Pattern 58 webbing fit

Nicky blue eyes
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello. A few weeks ago I impule bought some aforementioned webbing. How ever the yoke seems a little on the short side i.e. the belt comes up about 3 or 4 inches above my waist. Is this normal?  I'm only 5"6 so not overly tall. Have I purched the Tyrion Lannister version? And are there additional stapage options to make it longer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

• Head Moderator

The yoke sits on your back below your shoulders. The two shorter straps go down your back and connect to the two loops on top of the kidney pouches (for mess tins). The two small belt loops are positioned at bottom of belt for poncho roll.   The longer straps drop down your chest to the top loops of the two ammo pouches, one on left and one right.. All the straps are adjustable. That's basically it.  One size fits all.

Maybe add a picture or two to show what you have done.  Google will help you to.

With my more modern webbing it sits lower. Especially on my back. The front pulls down and the back part of the belt rises a bit. Got to say its a lot lighter than my s95 webbing. If this is the only adjustments on it so be it. But I didnt want to look like a comlete muppet if there is a simple solution or somthing I over looked. Apollogies about the pyjamas.

• Head Moderator

Hard to see from picture. Are your ammo pouches fixed on the belt properly?  They look as if positioned wider than normal.

2 hours ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

1511128915703570110450.jpg

Thats about right.

Remember back then trouser were worn alot higher up above or just on the belly button.

oh and the ammo pouches are meant to be on your sides like the pic. so you can kneel/Prone and still able to use them.

The thing with webbings and assault vests is they are meant to sit above the hips to allow full hip rotation in all directions. 

The pouches are meant to sit around your backside area not the frontal area so you can change mags when prone. And you can use the front pockets on a combat jacket as mag dumps.

Some tips ......

Tape the rings and straps so they dont clink and flail about. 

Use 2 small piece of tape on the female belt connection to stop slipping (alternatively you could swap it out for a modern clip design)

Other info which could be useful to you...

There are several different manufacturers as they were copied by a few other countries.

American/dutch Alice clip type pouches will fit str8 on but will need abit of paracord to keep them steady but if you use (m4) stanag mags it is worth changing over to alice pouches.

Cut the shovel hoops off the back of the yokes to reduce weight.

All in all very exceptional set of webbing. Had mine 16 years and not once let me down or broken.

You will not have any issues using this gear and i rate it over the modern stuff.

Only niggles are the metal parts rattle abit and the male femal clip can unclip sometimes but bit of tape soon stops both problems.

Best of luck with it all

Pegasus

• Head Moderator

A picture paints a thousand words, this may help.

58 pattern webbing rear.jpg

5 hours ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

The thing with webbings and assault vests is they are meant to sit above the hips to allow full hip rotation in all directions. 

The pouches are meant to sit around your backside area not the frontal area so you can change mags when prone. And you can use the front pockets on a combat jacket as mag dumps.

Some tips ......

Tape the rings and straps so they dont clink and flail about. 

Use 2 small piece of tape on the female belt connection to stop slipping (alternatively you could swap it out for a modern clip design)

Other info which could be useful to you...

There are several different manufacturers as they were copied by a few other countries.

American/dutch Alice clip type pouches will fit str8 on but will need abit of paracord to keep them steady but if you use (m4) stanag mags it is worth changing over to alice pouches.

Cut the shovel hoops off the back of the yokes to reduce weight.

All in all very exceptional set of webbing. Had mine 16 years and not once let me down or broken.

You will not have any issues using this gear and i rate it over the modern stuff.

Only niggles are the metal parts rattle abit and the male femal clip can unclip sometimes but bit of tape soon stops both problems.

Best of luck with it all

Pegasus

It seems like a bit of a sin to chop it around. However tapeing the buggery out of some of it seems like a plan

Archived