Popups to malicious websites

Gepard
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Lately I've been getting redirected to a website called 'rgshark'. It happens when I click on the page sometimes. As recommended, I've started this thread so that others may add their replies if they experience the same thing. So far this seems to only be a problem on my Android and I haven't had any popups on PC thus far. Attached is a screenshot of what I see. 

Screenshot_2017-12-02-18-31-33.thumb.png.6cf4076a2d1d0dbf617afc1871abf213.png

• Head Moderator
12 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Lately I've been getting redirected to a website called 'rgshark'. It happens when I click on the page sometimes.

@Devastator this needs Root Admin to look at the issue.

• Supporters

It seems to happen when I click on hyperlinks, if that helps solve the problem. 

Hi guys

I had the same thing just now. Pop ups to the same malicious sites while just browsing threads. Doesn't happen on other sites.

I haven’t experienced these popups in this forum, but a different forum I use has occasional surges of similar popups.

The admins there traced many of them to specific advertisers which accounted for the sudden surges.

Another strange trend they found was when members were on WiFi (both public and private) rather than on mobile data

To help out admins it’s an idea to post up what system you use to browse, and if you’re willing / manage to spot it highlight what adverts you are getting on the forum at around the same time (remember that a lot of internet advertising is targeted in line with your browsing history, so if you have secrets you might not want to highlight the adverts you get !)

In my case I mostly browse on an iPhone, some of the time on a windows laptop and I haven’t experienced these popups.  Currently I’m getting Citroen adverts 

Do you have any antivirus on your phone/device? There's plenty of free android ones out there. Get them from a trusted source - I'd suggest play store only.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sophos.smsec

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

Yeah, it still happens now and then for me too. Still don't know what exactly triggers it or why. 

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Devastator said:

Probably have a dodgy browser extension or other adware installed on your device. You can rule out browser extensions by going incognito.

He's online! You've gotta tell me how many notifications you had. 

I don't think I have any adware on my device. I reset it just a couple weeks ago. 

I get the rgshark one from time to time, in incognito, on a vpn, on a replacement model of my Galaxy S6. Seems to trigger at random while moving betwen pages and I have to force close Chrome to get it to disappear for a while.
Note: never had it on pc, just the usual banner ads

• 3 weeks later...

Archived