Getting a plate carrier to fit better?

Mantle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

I have a flyye fast attack plate carrier (generation 1) but I cannot get it to fit properly, even when fully adjusted. It still just seems to ride up if I lift my arms or perform a similar movement and won't go back into place. I've fully adjusted both sides to make it as tight as possible but the problem still persists. I'm 5ft11, ~83kg with a 42" chest so I'm a bit puzzled as to how I can't get it to fit right. Anyone got any tips or solutions, without buying a new plate carrier? Am I just doing it all wrong? Cheers!

• Supporters

Do you have any plate "fillers" fitted ?, either fake plates or a homemade substitute work, give the carrier the correct shape, stops sagging & should allow you to release the straps a smidge, just enough to allow movement but without it riding up etc.

• Supporters

It's not the best design if I'm honest. Really what you want is a skeletal or elastic cummberbund for a JPC. The straps provided are terrible for keeping it in position, regardless of whether you have plates or not. Perhaps you could add some weight to the front or rear to stop it riding up? Other than that I can't really think of anything besides getting out a sewing machine and modifying it. 

Even if fit correctly it's still going to slide about. It's the lack of cummberbund that's the issue. I used to own one, so I can tell you from experience you're not the only one with this issue. 

Yeah the vest came with 2 foam plates, the fit is drastically worse without them. I've just never had experience with this kind of vest, my previous ones essentially wrapped around my stomach area whereas this one does not

• Supporters

Are the foam plates stuff or overly flexible ?, I would think stiff is better ?.

alternatively, if the design is that poor, how about modding it ?, maybe a couple of dropped belt loops to attach to your trouser belt , or even sticking some non slip material on the inside face of it.

• Supporters

If your gonna look for something else, can't reccomend warrior kit enough, real steel battle proven kit that won't let you down, & prices are very good, even if buying new.

Archived