Drop Leg Holster setup advice needed

Gazmeister
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A word of warning - you may find that a drop leg holster will put you slightly off balance. Definitely recommend counterweighting it with some mags or other gear on the other leg, otherwise, depending on how heavy your pistol and holster is, you'll find yourself walking a bit lopsided. Sort of like having one shoe heavier than the other.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Gazmeister said:

afternoon all...

Hoping someone can give me some advice on a Drop Leg Holster setup....

I.......

The issue's i'm having is that I feel I cant always draw quick enough with this setup 

Quick draw and drop leg don’t really go together 

Unless you’re crouched down then you need to bend down / stretch to reach for it 

I never got on with drop legs and also watched team mates ‘waddle’ with them, especially with a drop leg holster on one leg and drop leg pouches on the other

Ideally a pistol should be close and secure to avoid flapping and for easy access

8 hours ago, djben9 said:

which viper one did you get?

Looks the same as the link you posted.

I took out the top thigh strap and threaded a belt through the space the strap went and took off the 'drop leg; strap totally. Eliminates any flap, is still secure due to the bottom strap and sits higher now and is the perfect height.

If I hadnt switched to a MK23 I would still be using it, but its not great when you have a foot long suppressor attached as I have to pull my elbow over my right ear to draw it  :D 

• Supporters
20 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Quick draw and drop leg don’t really go together 

Unless you’re crouched down then you need to bend down / stretch to reach for it 

I never got on with drop legs and also watched team mates ‘waddle’ with them, especially with a drop leg holster on one leg and drop leg pouches on the other

Ideally a pistol should be close and secure to avoid flapping and for easy access

If you have to crouch to reach it, it's set too low.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

If you have to crouch to reach it, it's set too low.

.... but if you’re crouched down hiding in a corner waiting for someone to come round the corner .....

Quite often I’ve seen people with drop leg holsters down their thigh which means they have to at least stretch down their arm/tip their shoulder

primarily a drop holster is to put a pistol out of the way of other things such as body armour etc.  Ideally when you have a moment to decide to switch to pistol, eg when changing between rifle outside and pistol inside 

If quicker access is needed such as QuickDraw on primary failure then it shouldn’t realy be on the leg - perhaps a bit lower on the belt etc 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Tommikka said:

.... but if you’re crouched down hiding in a corner waiting for someone to come round the corner .....

Quite often I’ve seen people with drop leg holsters down their thigh which means they have to at least stretch down their arm/tip their shoulder

primarily a drop holster is to put a pistol out of the way of other things such as body armour etc.  Ideally when you have a moment to decide to switch to pistol, eg when changing between rifle outside and pistol inside 

If quicker access is needed such as QuickDraw on primary failure then it shouldn’t realy be on the leg - perhaps a bit lower on the belt etc 

You're right, the main purpose of a drop leg is to get the pistol out of the way of vests etc but a lot of people (mostly through lack of knowledge/common sense) seem to place them way too far down their leg. Worst case it wants to be high enough up so that with your arms by your side you can draw your pistol.

• Supporters
  • Supporters

To echo most of the above, my "drop" leg holster has migrated up and up until it's now attached directly to my vest.

They look tacticool, but unless you really don't have any room higher up, I'd recommend just getting an honest waist holster.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Never got on with drop leg. Find this is a much better option.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-IMI-DEFENSE-RIDE-HOLSTER/dp/B00O46HJRI

When I used a Safariland dropleg copy I had something similar for that. Much more stable than a drop leg.

cheers everyone for taking time to reply with experience/ideas.

and after all that I think I'm gonna give the following a go for fast and lightweight (hopefully) loadout:

1. Drop (don't use) JPC/Chest Rig's
  2. Battle Belt - to hold Glock, Smokes, MK5 Flashbangs, dump bag
  3. x2 Drop Leg Panals such as http://www.taiwangun.com/en/pouches-leg-rigs/modular-padded-drop-leg-panel-coyote-8fields?from=listing&campaign-id=19  to house M4 mags on right leg and Glock Mags on the left.......still thinking about how many? and also which kind of mag holder (fast mag/Velcro pouch??)
  4. Backpack (sling variety that can be carried on front or back for easy access) to hold extra bb's (3000+ pot), Green Gas, Waterbottle pouch on side and utility pouch for keys/fags/goggle wipes/protein bar or 2/speedloader etc)..... 

I think the above gives me all I need (obvs excluding head/eye pro which is another conversation) for a good day skirmishing?

Love my JPC & Large backpack however think I will keep that for bigger sites/longer games... especially when I finally do a Milsim or a weekender of some sought (Roll on May UK vs USA!)...

all thoughts and opinions welcome... am still quite new to this so be gentle... as I say this is what I 'feel' may suit me and not me saying this is the best and what everyone should do!!...

**Special mention for Tackle re the idea of Sling Pack and the drop panels...

will order this stuff and report back with pics to hopefully help others with similar dilemma..

sorry, last thing... does anyone here have experience with putting their pistol on front of jpc using something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Tactical-Chest-Waist-Leg-Paddle-Molle-Holster-for-Glock-17-Series/331923471181?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Gazza

• Supporters

Thanks Gaz, I've also used the Molle fitment you've asked about, back when I used to use ciras & ricas vests, having it slap bang in the middle of my chest, horizontally fitted, works really well, especially if using vehicles etc, but crap when your prone, plus you've got to be careful with your sling setup for your primary.

i also sometimes use a Molle bandoleer , another way of running a pretty light loadout high on the chest, & I use a serpa so it's mounted top right, literally high on my right tit, but in order to have an easy draw I had the Molle fitment upside down, that gave me the option of the pistol butt down at approx 45 degrees, works really well.

12 hours ago, Tackle said:

Thanks Gaz, I've also used the Molle fitment you've asked about, back when I used to use ciras & ricas vests, having it slap bang in the middle of my chest, horizontally fitted, works really well, especially if using vehicles etc, but crap when your prone, plus you've got to be careful with your sling setup for your primary.

i also sometimes use a Molle bandoleer , another way of running a pretty light loadout high on the chest, & I use a serpa so it's mounted top right, literally high on my right tit, but in order to have an easy draw I had the Molle fitment upside down, that gave me the option of the pistol butt down at approx 45 degrees, works really well.

see what you mean re the bandoleer with the pistol above the ‘moob ‘...... have seen a pic of similar setup on another thread, although the fella seems to have fitted to a strap on either a backpack or battle belt suspenders strap..

is it still easy wearing and accessing the sling pack with that setup? (Molle bandoleer etc)

Why dont you just use one thigh panel and stack the pouches on top of each other? 

I have a thigh panel just like that, and have a double M4 with a double pistol on top of it (was actually cheaper than the companies own brand built one)
@Gazmeister

11 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

Why dont you just use one thigh panel and stack the pouches on top of each other? 

I have a thigh panel just like that, and have a double M4 with a double pistol on top of it (was actually cheaper than the companies own brand built one)
@Gazmeister

hello mate,

something like this?

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-pouches/8fields-tactical-double-5.56-magpistol-pouch-panel-tan.htm#.Wld3njg5NpI

main reason for running 2 was that I've been told that its better to have 2 to offset each other (see below comment from one of the posts above)..

A word of warning - you may find that a drop leg holster will put you slightly off balance. Definitely recommend counterweighting it with some mags or other gear on the other leg, otherwise, depending on how heavy your pistol and holster is, you'll find yourself walking a bit lopsided. Sort of like having one shoe heavier than the other.

also was thinking along the lower profile lines so no need to stack.... and don't really want other mags too low down for ease of quick access... going to mod mine to ride as high as (comfortably)  possible.....

do you have a pick of your leg panel please mate?

Gaz

• Supporters

If you're running a Molle belt, why not just put a double M4 pouch on that? Or a pair of kangaroo pouches so you can fit your pistol mags on too?

40 minutes ago, Lozart said:

If you're running a Molle belt, why not just put a double M4 pouch on that? Or a pair of kangaroo pouches so you can fit your pistol mags on too?

hi mate,

a space thing really, as now running glock in the fobus holster off battlebelt only (this is my non Jpc/chest rig setup), and what with my smokes/pyro, dump/utility bag etc all being on the belt its getting a little crowded and ive struggled reaching the things that are 'too far round' the back/side of the waist..

hoping the panels will be perfect solution as will be able to see them/access them easy... at least that's the plan mate.  anyway they are pretty damn cheap on TG (just over a fiver for the 8fields) so giving this setup a go isn't going to be a massive dent..

Cheers

Gaz

• Supporters

Hey Gaz, a bandoleer wouldn't work with a sling pack, the two would conflict, but as mine, a hd copy of the Blackhawk bandoleer, only has a 2" web strap on the back, I'm thinking I'll order the sling pack you've seen, temporarily tack it to the rear of my bandoleer, & if its feasible I'll modify it permanently, at that price it's not gonna break my heart to chop it about a bit, unlike my maxpedition lol.

the bandoleer I have is no longer made, closest copy I could find is this one:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Airsoft-Molle-Chest-Rig-OTS-Platform-6-Colors-BK-CP-TAN-BROWN-/111655596183?skus=Color:OD Green&varId=410666840751

My set up starts with the serpa top right, next to that are 4 tactical tailor 7.62 shingles, they'll hold m4 mags easily, as well as bigger stuff like m14/g36 mags, last two rows has a tactical tailor 5.56 shingle with a tactical tailor double pistol mag pouch piggy backed on top.

its all very low profile, & double stacking the pistol mag pouch works fine as its positioned just above my left hip.

dont run a traditional sling, instead  I have a length of hd 1" webbing secured under first pouch near sternum, looping under right arm & securing on strap in middle of back, & fitted on it is a push button quick release clip, so I can quite literally drop my primary, & it will slide to a vertical position high on my right hip, allowing me instant access to my secondary, it works very well & is a great rig for moving fast.

only pic I could find is a bit crap, but you can see how high it sits on the chest.

more food for thought lol ;)

image.jpg

• Supporters

On 10/01/2018 at 3:13 PM, Gazmeister said:

Love my JPC & Large backpack however think I will keep that for bigger sites/longer games... especially when I finally do a Milsim or a weekender of some sought (Roll on May UK vs USA!)...

What's wrong with your JPC? It's got loads of molle space for all your pouches. 

2 minutes ago, Gepard said:

What's wrong with your JPC? It's got loads of molle space for all your pouches. 

hello mate,

nothing wrong with it tbh...still gonna use it.  bought the serpa holster to attach glock to front when I use it however I want the option to run a more lightweight & less restrictive loadout with nothing on the front JPC/Chest rig wise, which will be especially great when it starts warming up a bit more...  also like the sound of the Bandoleer setup Tackle runs.. just trying to keep open mind at the moment and try a few different things until I find 1 or 2 that are my goto setups for the sites that i will be visiting most.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Gazmeister said:

hello mate,

nothing wrong with it tbh...still gonna use it.  bought the serpa holster to attach glock to front when I use it however I want the option to run a more lightweight & less restrictive loadout with nothing on the front JPC/Chest rig wise, which will be especially great when it starts warming up a bit more...  also like the sound of the Bandoleer setup Tackle runs.. just trying to keep open mind at the moment and try a few different things until I find 1 or 2 that are my goto setups for the sites that i will be visiting most.

Fair enough mate. The JPC is one of the most lightweight PCs on the market but @Tackle's setup is quite nifty. 

11 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Fair enough mate. The JPC is one of the most lightweight PCs on the market but @Tackle's setup is quite nifty. 

I definitely need to try some milsims, although I'm a little lacking in gear now - sold most of it off as I was going into the RAF, but now I have to wait a year and a half before I start because I need my sight corrected and there's a cooling off period after the procedure.

Couldn't possibly imagine myself in a milsim with a JPC - not nearly enough molle space. Even on casual skirmishes I'm a bit of an airsoft swiss army knife. Definitely would want to have a vest that has space around the sides, and wide enough on the top to store my sig. Osprey, Condor Enforcer, Condor Operator, Flyye Spartan (if I ever won the lottery) would be my go-to.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

I definitely need to try some milsims, although I'm a little lacking in gear now - sold most of it off as I was going into the RAF, but now I have to wait a year and a half before I start because I need my sight corrected and there's a cooling off period after the procedure.

Couldn't possibly imagine myself in a milsim with a JPC - not nearly enough molle space. Even on casual skirmishes I'm a bit of an airsoft swiss army knife. Definitely would want to have a vest that has space around the sides, and wide enough on the top to store my sig. Osprey, Condor Enforcer, Condor Operator, Flyye Spartan (if I ever won the lottery) would be my go-to.

I haven't played a milsim so I can't comment really. If you get the skeletal variant like I have it has molle on the sides. Enough for 6 stanag mag pouches or other pouches. Not to mention the front with a kangaroo pouch and 6x3 molle space to stack and the rear for a couple of utility pouches.

I'd have thought that would be more than enough space as you could put the rest in a daysack or something. 

Archived