Cheap but good Eye protection

Stainesy86
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know that not all quality stuff is cheap, but I am looking for eye protection and have looked through websites, eBay and all sorts. 

I think I would prefer mesh to goggles and I have seen tonnes on eBay all different colours and sellers and all look exactly the same so looking for ideas and to fit price range of £5 to £15 each as I need to buy 2 pairs. Myself and my son.

Unless you buy a recognised/reccomended brand you will need to test them close to death,just to be on the safe side..i.e full auto close -up.

Alas what you will find with cheaper Ebay brands is that although the mesh is more than adequate industrial grade the frames will feel like they're made of wood and if you're wearing them for any length of time you want comfort too,softer frames will also mould to your facial contours better and no gaps=safer...,,believe it or not the NUPROL ones seem pretty good ...but I'm not a meshey..

• Supporters

Nuprol mesh are around £14.99 and are fine. Avoid nuprol glasses, they are cheap tat.

If you are after cheap clear goggles, I’d recommend the Valken Zulu with some anti fog wipes, mine do not fog, and I’m a sweaty pig. They are a rebrand of some safety goggles but I cannot remember the name, think they cost about £23?

• Supporters

Not sure if there's any truth to it, but I've heard horror stories of BBs getting smashed against the mesh goggles and small pieces slipping through the gaps as well as the paint chipping off and fleks getting into peoples' eyes. 

I used to wear a Dye paintball mask whilst I was U18 and they were great. If your son is in that age bracket I would highly recommend them.

After that, Bollé Trackers for about 6 months and they worked fine after I removed the foam padding. Then I moved onto ESS ICE and they're my current pair. If you like an open face they're perfect for sweaty buggers like me.

Don't cheap out on eye pro. Whilst there are some good brands out there for fairly low prices you've only got one pair of eyes so get something that's comfortable and will protect without a doubt. 

11 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Not sure if there's any truth to it, but I've heard horror stories of BBs getting smashed against the mesh goggles and small pieces slipping through the gaps as well as the paint chipping off and fleks getting into peoples' eyes. 

I used to wear a Dye paintball mask whilst I was U18 and they were great. If your son is in that age bracket I would highly recommend them.

After that, Bollé Trackers for about 6 months and they worked fine after I removed the foam padding. Then I moved onto ESS ICE and they're my current pair. If you like an open face they're perfect for sweaty buggers like me.

Don't cheap out on eye pro. Whilst there are some good brands out there for fairly low prices you've only got one pair of eyes so get something that's comfortable and will protect without a doubt. 

Fairly true for mesh and stuff getting through it, it could happen if the BB splinters but it's still got to get through layers in different directions so it's hard but possible

13 minutes ago, Gepard said:

We had a guy go down at my last game due to this, was in the hire kit mesh goggles. Would have been about 10 metre distance shot with a Krytac vector. I've never seen it be worse but saying that.I've only been airsoft 4 times i n4 months lol. But the guy did need medical attention over it. (Guy hasn't been left with long lasting damage though or anything, he described it to be like sand getting in your eyes but a harder impact).
On the other side of the coin.
I've worn the hire kit goggles myself and had no bbs go through. It's literally pure luck whether you get a couple shards in you eye. 

IMO you shouldn't skimp on eye/face pro just like what everyone else recommends.... but I personally wear Revision Desert Locust goggles so I'm kinda on the far end of this spectrum (overkill protection with a huge price tag end).
Just be wary of the odd bb getting through mesh if you choose to wear them especially if it's a sniper firing them lol.

• Supporters

Nuprol don’t manufacture ANYTHING, if you’re going to spend £14.99 on their mesh you might as well just buy a £2.99 set from eBay, because it’ll be the exact same thing.  

Please dont cheap out on eye protection, you wouldn’t get on a motorbike wearing a £20 helmet so why would you allow people to shoot at you with an Airsoft gun when wearing eye protection that costs less than a Starbucks? 

You can ESS ICE glasses or revision sawfly glasses from surplus stores for less than £30 a pair. 

18 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

There are Heroshark mesh goggles http://www.heroshark.co.uk/

*look at his Heroshark mesh face mask w/ ear pro* oh yeah, completely forgot Heroshark does goggles as well haha. I would be a great salesman (not)

I've been using revision sawfly's for about 12 months, nice and comfortable, i'd much recommend these over mesh goggles. 

You can pick them up from ebay for about £15.

Just my opinion though :)

Worth noting mesh will stop a BB, but not a broken particle of a BB.

Goggles that are EN166 rated offer more protection, but I appreciate prone to fogging. It's the price we pay. Cheap set of Bolle Traker II's less than a tenner from Amazon and Bolle Rush even cheaper.

Sorry.. longish post. :rolleyes:

I've a pair of Nuprol mesh goggles I bought out of sheer frustration from fogging and sweat streaming down the lenses of goggles. I used them for half a day with no real issue but in the back of my mind I just wasn't happy about the thought of particles going through should a bb shatter. I play frontline where it's messy.

After the last game I bought some Revision SawFlys and they are brilliant. No fogging at all and just a little sweat line towards the end of a mornings game. Wiped off and ready for the afternoon game. Cool. I admit I'm a little concerned about the openess of the glasses sides. Not from oncoming fire but normally there's always some noob on your team that dumps his load on your back (ooo-er). It's those "from behind" shots I worry about getting in the glasses. Chances are slim but probably greater than a bb shattering with mesh. I do wear the drop down kneck protector on a bush hat so it does help with rear shots a little plus the tigris mask lines up pretty damn well too.

Anywho (stay on target!); in the same last game there was a Borat look-a-like on the other team using a DMR well within the 30m minimum engagement rule. He shot my glasses from about 6m (through a palette which is banned where I play, it's just viewed as solid cover hence I hadn't shot him first and I had a good spot - even knew he was there! :( ). BANG in the right eye lense. Thank god for ballistic plastics! Had it been mesh I reckon it would have been either a "go through" or a shattered BB. Or it could have been fine. I was furious to say the least... it sounded like breaking glass.

Anyway my point is you never know what some tool is going to do especially if they flounce the rules of the field in play.

Incidently another forum member who was playing got a BB right in the mouth of his tigris mesh and it nearly went all the way through. At least a 6mm BB sized depression, paint gone and mesh spread. Mesh is not as strong as I thought! Again my money's on Borat for that too...

I've had Revision V Ants, ASG strike hybrid goggle glasses (Valken Zulu double lense style), Nuprol Mesh and now Revision Sawflys. Only the Revisions have true ballistic lenses in my list. The SawFlys are the only ones that have got me through a game without pause.

Wear the best goggles you can afford. Put them above any other purchase, it's all useless if you can't see.

6 hours ago, Stainesy86 said:

Myself and my son.

if hes under 18 most (maybe ALL) places will insist on full face protection, might be better to bet him a full mask set up.

But to repeat some of the above dont initially go for the cheapest, eye pro is THE most important part of the hobby. You can play without a gun (wouldnt be fun, but it is possible) but impossible to enter an airsoft field without eyepro!

That being said after lots of options and buying different styles I have actually ended up with a pair of nuprol mesh I bought on site one day as my glasses fogged up completely and have not used anything else since.

Get him a dye i4 can pick them up for £55 right now. Never fogs, looks cool imo, covers your ears so no ear shots, BBs will not go through them any day of the week and sites will actually let your son play with it. 

https://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/paintball-goggles/dye-goggles

I'm sure he could find a colour he likes. Personally owning one I can say that I don't think I'll ever wear something else.

1 hour ago, Albiscuit said:

Never tried a i4, always liked the look of them, just not too keen on full face 

If you know someone that has one ask to try it, it's great. You really forget you have a mask on after a minute or two.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Aengus said:

Get him a dye i4 can pick them up for £55 right now. Never fogs, looks cool imo, covers your ears so no hearing loss, BBs will not go through them any day of the week and sites will actually let your son play with it. 

https://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/paintball-goggles/dye-goggles

I'm sure he could find a colour he likes. Personally owning one I can say that I don't think I'll ever wear something else.

Dye I4 offers zero hearing protection, loud noises will still make you deaf when wearing one. 

Thanks for the help guys, I think I.m gonna try the nuprol Mesh as well as the Revision Sawfly as I like the look of those. I will make sure my son has the full face mask as we are going to hire out first. But he wants to have goggles and a face mask like mine with a bandana around the neck sort of look too.

I have found a couple of decent surlus websites that have the Sawfly's on for about £25-£30 so will give them a shot (no pun intended there lol)

Thanks again for your help guys :)

Bolle Tracker glasses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00270VF0A/

At £10 they are an absolute steel! I play CQB and these have taken numerous shots to the face and specifically lenses without even a mark on them. Plus they are very comfortable.

3 minutes ago, CARBr6 said:

Bolle Tracker glasses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00270VF0A/

At £10 they are an absolute steel! I play CQB and these have taken numerous shots to the face and specifically lenses without even a mark on them. Plus they are very comfortable.

At the old site I used to play at a guy had these and let me tell you he could not see a thing. It was a cold Scottish winter night though.

5 minutes ago, Aengus said:

he could not see a thing.

I've not had any trouble with that and believe me when I say I SWEAT...a LOT

But, a trick I picked up from Triathlons, Johnson Baby Shampoo, a little drip rubbed into each lens (I do this with my swimming goggles) and no fogging!

I should’ve said. 

You rub it in, and then a quick rinse off. With my swimming goggles I literally just dunk in the pool and they stay crystal clear for the duration. 

Archived