UK law on second hand rifs

Dannyboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all I just wanted to no is it legal to buy a second hand rif with out 1 having a ukara and 2 just starting airsoft I mean I think it' is alot of money for 3 game to then just buy my own gun I mean it' is 190 for 3 games 1 befor I'm a member wicth of coures I want to be and 2 my ukara and if this is ok am I ok to take my own gun to become a member after 3 games as this will save a lot of money thanks in advance 

Have a look around the forum, such as the legal FAQ and similar questions

Legally as long as you are over 18 you can purchase an IF or RIF - but the seller is legally responsible under the VCRA and could be subject to a large fine if selling to someone without one of the valid defences under the VCRA.

The ‘airsoft Defence’ is skirmishing at sites with public liability insurance.

This doesn’t legally require you to play 3 times, but the UKARA Scheme is the primary recognised scheme that uses this to establish credibility of the buyer to protect the seller

There is no legal distinction between retail and private sales.  If someone is willing to sell to you then they can do so, but it is at their risk

• Head Moderator

I think you are asking whether you can buy a Realistic Imitation Firearm (RIF) before having a defence?  [no punctuation] . The answer is no, it is illegal to sell you a gun  No-one on the forum should be doing that.

If you are over 18 then you can buy an Imitation Firearm (IF) two-tone gun.  You do not require UKARA to buy a RIF but you do need a defence, i.e. site membership.  You could buy an IF and use that while getting your membership, then buy a RIF.  Personally I would use hire guns and get membership then buy a RIF.

• Supporters

I'm not usually one to point out poor grammar but damn.. Did you even read your question before posting? :lol:

To answer your question: No. That would be illegal. Go get a membership and/or UKARA before buying a RIF. Technically it's on the seller but you'd be hard-pressed to find one who would sell to you without a defense.

Also, £190 for 3 games?! Where on earth are you going to where they charge that much?

27 minutes ago, Dannyboy said:

Ok so really the answer is no ok just wanted to no where I stod on the matter ok so if I buy a IF and take that can I use that to get my membership instead of hirering ? Thanks in advance 

You can use an IF, but remember that you aren’t going to play for free

It will depend on local prices but remember to cost out the price of 3 ‘rental’ days compared to 3 ‘own gunner’ days + the cost of an IF

If you use the time to see what gear is about and what is effective and would suit you once you have some experience rather than a brightly coloured two tone gun now which you need to decide on either what will suit you in the longer term or some cheap disposable rubbish which would affect your fun in the meantime 

• Supporters

Buy an if, then either sell it or transform it when you have achieved a defence status (ukara isn't the only defence, just the most recognised).

at least buying means you have a usable "asset", I'd rather do that than throw cash away on rentals.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Dannyboy said:

Ok so really the answer is no

The answer to the question that you asked is yes.  If you are 18 or over, it is legal for you to buy a RIF.  If you can persuade someone to sell you one, that's entirely their lookout.

UKARA is not the only defence.  http://www.airsoftworld.net, for example, accepts https://www.just-cos.co.uk/ cosplayer insurance.

Or the simplest, lowest risk method is to buy a two-tone and then cover it up while on site with tape until you feel confident that you have a defence that's proportionate for the (realistic) risk of turning it permanently into a RIF.  For what it's wortth, I did so the moment I had mine out of the box, as I had another airsoft skirmish pre-booked - which also serves as the defence to the separate offence of possessing a RIF or IF in public.

However, all that said, do at least one game as a rental first to see if you enjoy it. It's a lot of money to drop on what at the end of the day are very expensive toys.

Archived