Go Pro Cameras

Creepy Panda
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a little bit of advice. I'm just getting into airsoft with a couple of friends and we want to take our gopros to record what we get up to in the field.

but because they aren't exactly cheap i want to make sure nothing is going to get broken when i take it out there...

i know other people take them into the field, i just want to know what cases people use to keep them safe from bb's and the elements.

and if anybody knows a good way to keep the batteries charged for extended periods of recording, i would really appreciate it.

I'll be using it on either a scope or head mount.

Thanks in advance, Panda

• Supporters

There is a case for the GoPro, think it’s waterproof too, take multiple battery’s.  The case is BB proof.

GoPros and clones are fine for BBs if you keep them in the waterproof case.

The Contour Roam can take hits without a case

For longer battery life switch it on and off when not playing, bring spare batteries if you can, bring USB power packs and top up the charge between games

Turn off extra features such as WiFi remote control and remote viewing unless you really need them.  (That was also a good feature of the contour above GoPro - if it’s on your head you cannot see it, all GoPro users used to spend half their time asking others if the light is flashing to check it’s on otherwise they would often find out at the end of the day that they had pressed the button and turned it off instead of on, with the contour it’s just a big sliding button.  If it’s forward it’s on and if it’s backwards it’s off.  The only reasons it wouldnt be recording are the lens cap and a flat battery 

GoPro clones are often excellent value.  One of my earlier action cams was bought on a tip off by my electronics guy spotting them in maplins.  The actual chipset was a ripoff from GoPro and the rest of the specs were on a par. It cost at most half the price of a real GoPro and included a box full of accessories and mounts which had to be bought seperately with gopro

Have a look at Vipon.com, action cameras and mount sets crop up quite often.

Through this sellers give discounts or even free stuff for people to review on amazon.  Do make sure you check the item and pricing out as a few put up high prices on amazon to make it look like they are offering a deal

But there are good genuine ones who have faith in what they are seeking that really are offering good deals to get reviewers

F23D6BB8-053C-4A7F-B08B-29703DA814CB.png

I had an SJCAM SJ400, which was a GoPro clone compatible with GoPro accessories, so hopefully this will still be relevant. As others have said, the waterproof case that comes with these style action cams will protect it from BBs. They do affect the sound quality though (as the camera becomes fully enclosed). I found that drilling a BB-sized hole in the side of the case, over where the microphone is, restores this.

My case cracked once when the lens protector disk was hit by a sniper's BB, but these come out with a few screws and you can buy circular acrylic disks on eBay that work as replacements. It's only happened to me once though. 

As far as batteries go, I had a spare one and a USB charger that could charge both at the same time. Then I connected it to a pre-charged power-block/portable charger. I'd keep one charging during a game, and switch them over inbetween.

9 minutes ago, Aengus said:

Just bought that exact camera, thank you! Wonder what the quality will be like.

I’ve not bought that one, but have had a few including similar specs

If in doubt always assume that the optimum is their second level specs as opposed to the highest option they quote and you won’t be disapoibted 

I have just got my camera setup ready to take to the field.

My wife got my a GoPro 5 Sessions for Christmas and I subsequently ordered a Couple of Firefly Q6 cameras for a PEQ box setup like brainexploder.

Fortunately I own a pretty decent 3D printer so have made some very similar cap mounts and lens protectors. Just have the PEQ box to do now. Also just got my Lexan sheet to cut the protective lenses with on my Laser cutter.

so now I’m all set. As you said these things are expensive and before I go near a field with them I’m going to ensure they are fully protected!

well thanks guy for all the info, and i would probably buy one of those cameras, if i didnt have a gopro...

but i think i might go down the route of getting a lexan lens cover for it if theyre that easy to change :) 

I use my hero 3 silver in its standard waterproof case, I've beaten the sh*t out of that camera and it's still going strong..

I recommend to buy a spare case and drill a hole where the usb port is, so that you can attach a usb cable to an external battery pack (gives you a lot more recording time than the standard battery)..

Clones are fine as long as they have decent sensors, lens covers are usually strong enough to take a few hits and not crack, if you're unsure just tape a small piece of lexan over the camera lens and you're set.

If you have access to a 3d printer I'd make various mounts to secure the camera to hats, ball caps and helmet nvg mounts.. Or have a look at brainexploder stuff on shapeways (even though they're a bit pricey)

Archived