ParcelForce damaged RIF which was insured

Monty
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Basically in a bit of a faff - I sent off a Cyma AK to a user on here, they received it and found the whole back end of it sheered off (the receiver) during transit. I've got the before and after pictures - paid quite a bit for the insured postage, if I made a claim would they simply dismiss it because it's a prohibited item.?

Thanks all. 

15 minutes ago, BigStew said:

It's not prohibited but they will probably argue poor packaging but stick the claim in. 

Careful before giving advice on these kinds of issues buddy.

Straight from Parcel Force: "All firearms, other than low-powered air weapons sent within the UK (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), including imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; components of firearms and all other items similar to, or resembling, the foregoing are prohibited."

- https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restrictions

That's pretty clear that you can't send something that would be defined as a "Realistic Imitation Firearm".

You can send airsoft ammo, but not RIFs. A manager at a post office also said I could send airsoft gas mags as long as they were depressurised, but this could also fall under the "components of firearms (resembling)".

Since companies these days do everything they can to wriggle out of paying up, I think you're going to have a tough time. You could have possibly made a claim if you had declared it as an air weapon (which is described as a gun which fires pellets using compressed air), but to be honest, you're probably buggered. I use UPS, and it's a pain in the arse and the service is terrible, but as far as I know, you can still send RIFs.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Careful before giving advice on these kinds of issues buddy.

Straight from Parcel Force: "All firearms, other than low-powered air weapons sent within the UK (air rifles, air guns and air pistols), including imitations and antiques; paint-ball or toy guns; taser guns; components of firearms and all other items similar to, or resembling, the foregoing are prohibited."

- https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restrictions

That's pretty clear that you can't send something that would be defined as a "Realistic Imitation Firearm".

You can send airsoft ammo, but not RIFs. A manager at a post office also said I could send airsoft gas mags as long as they were depressurised, but this could also fall under the "components of firearms (resembling)".

Since companies these days do everything they can to wriggle out of paying up, I think you're going to have a tough time. You could have possibly made a claim if you had declared it as an air weapon (which is described as a gun which fires pellets using compressed air), but to be honest, you're probably buggered. I use UPS, and it's a pain in the arse and the service is terrible, but as far as I know, you can still send RIFs.

Thanks a lot for this. It was declared as an air weapon, but I'm expecting to not make much progress with the claim. Shit happens. :)

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I've just returned from the post office to get a quote for sending my rifle and pistol to GearTech and was explicitly told I couldn't send imitation firearms with Parcel Farce.

:/

Should I have just said it's an air rifle?

Yeah I've been told at the post office that they can't be sent.

Instead, I just get Parcelforce to collect from my address. Never need to declare what's inside and I don't think they even care. I've sent and received 30 +/- RIFs with PF E48 and never had an issue with the contents.

Back to the topic, it's definitely going to be difficult. If it was claimed as an air gun then I'd suggest sticking to that during the process.

1 hour ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

They are talking crap and have their info wrong.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/prohibited-goods---personal-customers

It would be classed as sporting use.

The Royal Mail link you posted leads to another page where it says "Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are permitted", so this suggests that Royal Mail DOES accept RIFS (if you declare them).

The Parcel Force link I had leads to a page where it says "All firearms...including imitations and antiques...items resembling the foregoing are prohibited" (except for air guns), so this suggests they DON'T accept RIFS at all (prohibited, not restricted).

As far as I was aware, Parcel Force was a part of Royal Mail, but it appears they have different shipping regulations. OP sent with PF not RM, so I would assume it would be the PF regulations that apply.

Either way, it's still confusing.

:blink::blink::blink:

23 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I send all mine out on Parcel Force 48 and never had an issue and I have sent a lot.

Parcel force and Royal mail are two sides of the same coin.

That's what I thought - yet they have two completely different policies.

1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

The Royal Mail link you posted leads to another page where it says "Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are permitted", so this suggests that Royal Mail DOES accept RIFS (if you declare them).

The Parcel Force link I had leads to a page where it says "All firearms...including imitations and antiques...items resembling the foregoing are prohibited" (except for air guns), so this suggests they DON'T accept RIFS at all (prohibited, not restricted).

As far as I was aware, Parcel Force was a part of Royal Mail, but it appears they have different shipping regulations. OP sent with PF not RM, so I would assume it would be the PF regulations that apply.

Either way, it's still confusing.

:blink::blink::blink:

11 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

That's what I thought - yet they have two completely different policies.

Policies on prohibited and restricted items can vary by which postal service is selected, they can also vary on commercial contracts,  and the law also varies on the carriage methods such as surface mail / air mail (even inland could end up by airmail)

@Monty you sent it insured and declared it

Make your claim

There are a few people saying they send many via PF without issue as I have,unfortunately issues may only arise when you claim..same as car insurance.

Surely they should not have delivered it if they thought it prohibited (as it was a declared item)?

Id put the claim in, you went through the process of paying for it and declaring it, just stick to your guns (no pun intended) and remember in all correspondence to keep calling it an air gun,the worst they can say is no! 

You can send via Parcel Force 48, but your only be covered to £100. When I've sold airsoft weapons second hand, I always point this out. If the person buying isn't comfortable with a 48 hour service and only £100 cover, then the sale doesn't go through. I've had no problem locally using two different post offices to post via Parcel Force, like it states in Parcel Forces rules. Airsoft weapons are low powered air rifles that are RIFS. And here in lies the problem, like all law its open to interpretation. 

Even the police on section 1 fire arms licences county to county interpret the law differently..

1 hour ago, dave1 said:

You can send via Parcel Force 48, but your only be covered to £100. When I've sold airsoft weapons second hand, I always point this out. If the person buying isn't comfortable with a 48 hour service and only £100 cover, then the sale doesn't go through. I've had no problem locally using two different post offices to post via Parcel Force, like it states in Parcel Forces rules. Airsoft weapons are low powered air rifles that are RIFS. And here in lies the problem, like all law its open to interpretation. 

Even the police on section 1 fire arms licences county to county interpret the law differently..

£100 is the standard insurance, enter the higher value and they offer ‘enhanced insurance’

eg using Parcel Force online for a big 6kg parcel on 48 hour delivery it came out at £16.40 then offered me an extra £12.75 to cover the £500 value 

You can not purchased enhanced cover for an low power air rifle, its quite clearly stated on Parcel Force website https://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/prohibitions-and-restrictions

To quote Parcel Force " 1. These items must be sent on an express48 service only

2. These items must be sent via the Post Office only, and presented at the counter

3. Enhanced compensation cover is not available "

They may of let you purchased it at the Post Office, but I doubt if you claimed you would of got anywhere. So you wasted money.

I'm 32 years old, and been airsofting since the age of 16 years old. There was a time when restrictions on sending airsoft replicas was none existent. Just like there never used to be any restrictions on purchasing airsoft replicas. As you can imagine I've bought and sold loads of guns in 16 years in the sport.

Archived