A Few Questions...

Joppsta
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello forum, me and the brother are intending to get into airsoft and are currently getting a couple of basics together. For the most part he's been doing a lot of the research and digging around online so far as I'm busy for the most part with work and the collection of snakes I keep.

As it's the first gear we're intending to pick up his main goal/objective has been getting stuff that's reasonably priced but performs. This has led us to picking up the following handgun: https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/y-p-gc104-m92-replica-co2-nbb-pistol-in-blue.html

I'm curious what other magazines this would accept or is there a standard within airsoft firearms? Having not been out to an airsoft field yet obviously I have no idea how many spares I should carry and whatnot but I feel that a couple for the sidearm is probably a good idea? I know his intention is to get a sniper rifle so the sidearm may be used more by him. I'm personally between a rifle and an assault rifle.

The stuff we've been looking at is 

Sniper Rifle: http://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/jg-vsr-10--bar-10-airsoft-bolt-action-sniper-rifle-21259-p.asp

Assault Rifle: http://airsoftzone.co.uk/airsoft-guns/starter-packs/starter-pack-deal-with-cm16-m4-r8-l-bright-green-with-red-dot-sight-aeg-gng

He's dead set on his rifle but I'm open minded. Not really fussed if I'm running around with either or.

Budget I'm looking at for my primary is preferably £150 but can stretch to £200. I am handy so I'm not scared of messing around and doing upgrades.

Regards,

- Joppsta

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  You do not need a sidearm to start with, especially one from a shop with BB in the name.  Better off saving the pistol for a later date and spending the extra money on your primary gun, eye protection, and footwear.  Have a read of the pinned (sticky) topics in each section, they should help.

Hello :) I'd agree, put the cash towards your primary, eye/face protection & boots.

It's probably best to play at least one game with rentals to make your minds up on any gun purchases... to get a feel for it, see what other players are carrying and it'll help you both decide how in the thick of it you want to be... 

IF you haven't done much pistol shooting previously I'd concentrate on your primary.

IF your bro hasn't done much rifle target shooting, I'd opt for an Assault rifle. He can still do single shots...

Both pistols and single shot rifles take more discipline and skill than an assault rifle IMHO. Especially with moving targets.

IF you really want a pistol; spend a little more and get a WE or a TM branded pistol if budget allows. See what model you like then go watch reviews, search forum posts etc... & repeat. Both brands do that model you've highlighted.

How many pistol mags? It depends on how much you use it tbh. You may not know till you start playing.

I carry 4 to 5 normal mags and one extended mag, others may only carry one and never use it.... I use my pistol a lot! :D

• Supporters

Welcome! :) I agree with the above. There's some great advice here so I'd have a read through some of the previous threads if I were you. 

In short, I'd recommend that you two play a few games beforehand to make sure you like it and then get a couple of CM16s. Sidearms are fun, but typically not used. I'd stay away from bolt actions for now. YouTube doesn't give a good representation of what the role entails and don't offer the same flexibility as an AK or M4, which to me is far more important as a beginner.

One high cap can last an entire round if you're not too trigger happy. Personally I have at least x3 120rnd midcaps as I play quite forward and aggressive. I often carry more mags than I actually use in a round. 

If you're under 18 you'll need to wear full face protection such as a paintball mask. I'd go over UKARA but I really don't have time right now and it's been discussed many times before. 

Hello and welcome for the 4th time :D

I'm not even gonna bother with a lecture as everyone else has done it before

But I can recommend doing heavy research into airsoft before buying guns and stuff. Especially using rental kits at the site you plan on playing as experience beats all at the end of the day.

If you make the first one count you will be happier in the long run. Its painful paying £150+ on a gun and then hating it after 1 skirmish and having to sell it to then buy another gun. 

Anyway I'll stop my post here.

Tldr: welcome to airsoft, use some rentals to get a feel for the sport, and do your research before making too many purchases.

I'd advise your brother stay away from trying to snipe, at least until he's got into the sport a little more! For a start, while that rifle is a fantastic base for a sniper rifle, it will need a fair few upgrades before it can perform at the same levels as the many Youtube videos out there. He'll be looking at doubling or even tripling the budget to get to the point where he can outrange regular AEGs. Barrels, trigger unit, spring guides, hop units; sniper rifles can be expensive to get to the level you want. 

Best bet for both of you is to buy a basic starter AEG like the one you've listed. Add boots, quality eye protection and some cheap overalls. An extra mag if you like (almost all AEG M4 mags with fit that one you listed). Past that, don't try to work out what you need before you play. Play with the basics, build from there, not the other way around ;)

34 minutes ago, Greg147 said:

don't try to work out what you need before you play. Play with the basics, build from there, not the other way around ;)

That right there is advice I should have said, damn it, stealing my ideas before I've even made them :P

But seriously, it's easier to build up from nothing, than it is to buy everything and force yourself to play to what you bought. If you don't enjoy it, you are forced to sell it which is money lost.

I play with a some DPMs, boots, a tac rig, some m4 pouches, and a rental m4 with 3 hicap mags. (and then goggles and a lower face mask obviously.)

It's bare minimum outside wearing civvies and not using a tac rig. (Which I have seen, some guys wear eye protection, jeans and hoodie, and then just used a rental gun)

• Supporters
1 hour ago, LightningCh said:

But seriously, it's easier to build up from nothing, than it is to buy everything and force yourself to play to what you bought.

Yes! I've seen probably half a dozen people (mainly kids) come down to the site for the first time with some sort of bolt action rifle and a full loadout and get frustrated that they're not hitting people and getting outranged and outgunned by the rentals. More often than not they quit straight after. It's a shame. I really think YouTube videos (specifically sniper gameplays) are killing it for the sport. Expectations are way too high to begin with. 

8 minutes ago, Gepard said:

I really think YouTube videos (specifically sniper gameplays) are killing it for the sport. Expectations are way too high to begin with. 

Yes! Loads of kids with bolt actions at my site as well.

And yes, there are loads of airsoft snipers on youtube, and all of them have some extreme range and accuracy which is amazing to watch in most cases, but for kids, they think that they haven't spent ££££ on upgrades. And that a basic £100 sniper will do what they do.

Get some decent PPE and Surplus gear,  a £200 rif - like a basic TM AEG, or G&G Combat Machine and go from there. Check out the classifieds on here. 

Look at the retailers subsection on here and buy from a reputable outlet. 

Archived