How much is enough?

stig
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

If anyone has a boneyard Mp5 that really needs hacking up and turning into a DMR...?

Because too much is never enough!

Sub-machine gun to DMR is the BEST lol

AnvsAWc.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

I keep buying more, mostly busted, fixing them then moving them on.

Currently, our household has two WE G17’s, one TM G17, one TM Hi-Capa 

aaaaand............ a

TM MP5, ICS M4, ARES Vector, A&K Vector, TM AA-12, G&G SCAR

One less. Bolt though :)

Have as many as you want/ can afford / store. I have about 13 guns total lol. Some have just been impulse buys because I like them, others because I thought they might work well for certain games and a couple are guns I lend to people. I always take 2 to a game day and usually swap around at lunch for variety lol

Took me years to stop buying trainers, 200+ pairs was plenty.... Now Im into Airsoft its hard resisting, but the costs and fact I cant hide them from the mrs means I need to be more sensible!

That being said I have 2 rifles a MP5K 2 x MK23 pistols a MF92 Pistol and a spring shotgun and would love more :) 

There's a simple equation as to the answer to the original question posed and that is 

Current number of weapons + one = how many is enough 

Well that's what I keep getting told about motorbikes so it must be the same for airsoft.

• Supporters

For some people too many is never enough!

I for starters have owned the following at some point:

G&G M14 EBR   ***SOLD***

SRC M1911    ***SOLD***

WE M9    ***SOLD***

G&G MP5A5

KWA Kriss Vector   ***SOLD***

WE SCAR L   ***SOLD***

G&G HK 416 (TR4-18L DST)    ***SOLD***

TM M92FS

TM P90         ***SOLD***

TM P90 (cant say no when it was free) ***SOLD***

TM VSR 10    ***SOLD***

KSC M93R    ***SOLD***

KSC M93R    ***SOLD***

G&P M4 (converted and custom to a Polarstar Salient Arms M4)

APS CAM 870 Salient

TM Glock 22 (converted to Glock 34)

Novritsch SSG24

GHK AK 105

AW EMG Salient DS2011

I think the main reason for buying so many guns was to explore and find what i liked or was attuned to.

I have now settled on the Assault weapon (Polarstar M4), CQB weapon (MP5 and CAM870), Sniper Rifle (SSG24) and fun gun (AK 105). Pistol wise my M92FS has done me very well and i love it to bits, the Glock 34 was because i saw a Glock 34 Salient Arms slide for a bargain, so bought it and got the Glock for it, now its my CQB pistol. The AW DS2011 was meant to replace the M92FS but it performance was pants so it needs so work to it.

TBH I think i have settled now on my core guns so dont plan to sell or buy any more, I am still tempted to get a TM Recoil 416 Devgru but it might not be for a while.

Below is the Airsoft Family portrait.

eUU7bYq.jpg

6 hours ago, Shizbazki said:

eUU7bYq.jpg

Holy sh*t balls, that MP5 is gorgeous  and SAI Shotgun.... wants...

lol core yeah this is a very good question, for years ive said to the wife, ok yup this is my last gun i really dont need no more, now if i say that she just gives me the look and says yeah whatever lol..

but to be honest i am very near to the point i look at my collection and say, do i really want/need any more? i know i want 3 more but then after that im done! haha hmm

I have 2, I'd like to have more but I also hate to buy something I won't use that much, so I tried to make those 2 guns as versatile as possible to cover every style I apply.

The same thought kinda applies to my gear, I have 3 main loadouts which share a lot of things, I only change rig and clothes based on the season, where I'm playing and what I'm going to do.

As said before, I don't like to have unused stuff at home, I feel like I've wasted money (like my jpc replica, I rarely play in cqb fields, so I only wear it once or twice per year)..

• Supporters

Autism

That is basically what it is, a form of compulsion to own all of them - even if you never intend to use them

Honest - this kinda crap is a trait of autism - though to be fair there are many many signs of autism

And no - autism does not mean everything is always arranged perfectly in rows or formation etc.....

You can be completely chaotic in organisation and be way up high on the autistic spectrum

So if you are a sad weird bastid like moi, then you probably have some autistic traits a little above "normal"

WTF is normal ? most people have some tiny autistic traits.....

Think you have to worry when you stop being obsessed by your hobby and become possessed by it instead

I don't care - I am unique I say to people, though Mrs Duck just refers to me as f*cking odd

Ages ago when I first started airsofting I set myself the goal of owning every AK variant (AK, RPK, Dragunov, Galil etc). Nowadays, I'm aware that this would just produce a collection with massive amounts of redundancy since half the guns would fit the same purpose.... and I still want to do it. :P

Besides, the easiest way to indoctrinate new people into airsofting is to bait them in with a free gun to borrow for the skirmish.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Skara said:

I also hate to buy something I won't use that much

I hear that.  It's Happy UKARA Day for me today, and I thought I'd be gagging to splooge a wad on a bunch of stuff.  As it is though, I haven't found any situation that my cheap M4, shotty and AEP can't handle.

Is this... am I happy with what I've got?

Help, I've become a communist!

Sort of want an MP5K, mind.

11 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

Autism

That is basically what it is, a form of compulsion to own all of them - even if you never intend to use them

Honest - this kinda crap is a trait of autism - though to be fair there are many many signs of autism

And no - autism does not mean everything is always arranged perfectly in rows or formation etc.....

You can be completely chaotic in organisation and be way up high on the autistic spectrum

So if you are a sad weird bastid like moi, then you probably have some autistic traits a little above "normal"

WTF is normal ? most people have some tiny autistic traits.....

Think you have to worry when you stop being obsessed by your hobby and become possessed by it instead

I don't care - I am unique I say to people, though Mrs Duck just refers to me as f*cking odd

When do those tiny autistic traits that most people have become just normal human traits? I get what your saying but there is a difference between enjoying the collecting side of the hobby to actual autism, if you feel compelled to have it to the point it effects your behavior etc (think horder mentality here)  then yes that may well be a trait for autism but not if your just enjoying it as part of the hobby. (people collect all kinds of things not just airsoft guns, girlfriends for example are obsessed with getting new handbags , shoes etc when their current one is perfectly fine  Lol )

• Supporters

Quite off: People like to use the word autism for anything weird. While it's true that the autism spectrum includes many behaviours that are not "normal", most of them are from the fact that an autistic brain doesn't do filtering of the input and pours everything with the same priority to the conscious mind. This can result that they instantly see complex patterns and also when they need to shout just to block out all other noises that overwhelm them. Putting stuff in order is to remove the need to process the connections between the randomly placed objects or they enjoy the nice regular pattern of them. It calms them. Extreme focusing on one topic allows them to block out other stuff.

Diagnosing autism is not a simple black or white decision. There are different methods and they have multiple tests each. If the subject "fails" on a certain number of these, he/she is considered to be on the autistic spectrum. Thus two autistic person can be very very different. If you fail only on a couple of test, then you are still considered to be normal.

What were we talking about? :)

• Supporters
46 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Quite off: People like to use the word autism for anything weird.....

Well, I might have some autistic traits like many people

But I know I can't be autistic coz I get sarcasm

Which most autistic people never understand

The OCD part is quite common - their routine etc...

Deviate from this and there can be real hell to pay

Severe cases of autism are heartbreaking needing 24/7 care

Most cases are mild to moderate - often no sarcasm & black/white logic

Einstein was autistic and tbh I'd take a stab at Mr Spock too

Though he might blame than on his half human side

In reality think them Vulcan's caused this autistic stuff

When they become focused on something it is 200%

Though at the same time getting them to focus on new stuff can be an enormous challenge for everybody involved and each person is different in how they may comply or completely kick off. Even a simple slight change in habit or routine can become the biggest mountain for all involved

But autistic people do have mega OCD, and the people supporting them need one thing above all else.....

PATIENCE - omg buckets of this stuff and some understanding

But one you do learn is patience

I'm just weird with some weird traits I guess

I try stick to the limit of 2 outdoor primaries, 2 indoor primaries, 2 secondaries, one or two fun things that aren't the most practical.

There is always that temptation to get more though, especially if it's a good deal. I've basically bought and sold second hand to get to loadouts that I would use, rather than go "Ooo pretty must buy" then leave it gathering dust.

Current list:

Outdoor:

E&L AK74N

Real Sword SVD

Indoor:

E&L AKS74UN

TM KSG

Secondaries:

WE Makarov

Gunslinger AK SMG 

Fun things:

Dan Wesson 6" python revolver

Other:

LCT AIMS

• 3 weeks later...

I found that I initially kept buying due to most airsoft guns being fairly featureless and mediocre (build quality, performance, etc). 

I ended up selling all of them and just buying one really expensive and high quality gun. Now I no longer feel the need for any other one.

6 months in and I own 7 RIFS. 

Tokyo Marui Famas F1 (Being upgraded with rewound motor, stronger spring, Mosfet, R Hop, V2 gears etc)

Tokyo Marui Famas SV Hybrid, Made out of two boneyard Famas. 

Tokyo Marui M1911 Strike Warrior. 

ICS CXP-APE with extended Laylax Tightbore Barrel, Mosfet, Prommy Purple Rubber and black mamba silencer. 

ICS CXP-15 (Being upgraded for 11.1v Lipo use, Mosfet, Prommy Purple Rubber, stronger spring and short stroked piston). 

Cyma F2000, Upgraded with SHS Green Motor, Prommy Purple Rubber and Mosfet. (Back in for upgraded Laylax tightbore barrel, new metal hop up unit). 

Jing Gong SL8, not yet arrived but in the post. This will be converted to DMR. 

This is how I justify it all. 

I have all the bases covered, The Famas were used for CQB, but the one being upgraded will be used for medium range engagements, I am a big fan of the Famas from an ergonomics point of view. The other one is for abusive CQB. 

The ICS CXP Ape is my long range AEG, it has fantastic range for what it is. Heavy though! 

The F2000 is my favourite to use rifle, it turns heads, however the range is not great and has a flimsy proprietary magwell plate which causes the BB's to go into the receiver body when removing magazines. Trying to get this sorted out along with more upgrades, I intend this to be my all-round rifle, but if the loose BB issue is not sorted then I may have to give up on it. 

The TM Strike Warrior is just cool looking and fine as a side arm. If I were to get any other pistol it would be an AEP for the cold months. 

The ICS CXP-15 I got real cheap on black Friday, it's the metal version and its by the far the shortest rifle I have, This is being modified for ultimate ROF for use in CQB. I may use this as a ridiculous sidearm when sniping. 

The Jing Gong is my first foray into something approaching a sniper. This will be turned into a DMR. If I enjoy the playstyle then my next purchase would be an SRS Silverback. 

I am really slowing down on my purchasing now though. I want to make sure what I have now are shooting perfect and the way I want it. I love Bullpups, however they aren't the best or most reliable performers, so bought some more normal looking rifles that are more reliable for now until the Bullpups have been modified. 

Ermm.. since starting this thread, I seem to have bought a further 5 RIFs :-o

Sucker for a bargain me ;)

It helps if you're happy to but 2nd hand gear (mostly almost new) and are prepared to deal with any 'niggles' as a result - which as I said, is half the fun.

I need to make a list as I'm starting to struggle to remember them all!

As for skirmishing, agree that you can only use one or two at a time, but I share them with my son (so use 4-6 at a time) and ring the changes, which is also good for keeping your game/tactics fresh.

Christmas is coming too...... ;)

16 hours ago, BigBlackGlock said:

I found that I initially kept buying due to most airsoft guns being fairly featureless and mediocre (build quality, performance, etc). 

I ended up selling all of them and just buying one really expensive and high quality gun. Now I no longer feel the need for any other one.

I can relate to this and may end up doing the same at some point. Out of interest, what did you end up with?

9 minutes ago, stig said:

I can relate to this and may end up doing the same at some point. Out of interest, what did you end up with?

I ended up buying an Umarex/VFC G28 GBBR (Deluxe Edition)

I would definitely recommend just investing in one gun instead of many!

Archived