choosing a budget aeg advice wanted

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Why are the army r85s so bad to you guys?

As far as i can tell its well constructed all the owners reviews ive seen rate it highly and say its a good alternative to the more pricey models of that specific gun.

Ive asked for opinions on other guns and looked at other guns reccommended here ive watched reviews on them all too.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

In the end get what you want but our advice is useless if you don't listen to it. 

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Think the main problem is you think looks count and they don't.

An airsoft gun spends most of its time not being used, and looks are everything for wall appeal.

Just buy what flings bbs best.

Assuming that's the goal.  OP strikes me as someone who's enjoying the planning more than they may actually enjoy the activity, as many people do.  It's all good.

I actually agree with you, by the way, but wouldn't it be dull if we all had M4s and AKs with exactly the same performance?

Oh, the Gunfire owners reviews of the AA R85A1 are pretty bad though.  And be aware that it comes without a battery or charger so you'd need to add those to your budget.

^This. We Aussies are looking very much at the prospect of airsoft being a limited to a very small selection of guns at the present time, how very dull it wil be. This is just my two cents on the matter, but even if every BB slinger is the same internally, I don't think I would have been happy with anything other than an AUG for my first gun.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I actually agree with you, by the way, but wouldn't it be dull if we all had M4s and AKs with exactly the same performance?

Nope because then airsoft could get back to whats important......the game.

Reenactors dress up, airsofters play airsoft.

It's your money, so do what you like with it. But do me a favour and put a couple of quid aside to give to my favourite charity when you find yourself giving the same advice to another noob this time next year. ;)

If you get into airsoft then this won't be the last gun you buy. And if the bug doesn't bite then with something that actually works well, then you've got a chance of selling it on.

But I've seen the disappointment when someone turns up with something like the 85 you're looking at, and realises that halfway through their first game that the hire guns shoot better, are lighter and easier to handle.

And as my girlfriend is quick to remind me, looks aren't everything...

The problem with a lot of reviews is some people don't like to admit they paid for something rubbish or they don't have anything to actually compare to. 

I picked up a AA R85 years ago and not only did it continuously lock up on semi not long after it died completely. I assume it's stripped gears or something but I've not bothered to open it just sits at the bottom of the pile of guns, why ? Because the thing is very heavy and not exactly comfortable to use and the bull pup design doesn't add any benefits to airsoft anyway. The battery compartment isn't exactly good either as it require's you to dismantle the front end everytime. You could buy one that works fine for along time on the other hand you could get one that breaks 3 games in. That's the problem with the Chinese quality control, 

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Nope because then airsoft could get back to whats important......the game.

Reenactors dress up, airsofters play airsoft.

They're all targets.  Don't you prefer ones with jammed guns? ;)

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

They're all targets.  Don't you prefer ones with jammed guns? ;)

No not really I prefer earning my wins.

There is nothing worse than having a day where it's so easy it becomes boring. When you have to throttle back your game because people are either useless or not trying kind of destroys the reason for playing.

• Supporters

CYMA AK or a JG G36 is basically the next best thing after a G&G. 

The reviews from most users aren't objective. I can find you loads of good reviews of bulldog guns sold by JBBG... because the people doing the reviewing don't know what they've got. 

Everyone's first car is the best car they've ever driven, it's not until you've been in a new Mercedes that you realise the insides of a '70s skoda are pretty awful. 

Just now, jcheeseright said:

The reviews from most users aren't objective. I can find you loads of good reviews of bulldog guns sold by JBBG... because the people doing the reviewing don't know what they've got. 

Everyone's first car is the best car they've ever driven, it's not until you've been in a new Mercedes that you realise the insides of a '70s skoda are pretty awful. 

When I was 12 I had a bulldog and I thought it was the nuts until I actually bought something decent:lol:

Or do a few hours overtime and buy a TM recoil or GHK GBB. Everything else is shite by comparison!

3 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

^^^This...with knobs on.

Just now, commanderpegasus420 said:

Im not keen on any of those what else is there

For your budget I'd imagine you can't get loads, it's either a cm16, a cyma AK or a JG G36.

or save up more and get something better.

Seriously, if you want to play airsoft then it doesn't matter what the gun is, as long as it works. If you want to look the part, then it has nothing to do with what gun you carry or what camouflage pattern you wear, it's about attitude and getting stuck in.

I used to think that I didn't want to be the guy with yet another M4, but you know what? As long as I get hits with it, it keeps working and the mods I've done make it shoot a bit further and more accurately, it's easy to carry and handle, I can borrow a mag if I'm out....it doesn't matter a fig if it's an M4 or a sodding banana.

It's nice to have shiny, and I'm fortunate enough to have a bit of spare cash to indulge myself in the enjoyment of acquiring and building interesting airsoft guns, but does it make or break the experience of nailing a breach and clear, or working with a couple of other players to clear a choke point? Not in the slightest.

On the other hand, having a flash, unusual gun that attracts a bit of attention in the safe zone, but then craps out during a game? That'll  ruin your day every time.

49 minutes ago, Georgeturner2001 said:

Only if your a TM fanboy...:ph34r:

Or just want the best AEG ;)

and don’t start suggesting other brands are better. It’s boring. :P

52 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Im not keen on any of those what else is there

If you don't want a 'common' budget weapon then either buy what you like the look of now or wait and save for a better version of what you like.

No point getting a decent weapon if you don't like the look of it and doesn't make you want to play.

On the other hand if you buy a weapon you want like the AA R85, you may love it and deal with its quirks.  It may fail and need more money & time to fix.  Up to you if you can deal with that.

Probably best option is to keep an eye on sales here.  That way you can get a good weapon for less. Just make sure to do your research and not rush it.

I do keep my eyes on the classifieds here. Ive been researching for couple months now just figuring out the actual game and whats involved what i need and guns etc etc

I do agree having things that you enjoy are important to this sport as half of it seems to be fashion the other half shooting each other lol

None of the guns ppl rate bring me any kind of joy if im honest.

The jg mp5 looks okish but ive seen some with snapped off hopup units and they are plastic body which makes me not want to buy one of those either.

Seems either way all these airsoft guns have problems and likely to break at a moments notice.

Also l85s use stanag mags

Part of the issue here is that you want Ferrari when you've the funds for Ford, and if you buy something you like the look of, you're going to get a clapped out Fiesta covered in so much 'go fast' Tupperware it can't move. Buy the sensible, boring Focus, put the mileage in, enjoy the fact it works and save for something better.

If I'm going to stretch this analogy to breaking point, the joy comes from the journey, not the jallopy.

Something like the Cyma 028 is a solid workhorse of an AEG. A few tweaks and it shoots well, and keeps on doing it. At a skirmish if given the choice between the Cyma and something shinier that might go wrong, or be temperamental, you choose the one that'll keep shooting. And if you wouldn't be seen dead with an AK... go home.

• Supporters

Cyma Mp5 have metal body and very decent internals.

JG Aug if you want something different.

JG G3 if classic look and good accuracy out of box.

Cyma M14 for best DMR, even on 350 fps.

Cyma AK for reliability.

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, commanderpegasus420 said:

Ive been researching for couple months now just figuring out the actual game and whats involved what i need and guns etc etc

I did a fair bit of research too, but it really would shortcut a lot of this if you'd just skip to the end and go and play a game.  Many of my preconceptions didn't survive contact with the enemy, or past lunchtime.

You've got a sniper and an AEP, you're good to go.  I honestly don't see what's stopping you since now you're talking about buying another gun when you haven't played yet with the ones that you've got.

If you're mostly interested in collecting, that's absolutely fine, I'd have mine on the wall except I can't afford a divorce lawyer.  But you're asking which gun is best for playing without having much context for assessing the answers.

For example, the weight of the R85A1 has come up repeatedly, and you've pooh-poohed it, but on what basis?

If you run a hire AEG for a day and find out what you like and don't like about it, then you can make an informed decision relative to that.  Or just turn up with your sniper and see if someone with an AEG wants to swap for a while, folk are always looking to try out different things.

Archived