LiPo charging

ewanJC
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Alright! 

First time charging a lipo battery as im new to airsoft and only just got my UKARA.

im charging my batteries getting ready for a game day tomorrow. I’m using the Imax b6 charger and 2 new 7.4v 2000mah batteries! I’ve charged the first one and it only took about half an hour! Is this normal or is it still got more to go? 

(It’s a bit daft but the charger said full on it, I just thought this might have been charging for longer)

cheers

Guest scalawag

I use LiPos a lot in other hobbies Which I do as well as airsoft.

A few questions,

What settings did you use on the charger?

Is the battery straight from the box?

I usually charge my LiPos at 1C that is to say 1x their mAh rating.  So for a 2000mAh battery that is 2A.  You can charge them faster than this, but I find they last a bit better if you treat them gently when charging them, I also always balance charge mine too.

If the battery is brand new out of the box it will likely have been shipped with a storage charge which from memory I think is about a 60%-70% charge.  That would explain the short charge time for a first charge.  Basically the battery was not fully discharged when you charged it, hence the quick charging time.

Hope this helps

3 hours ago, ewanJC said:

Alright! 

First time charging a lipo battery as im new to airsoft and only just got my UKARA.

im charging my batteries getting ready for a game day tomorrow. I’m using the Imax b6 charger and 2 new 7.4v 2000mah batteries! I’ve charged the first one and it only took about half an hour! Is this normal or is it still got more to go? 

(It’s a bit daft but the charger said full on it, I just thought this might have been charging for longer)

cheers

The batteries would/should have come with a half charge already in them. It's a storage charge, enough to keep the battery in good shape. SO when you plugged it in to charge it was probably half way there already. Lipos are fairly quick to charge (generally; mah will vary the time of course).

They'll pobably take a little longer when you charge them after your game (depending how much you used them).

EDIT: Mucked my math up... brain fart. I meant each battery is only just below 8v (2 cell lipo, 4v per cell) when I swap out for a new one. I play two batteries for a full day, half day each, so each charges really quick due to the limited drain from usage.

• Supporters

I think the full voltage charge on a 7.4V Lipo is 8.4v from memory (don’t ask why, I have no clue) As long as the b6 is saying it has 8.4v in, its fully charged. Well mine does anyway.

Batterys are shipped with 60-70% charge, which is storage. Think that’s 7.6v on the B6.

Archived