New player questions

Fridge4211
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guys and gals, 

I have been looking into Airsoft (again) and am set on playing in the new year.  I am all but set on my primary and sidearm etc. However I am looking for advice on shotguns. Looking to have one as an addition to a sniper which is playable for cqb fields. CYMA seem to have (for my unknowing eyes) good quality for price shotguns. However comparison reviews between varieties is almost if not totally non existent.  Looking for the long tactical 350 LM or Benelli super 90 version. Long barrelled metal is my preferred choice.

does anyone know pros and cons to these varieties or other springed versions.

ta

Fridge

• Supporters

ASG Tri-shot stringer shotguns are fun to play with. Alternatively you've got the TM M870 breacher which is gas operated. 

I would highly recommend getting some sort of AEG for your first gun, however. 

Gas TM Breacher is an amazingly cool rif. 

The Classic Army spring M870 series look good value for <£100 at Fire Support. Mostly metal too. 

14 hours ago, Gepard said:

ASG Tri-shot stringer shotguns are fun to play with. Alternatively you've got the TM M870 breacher which is gas operated. 

I would highly recommend getting some sort of AEG for your first gun, however. 

Cheers. I was also looking at cyma spring and jag arm scattergun orwhatever the varient is.

I am not sure how much i would use a shotgun hence the springer one first. 

Regards the AEG. I will probably play with them prior to getting my ukara number. But i already know that being the "sniper" is the route i want to take. 

Cheers for the advice. 

Unless you have spent a lot of money on a high end sniper rifle, or chucked a lot of expensive upgrades on to a cheaper base model, be prepared to spend a lot of time walking back to the safe zone each game.  Most AEGs will put down 30-40 rounds at you in the time it takes you to get off one round.  Most cheaper sniper rifles have no greater range than an AEG, unless you spend a lot of time and effort getting it to shoot very accurately and use heavier weight ammo. If your one round misses, then it's likely quite a few of the rounds fired from an AEG with find you and take you out of the game.  And please don't think that just because you can see the target through your scope that you can ensure you've hit it. BBs can get easily deflected by wind, leaves, etc. Airsoft is not the same as CoD or Sniper Elite.

RR01. Cheers for the advice mate. Yeah will be slow start perhaps. All part of the learning curve i suppose. I was looking at getting a preupgraded one from bunker 501. The "silo entertainment" starter pack. Waiting to hear back about shipping costs etc. 

Fridge.

• Supporters

If you've been watching airsoft sniper videos on YouTube, please be aware that the most well known of those chaps will have spent thousands on buying and upgrading guns until they found a combination of parts that worked.  Then you're seeing carefully edited highlights of their successes on fields that they know very well, against the Zergiest of opponents.  I'd urge you to play with a rental AEG first and see if you can blag a shot with a sniper rifle before committing hundreds to it.

On shotguns, I'd suggest going very expensive or very cheap.

Accuracy and range needs an adjustable hop up, which means the tri-barrel gas TM M870 (see Silver Fox's videos), or one of the single barrel guns which start from just £20 with a hop unit.  I'm not sure that there's a whole lot of point going for anything in the middle.

That said, I went for a ~£35 ASG tri-shot which is great fun, but without a hop-up the effective range is very short.  You can aim high and hope, but it's usually better to have one BB on target than three all over the place.  When you do get a hit though, lulz are definitely had.

There's no right or wrong answer, it just depends what your play style is going to be.  Which you won't know until you've played.

Cheers for your input. Yeah I get all that and will probably over time pile hundreds of pounds into upgrades.

thankfully where I plan to play to a variety of hire guns from aks to snipers so will give them all a bash before choosing. Need to play at least 3 times before I get a RIF anyway. 

On shotguns as as I see you play with one yourself what about 

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-shotguns-and-grenade-launchers/cyma-cm-355lm-tactical-m870-operators-shotgun-long-black.htm#.Wj_pHiSnyhA

or 

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-shotguns-and-grenade-launchers/1-asg-franchi-sas-12.htm#.Wj_paSSnyhA

both are cheapish with good looks and probably a good siz as I’m pretty big.

fridge

• Supporters

I'd avoid shotguns with a stock.  There's no recoil, so no need to brace them against your shoulder.  What you will want to do is to hold them directly in front of your eyes to look down the sights, and a stock will just get in the way of that.

• Root Admin

Actually I'd say the exact opposite for a springer. Being able to shoulder it will relieve a lot of the repetitive strain of charging the spring over and over - throughout a day it can get tiresome.

If it's gas then no issues (where I'd take a TM Breacher for sure).

Certainly go for a tri-shot shotty though.

• Head Moderator

If you have the money, buy the TM SGR-12, it is the best AEG shotgun [in my opinion]. It has 3 independent hops and option of semi-auto and full auto (3 BBs per trigger pull). Heavy weight gun but no need to shoulder it..

• Supporters
On 24/12/2017 at 8:32 PM, proffrink said:

Actually I'd say the exact opposite for a springer. Being able to shoulder it will relieve a lot of the repetitive strain of charging the spring over and over - throughout a day it can get tiresome.

Fair point.  I've only been using mine in CQB where it's usually a case of hit or be hit, and I go through maybe a few tens of shots during a game.

Archived