Noob saying hello, looking for advice please!

DiceyRicey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Gents,

hello to all, I'm looking for some advice from experienced players, it would be appreciated!

I'm what you'd call a "mature" player (ie. Old) I've been to combat ready air soft in Derby (CQB) twice now, had great fun. I'm looking forward to be able to buy an M4 based gun soon.

Would love a realistic recoil type but I'm thinking of getting a more basic model, until I'm more experienced and have a clear idea of exactly what I want.

Quickly read your forum and guides (brilliant) and the G&G combat series seems to be very popular and about the budget I was looking for. Would there be any alternatives and their pros and cons?

I want to do both CQB and outdoor games, but will probably prefer outdoor. Mil sims sound good also, anyone know of local places in Derby/ Derbyshire and what sort of gear would work for both preferably.

cheers

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

• Supporters

Welcome. Other popular starter guns include those by JG and CYMA. The CM16 is a fine choice for your first gun, however. 

Welcome.

Indoor = short gun, outdoor = long gun. Both same range, fps etc. So a gun matches your play style. No reason you can't play a short gun outdoors. But a long gun indoors is hard in tight corners.

I'm an indoor player so I like short guns. I went for an M4 to start, but now just got a CYMA AK (CM045C) because of the folding stock to make it even shorter.

By all accounts you wont go wrong with G&G. I've bought 2 CYMA's my AK and my son's MP5 SD6. The build quality is very good. Heavy stuff though being all metal. So get a sling ;)

I have 3 G&G guns, Cm16 R8-L (Large), the Wasp, and now the SRXL.

All fantastic, all fun, all for different types of gameplay.

The last 2, are more CQB (in my opinion) than the CM16-L because the CM16 is so long, that it is hard as @warlord suggested. 

Yeah I went for the G & G GC 7" wild hog in the end, after firing a few.

Good price from patrol base, Huddersfield. they seemed knowledgeable and helpful

(Need more than one till though :unsure:)

Cheers for the advise guys :rolleyes:

Gear wise buy ex army stuff. It will last longer and is usually  alot cheaper. 

Good boots are a must.

Waterproofs would be handy.

Keep all your gear lightweight and bare minimum. You Dont wanna be hauling a tonne of stuff about and knacker yourself in the first half hour and or cause injury especially if your doing milsim events

Reccomend 58 pattern webbing very cheap very light and almost indestructible

Hope this helps 

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Gear wise buy ex army stuff. It will last longer and is usually  alot cheaper. 

Good boots are a must.

Waterproofs would be handy.

Keep all your gear lightweight and bare minimum. You Dont wanna be hauling a tonne of stuff about and knacker yourself in the first half hour and or cause injury especially if your doing milsim events

Reccomend 58 pattern webbing very cheap very light and almost indestructible

Hope this helps 

@DiceyRicey - ignore most of this, 58 pattern webbing was great in 1958, things have moved on a little since then.  Army issue is generally made by the lowest bidder and designed to be replaceable at zero cost to the soldier; as a result it's generally all a bit crap.  There's loads and loads of threads on here about budget/not budget gear. 

@commanderpegasus420 - if you're going to give out advice to newbies on 'milsims' etc, you need to go to at least one first.  Don't be the guy that regurgitates information he's read from other unreliable sources. 

Don't get to hung up on gear initially. As a more mature player

concentrate on some items that will make your day comfier, more pleasent and less likely to end in injury.

Boots. Pretty much essential. By all means get army boots, but you'll find decent walking boots are lighter, comfier and more likely to keep your feet warm and dry while offering plenty of ankle support.

Knee pads. I use quality downhill mountain bike ones. They're comfy, stay where you put them and have clever armour that remains flexible until it receives an impact. They fit under my combats and are the only reason that I've been able to walk off the field on a couple of occasions.

Good quality wicking base layers. Again be dry, warm and comfy.

If you want to look the part then take your pick from surplus army issue from all over the world. No one is going to judge you if it doesn't match. It just needs to work.

Carry as much as you're comfortable with. Options include plate carriers, vests, battle belts... I keep mine simple... Just as long as you've got somewhere to stash a bottle of water!

As for a gun, don't forget you'll need batteries, charger and magazines. I generally suggest that you avoid packages as the cynic in me is of the opinion that it's just another way suppliers can palm off low quality goods on the unsuspecting.

Don't fall into the trap of immediately assuming your new gun will need all sorts of upgrades. Clean the barrel, use decent quality 0.25-0.28g BBs, good quality lipo batteries and go and enjoy yourself. Save the money for a better gun in the future, and then if you want to start playing around with the internals you've got your original and you don't run the risk of trashing your only gun.

Ignore cheeseright Hes The type that shows up with a plate carrier and nvg goggles to airsoft

Regardless of wether ive been to airsoft yet or not Had a set of 58 pattern for 16 years and used it alot for several of my hobbies never had a problem with it all.

Its cheap cheerful and will see you through everytime.

Thats why i reccomended it to you 

• Supporters
43 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Ignore cheeseright Hes The type that shows up with a plate carrier and nvg goggles to airsoft

Dude you haven't even played a game yet, let alone a milsim. Maybe you should stay out of these threads until you have a couple games under your belt yeah?

Thanks for info, I'll bear it in mind.

Can you give me advice as to what maintenance would be needed on the gun, and the frequency of any work?

there is nothing in the "manual" supplied with gun, what's that about?!

• Supporters

Maintenance on the gun:

Remove battery after using the gun, put a freshly charged battery on when going out to play.

Keep mud out of the end of the barrel(pretty much a common sense point)

Clean the barrel with some rubbing alcohol a lint free cloth and the cleaning rod no more than once a month.

Thats pretty much it.( Depending on who you to talk too)

As internals go, if your handy with tinkering you can do a few of the cheap/easy to do upgrades and change to the grease to a decent quality grease. Other than that, leave it till it breaks!

Look on YouTube for video guides for anything you want to know a little more about. If you can’t find anything there, ask in the technical pages on here and one of the resident Gurus will happily help you.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, DiceyRicey said:

Thanks for info, I'll bear it in mind.

Can you give me advice as to what maintenance would be needed on the gun, and the frequency of any work?

there is nothing in the "manual" supplied with gun, what's that about?!

Feed it good quality BBs and make sure your batteries are charged.  That's as far as 'maintenance' goes.  The gearbox is a sealed unit that keeps the grease contained.  

You may want to give your barrel a clean every few months or so,  I give mine a visual inspection by looking through it at a light every now and then to make sure it's clean.  If it looks shiny on the inside and there's no obvious build up of grime then I'd say if it aint broke... 
If you do see a bit of grime though, a small bit of lint free paper towel soaked in some kind of alcohol or spirit based cleaner pulled through will do the job.  Some people use cigarette filters soaked in alcohol instead, your preference as to how to do it, just make sure the hop-up is wound all the way off and DO NOT under any circumstance apply any kind of lubrication to either the barrel or hop-up. 

Archived