grabbed fresh air!! Thank F**k you found it though! My speciality seems to be dropping my Glock mags.... have done that at last 2 skirmishes.. found em after frantic search.

• Moderators

haha, yeah i was not too pleased as a gift from my wife by myself with my money! haha, i didnt hear it or feel it either fall out....

we walked the route at tuddenham for ages, it started off with nice cover and about width of a person, by time we finished it was flat and you could drive a hummer along it!....i had this feeling i didnt walk the same route as them at the start but everyone was insistent!...never listening to them again !! haha.... and i shot him later in the cover of darkness as well! 

Got one of those style leg holsters from ebay.

Fits my WE M9A1 and 1911 rail gun perfectly.

Also used with a lanyard. Not taking any chances...

I prefer having holsters chest mounted but crawling is awkward as it drags in the ground.

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Got one of those style leg holsters from ebay.

Fits my WE M9A1 and 1911 rail gun perfectly.

Also used with a lanyard. Not taking any chances...

I prefer having holsters chest mounted but crawling is just impossible that way.

thanks mate, gonna have a look around online for best price.

yeah chest would be good for quick access. did give that way some thought but don't have the room on my JPC.....

• Supporters

Whatever you do, set your holster up properly. Don't have it flapping about round your knees!

I had a viper one, I took off the dangly strap and threaded it through a belt and still used the thigh strap, was way more secure, less flappy and was just the right height. I found it a little too low before. 

I know this doesnt solve your solution as you want your belt free but that was my preferred place for it.

1 minute ago, Albiscuit said:

I had a viper one, I took off the dangly strap and threaded it through a belt and still used the thigh strap, was way more secure, less flappy and was just the right height. I found it a little too low before. 

I know this doesnt solve your solution as you want your belt free but that was my preferred place for it.

cheers for the tip mate, its good to hear what other members here have done so I can find what may work best. ;)

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

which viper one did you get?

• Supporters

Hey gaz, I've experimented with thigh rigs for years, never been that happy with them, as a former rugby/ice hockey player my thighs are on the large side, BUT can't recommend serpas enough, trick is to ditch the upper thigh strap & keep the two belt straps short, having two belt straps spreads the weight nicely & the lower thigh strap sits just below the groin.

pistol sits midway between the belt & thigh position so can still be drawn quickly.

aternatively, if your happy with your fobus, keep it on the Molle fitting & try one of these:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-Drop-Leg-Thigh-Platform-Molle-Panel-Pouch-Adjustable-Outdoor-Military/311931337057?hash=item48a08e7961:m:mtqznNOUVlCpa_9Jt-MDXFw

i use one on my left side sometimes for mags etc, worn high they're great, should work with your fobus.

good luck

mark

• Supporters

I don't like drop leg holsters. Never felt right. When I ran a pistol I had it attached to my belt in some sort of retention holster. I forget the brand. 

If you do get a drop leg holster, try to have it as high up as possible. It won't offset you whilst running and gives for a better draw. 

edit: Just wondering what your setup is like? Is there any chance you could move your pouches and attach it somewhere on or below your belt line? It really does make it a much more comfortable fit. 

7 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Hey gaz, I've experimented with thigh rigs for years, never been that happy with them, as a former rugby/ice hockey player my thighs are on the large side, BUT can't recommend serpas enough, trick is to ditch the upper thigh strap & keep the two belt straps short, having two belt straps spreads the weight nicely & the lower thigh strap sits just below the groin.

pistol sits midway between the belt & thigh position so can still be drawn quickly.

aternatively, if your happy with your fobus, keep it on the Molle fitting & try one of these:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tactical-Drop-Leg-Thigh-Platform-Molle-Panel-Pouch-Adjustable-Outdoor-Military/311931337057?hash=item48a08e7961:m:mtqznNOUVlCpa_9Jt-MDXFw

i use one on my left side sometimes for mags etc, worn high they're great, should work with your fobus.

good luck

mark

mate that looks superb.... been reading more and keep seeing people complain about the drop leg flapping around which Lozart also mentioned above... this could work really well actually... I do like the fobus don't get me wrong even tho its a little stiffer then I'd like on the retention side however it is good quality. maybe I get the thigh platform Molle and mod as you suggested to get the 'mid' setup which should be more stable and I get the free space on my jpc.... jobs a goodun!! also like the idea of having the same setup on the other leg but for pouches or whatever... have some spare molle mag pouches actually...

4 minutes ago, Gepard said:

I don't like drop leg holsters. Never felt right. When I ran a pistol I had it attached to my belt in some sort of retention holster. I forget the brand. 

If you do get a drop leg holster, try to have it as high up as possible. It won't offset you whilst running and gives for a better draw. 

Must admit, I don't run mine as a drop leg. I bought the UBL adaptor and it comes straight off my belt for that exact reason. Minimal movement whilst running, and less chance of bashing it into stuff, although the Safariland is pretty sturdy.

• Supporters

What about attaching it to the front panel of your PC? I've never personally tried it, but I've seen other players do this. 

4 minutes ago, Gepard said:

What about attaching it to the front panel of your PC? I've never personally tried it, but I've seen other players do this. 

yeah that is a possibility I guess.... tried with my existing attachment... looked shiat... hoever it was clearly the wrong choce for such as setup.. saw this one earlier... found a pic of some other guys setup that had it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Tactical-Chest-Waist-Leg-Paddle-Molle-Holster-for-Glock-17-Series/331923471181?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

jpc.jpg

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Gazmeister said:

mate that looks superb.... been reading more and keep seeing people complain about the drop leg flapping around which Lozart also mentioned above... this could work really well actually... I do like the fobus don't get me wrong even tho its a little stiffer then I'd like on the retention side however it is good quality. maybe I get the thigh platform Molle and mod as you suggested to get the 'mid' setup which should be more stable and I get the free space on my jpc.... jobs a goodun!! also like the idea of having the same setup on the other leg but for pouches or whatever... have some spare molle mag pouches actually...

Tbh I've done all the monster plate carriers etc, most of the time they're pure overkill for airsoft, & I favour single shot 99% of the time, so if I'm going to a regular walk on day where games are an hour-ish at a time & most are using hi caps, I'll have 1 hi cap in the gun & two on the left thigh rig (plus 2 pistol mags in case I go all John wick lol), that's usually loads, & if I need extra kit/fluids etc if the games change or go longer, I have a maxpedition Sitka gearslinger, compact slingpack that I can grab, weighs feck all & doesn't bounce around, all in it all makes for a nice high speed low drag loadout, especially in the warmer months, way better than wrapping oneself in multiple layers of cordura & then wondering why your sweating like the proverbial ;) .

i still use a chest rig, warrior DAR with back panel, but only on longer milsims & overnighters etc.

• Supporters

Can’t recommend the Warrior Assault Universal holster enough, work superbly with Glocks, looks legit and does its job flawlessly. 

Actually challenged a buddy to a quick draw standoff with my WAS holster and his safariland. Think my round hit before his left the barrel.

Archived