Son Just Starting - Advice Needed Please

New2Airsoft
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My son (11) has just discovered airsoft and is very much starting out and learning as he goes along.

He has an old hand-me-down MP5 from (I think) Cyma (?) which he's having a lot of fun with.

Obviously I want him to learn to airsoft responsibly and, as this is his chosen hobby, I am keen to encourage him to live within his budget too. As he's interested and keen I want to help and encourage him all I can, however, I have zero experience with airsoft and hence am feeling my way a bit!

So I have some (probably very stupid - in which case, forgive me) questions:-

- He wants to get a better/more powerful battery for his gun. What should he be looking for, where and what should he expect to pay (he's on a pocket money budget)?

- He needs more 6mm BBs. Where is the best place online to buy these cheaply (I predict he's going to get through a lot!)?

- Are there any other online airsoft groups or forums that I should join?

Any and all advice gratefully received.

Many thanks.

• Supporters

This exact topic was posted about a week ago.

No, but seriously.. have a read through some of the other threads in this area. More notably the pinned posts. There's a ton of useful info out there. ;)

OK great, thanks. I'll do that. Apologies if I'm going over old ground (but, as I say, I'm completely new to this).

However, I hope at least two of my questions were more specific than general - regarding the battery and ammunition. Sadly, I have no idea on this stuff!

BB's you can get anywhere, even Amazon. Personally I try to buy bio as the less plastic left in any environment is a good thing.

Battery, well you'll need to do some homework. My son's MP5 runs nimh so yours might to. Forget the "more powerful" battery and find a 7.4v lipo that fits. No good having a large capacity 2200mah battery that won't fit in the gun. You'll also need to know what connector you need. Is it deans, mini-tamiya? You'll want a battery of the same connection and a charger suitable for lipo.

Archived