WE G18C Issues?

richmt11
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Good morning All,

I recently listed my G18C in frustration after another weekend of not getting to grips with it. Sale thread here; https://airsoft-forums.uk/index.php?/topic/38857-we-g18c-gbbp-gen4/

Now since i listed it, it seems a lot of gas guns have gone up and mine may be over priced given the current going rate. Unfortunately i have to sell to buy (wifes rules). So i wasnt listing it trying to get shot of a bad gun, i genuinely want to keep this if it'll work for me! So with that ill probably sell a rifle to pay for an AEP for the interim, as well as buy upgrades/repair parts as needed for this, as i really do want it.

So here is the issue. Since ive got the gun i basically get 6-8 shots out of a mag maximum. After about 3 solid shots i may get the odd auto fire, despite being in semi.

Now im a service tech for various equipment/machinery so i know my way around some stuff, as i have opened fixed and upgraded my AEG's thus far with no problems. I opened it up stripped it all down etc etc to find the problem.

It does the same/similar with all mags. I have WE, TM and an unbranded. One guy said you should get mags that match the gun because the valves open more or less depending what the gun needs. But surely not open so much so i only get 6 shots?

So what ive found online and what i do is as follows;

- Mags are filled upside down

- Mags are filled until i hear no noise (full?)

- My TM (which was brand new) and the unbranded mag spurts liquid back out when its full. Where as the WE just falls silent. Don't know which is normal or if all of it is

- I have tried filling the mags and purging as i do to ensure no air/gas is in the mag so its only liquid filled

- I have a lot of cold gas spurt on my hand from the rear of the slide when firing, maybe too much gas is coming through? This lead me to check piston and compression

- When i stripped it i found the pistol seal VERY loose fitting. And i mean its gushing lost of air through when u block up and blow

- I replaced the piston head with one i 3D printed and made an o-ring to fit. Compression is perfect and the loading nozzle moves freely. Oiled up and tested the same

- Compression when blowing down barrel through nozzle and blocking ports is also perfect

So what can i check to confirm faulty without dropping money on loads of components to find nothing helping. Hence why i made the piston seal, which is lucky i could as id dropped 10-20 sheets on that just to find no fix..

All help greatly appreciate.

Cheers

Rich

I don’t have any experience with the 18c, but I have rebuilt about a dozen TM/WE G17’s.

First, WE Mags do fill better, and exactly as you’ve described.

TM mags are just not up to rapid fire in a WE or upgraded TM G17. I use WE mags in my TM, I’ve given up with the finicky TM mags.

As for gas usage, what gas are you using? The best results I’ve had on WE and upgraded TM pistols is Guarder black, Nuprol 2 works well too. But, I haven’t found anything other than WE mags or upgraded TM mags work well with the higher pressure gas.

Are you certain no components are broken broken or missing from the 18c? Did you buy it new, so you know it’s all as it should be?

Where are you based btw?

rdb

Hi RDB,

I'm near Cambridge. I do travel for work, however business is always slow near xmas so if anybody is offering to give it a look I may be in their neck of the woods sometime, or can plan it in.

i am using the ultrair which I got from my local field. Some people who have looked at the gun have charged in some nuprol red and black at times had a shot and said all seems ok and blamed something like cold or mag comparability. But I see on YouTube people with stock guns shooting at least half a mag in cold weather lol, I can just make 6 shots or so! I’m testing since Monday in my house which is 18-20 degrees shooting into a box I made to fit a chrono onto when I get one..

whats weird is I had the problem when I only had a WE mag. My buddy also had similar faults with his various pistols. So he jumped ship and went aep. Now I didn’t look into his at all because of course I have an invested interest in mine so I don’t know if he had exact same issues. But was just putting it down to newbieness and wanted rid after last weekend.

before the weekend is when I brought my extra 2 mags as I went balls deep and thought I’ll get them as maybe it’s the mag or something. So it’s only last Sunday I knew it’s doing it on all mags. And actually only after I listed it I started stripping it and messing around.

The gun was indeed second hand, it has very little use and actually if I’m honest when I picked it up it was actually fine I’m sure I tested a whole mag on pickup and since I messed around at home with a few mags no problem. I just remember when I got to my first game went to the chrono took 2 shots he said it’s fine and then puff no gas. And I guess sometime around then or before then it started. The gun was like new when I got it clearly hadn’t had much use. He said he used it a couple of times but had other guns so was just moving some stuff on which seemed genuine and you could see it was in good nick.

and lastly everything looks fine inside just the compression as I mentioned. I’ve watched several strip down and assembly videos and I can’t see anything which looks broken or damaged on my gun..

urm.. help! Lol.

Cambridge is a bit too far  for me to drop in.

What gas are you using as of now? And have you tried semi fire waiting a couple of seconds between each shot?

strangely enough, i have just blasted maybe 20 shots out of the we mag and the unbranded mag! Its the most ive had.

I just dismantled the trigger assembly because i noticed the hammer wasnt retracting fully when i was manually operating the switches as i could see the slide would operate them. Then when i had it apart i realised the silver lever is like a hammer reset as thats the last that operates by the slide and knocks the hammer all the way home. So i messed around with it more couldnt find any fault. Then refitted it to the gun.

I forgot to bolt it down as i was messing about then put a mag in and my slide kicked up when it was back and jammed. I release it, no damage (thankfully). Bolted the hammer assembly back in, put in the WE mag and got to 20 shots and stopped counting. Took mag out and refilled.

I then put the unbranded one in and fine, got to maybe 15 shots and stopped and refilled.

Im low on gas so dont want to leave mags without gas until i can grab some more.

now the only issues it seems; I put the TM mag in and it cycled once but didnt reset the trigger, tried again and the slide stopped partway on return (after slide lock) so i removed it to update here. On both WE and Unbranded mags it occasionally did 3 shot (give or take burst).

This actually is the first time ive dry fired it since starting fault finding, so i dont know if thats more or less efficient than having bb's in like i have done so far?

Cheers

Rich

Just checked TM mag its fine 10+ shots and stopped. Still the odd 2-2 shot burst.

Maybe i should get a new trigger assembly to be safe, there must have been something iffy there??

Scratch that! My gas can is basically out now, so ive loaded mags up to store them gassed and can no longer test until some more comes in the post.

But i loaded the WE mag with 7 bb's and i made it through 5. So only an issue when im shooting BB's.

Also when i was dry firing there wasnt so much gas waste (less cold splashing on my hand) than when i had bb's.

Ive got the hop completely removed, to make sure. faulty/swollen bucking restricting bb movement so requires more gas to shoot?

I also only got about 220 on the chrono the weekend and it was nearer 300 first time i took it out, so maybe again hop restriction?

Cheers

Rich

Hmm, I think that’s your issue.

you dry fired indoors at room temp?

Ive used Ultrair, doesn’t work for me as well as Nuprol 2.

Get a small can of something like Guarder Black, fill and allow to warm, then try again.

like I said, I tried TM mags with everything, all they did was splurge gas everywhere unless I had a completely standard TM pistol.

Never had a single cycling issue with WE mags and the correct gas 

Ok in that case the next gas I’ll pickup to try will be nuprol Black.

dryfire was indoors at room temp, felt like it could just keep going! Where as with bbs always sounds like it’s about to give up!

my aim will be eventually to use propane when I get using it more regular as I’ve got 3 big bottles in the garage and a couple of refillable ones will just need an adaptor. Of course baby steps but should propane be ok for this gun or will it struggle like on the Asg?

I’ve never used Propane or Nuprol Black, only Guarder.

Pretty sure you’ll need to let the mags rest and warm up after filling, but other than that you should be fine with the Nuprol

Apologies Nurpol Black stuck in my head, even though you was saying Guarder. Ill give that one a go then and report back. Typical if thats the cause though i go stripping stuff down and its fine!

Thanks for your time today much appreciated

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Id just like to update on the "issue", due to the many threads i saw which never came to a conclusion! So for anybody in future searching this up...

Basically it did come down to the gas! Its hard to believe it makes such a difference. But for future reference here is what i have found thus far;

- Firstly i had the ASG gas my local field supplies. This was brought around October and i never had success with it, in the milder weather in October through to the colder weather.

- I purchased some Nurpol RED gas as i found this to be the lower temperature gas. This operates the gun flawlessly, and is even able to fully operate the slide with no issues when using the TM magazine! I had read that to get enough power through the valve you'd have to cut down come of the posts to increase flow. At present no mods are necessary.

- I purchased the Madbull propane adaptor, which i have fitted to a brand new Colemans propane bottle which has also operated the gun with no issues. This again also includes operation when using the TM magazine.

So when i am at my local field in summer time when conditions may be optimal for the ASG gas im going to get a bottle and do some science. Until then thats all i have.

I have also purchased a CM.030, so im 50-50 on wether ill keep the WE G18 as i need to buy more stuff and the wife doesnt like my purchasing habits... But we will see :) Happy airsofting!

Cheers

Rich

Archived