Noob's rocking up alone....muggy or not...thoughts

Gazmeister
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

Have been looking into airsoft for some time now and really want to have a go as I think I would love it (based in Kent - south east)....... only issue is none of my pals are interested in the slightest every time I try to talk them into coming... (boring T*&&^%$) - anyway, is it frowned upon to turn up alone or will that look a little 'axe murderer' like... are there many people here who have done the same.... or do I simply have to Drag my pals kicking n screaming so's not to look strange (like going bowling by yourself....or even Cinema.... im sure there's more but is airsoft one of them??)...

Cheers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Head Moderator

Welcome :). Many of us turn up at games alone, it is a niche hobby. Likely that there will also be other new players there. Most airsofters are friendly enough and like talking about their guns and gear.  Get chatting to other players in the safe zone, ask them questions and once you have played a few games at a skirmish will have more in common. You may even get to meet up with some other forum members.

As I mention to all new members, have a read of the pinned (sticky) posts in each section as they contain lots of useful information. 

thanks JM, sounds and just the type of environment that suits me down to the ground! just me overthinking things as usual! just need to get involved!.  am 40 now and am looking for a new hobby.... Airsoft has been on my radar for sometime now and the urge to go since seeing all the videos online is considerable! my boy will be old enough to do it too soon, so will be a bonus to go together.

thanks again for taking time to reply.

Gaz

• Supporters

Hey gaz, just do it, most players & sites are very welcoming & you'll soon be chatting to like minded people.

unfortunately most on the "outside" (friends & family included), view anything gun related as suspicious at the very least, so it's rare more than one person in a social circle sharing our interests, your not the first in this predicament, I was there once, I've since been through the whoe team scene but most of them have left the game, on the plus side my son has started playing so I don't turn up alone ever, get your son playing & you'll be the same.......GET SUM lol.

out of interest where are you in Kent, I'm in greatstone/New Romney.

13 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Hey gaz, just do it, most players & sites are very welcoming & you'll soon be chatting to like minded people.

unfortunately most on the "outside" (friends & family included), view anything gun related as suspicious at the very least, so it's rare more than one person in a social circle sharing our interests, your not the first in this predicament, I was there once, I've since been through the whoe team scene but most of them have left the game, on the plus side my son has started playing so I don't turn up alone ever, get your son playing & you'll be the same.......GET SUM lol.

out of interest where are you in Kent, I'm in greatstone/New Romney.

thanks mate, think my mind is made up now!! just needed a little push from the good people like yourself and the others here that understand 'the urge' lol ooeerr - Like you say though, the other family member's (mostly the other half - WHO I LOVE for the record!....just in case she checks my pc haha) have sounded their suspicion and distaste for it....bloody haters!.....my missus knows me well enough now though to know ultimately i'm gonna do what I've gotta do!!

I was always into military stuff big time as a young-un... went army cadets for years and very very nearly joined the reg's but for the old man putting me off... I guess the bug still hasn't completely left me..

I'm  biggin hill way fella. looking for some Kent skirmishes over the next few weeks to cut my teeth. am looking through the site here (great site btw) for places which might suit. let me know if about....

airsoft fwends!! haha

thanks pal, good luck

Gaz

• Supporters

I hate people (ugly bags of mostly water) but within minutes of rocking up alone to my first game was chatting away with folk.  Just ask someone about their gun and if they'd recommend it, and they'll talk your ears off. ;)

It really is a hobby where folk seem keen to pass things on to the fresh meat, you'll have no trouble fitting in.

Oh, I got an earful from the missus about playing with guns, so we agree to refer to it as "going fishing" now.

• Supporters

Welcome! Don't worry about attending alone. You'll be sure to meet a few people who you'll click with. Ask them about their gear -  it's a sure way to make some friends. 

21 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I hate people (ugly bags of mostly water) but within minutes of rocking up alone to my first game was chatting away with folk.  Just ask someone about their gun and if they'd recommend it, and they'll talk your ears off. ;)

It really is a hobby where folk seem keen to pass things on to the fresh meat, you'll have no trouble fitting in.

Oh, I got an earful from the missus about playing with guns, so we agree to refer to it as "going fishing" now.

Love the 'going fishing' wink wink 

she is ok with fishing as it goes so maybe I could go the same route haha stick a few carbines and ammo in the bag instead of rods lol

Im from Kent and turned up to my first airsoft game alone at the age of 30 :D been twice so far and going a third time this weekend to get my ukara. Even if i don't talk to lots of people in the rest area people always talk on the field :P

I go to Ace Combat in Tonbridge which is about 30-35 mins drive on an early sunday from Bluewater area so probably not too far for you if you like woodland style. Im sure Croydon has a few sites as well.

(I also go cinema by myself so i wouldn't call that strange  if i wanna see a film im nott gonna miss it because no one wants to go ;) )

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Osiris said:

(I also go cinema by myself so i wouldn't call that strange  if i wanna see a film im nott gonna miss it because no one wants to go ;) )

Depends on what your going to see ?

If it was Frozen for the 27th time, that would be bad lol ;)

Just do it. I did and I never looked back. Now my 16 year old nephew tags along. But before that i got chatting to people and it was fine. You don't have to be the life of the party,  just be open minded.  As for guns and stuff, my wifes not to bad how ever her first question is "how much did it cost" after the anger subsides the rules she lays down are 1)dont shoot the kids.2) don't let the kids play with my guns and 3) don't scare the neighbours. Lol I'm based in broadstairs myself.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

my wifes not to bad how ever her first question is "how much did it cost"

Mine phrased it as "So, how much do I get to spend on myself?", the mercenary minx.

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

Im from Kent and turned up to my first airsoft game alone at the age of 30 :D been twice so far and going a third time this weekend to get my ukara. Even if i don't talk to lots of people in the rest area people always talk on the field :P

I go to Ace Combat in Tonbridge which is about 30-35 mins drive on an early sunday from Bluewater area so probably not too far for you if you like woodland style. Im sure Croydon has a few sites as well.

Well done Gaz, been on the forum 5min and upset the solo cinema goers! Haha Before someone else pulls me up, apologies to the solo bowlers!

was having a strange conversation at work recently re what was acceptable and what was not re going out on yer jack..... cinema and bowling just happened to be top 2 in the group?  At least going airsoft by yer self isn't frowned upon

Cheers for for info on Ace Combat....doesn't look to far at all. Tactical warfare round Croydon way looks ok too.

20 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Mine phrased it as "So, how much do I get to spend on myself?", the mercenary minx.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Depends on what your going to see ?

If it was Frozen for the 27th time, that would be bad lol ;)

Haha agreed..... deffo not good! Goodfellas or shawshank fair play...

1 hour ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

Just do it. I did and I never looked back. Now my 16 year old nephew tags along. But before that i got chatting to people and it was fine. You don't have to be the life of the party,  just be open minded.  As for guns and stuff, my wifes not to bad how ever her first question is "how much did it cost" after the anger subsides the rules she lays down are 1)dont shoot the kids.2) don't let the kids play with my guns and 3) don't scare the neighbours. Lol I'm based in broadstairs myself.

Makes you laugh, missus walks out in new top or bag or some other over priced garment....I say is that new? (Knowing full well it is)....reply, 'no ive had it ages'?! And they say it all offended like, somehow believing their own sh1t....BEARD! That's new!! (I shout in my head)....point being it's alright for those feckers to waste cash.....effing gets my goat! Still, don't moan too much otherwise you could jeprodise 'special cuddle' action haha

• Supporters

Your not on your own their trigger, I have turned up to shoot you Mofos, I don't want to make friends with people I'm about to shoot, if your on my team, well that's a different story, you get to see my see-it-to-believe-it-tactics.

• Supporters

I hope you enjoy your TWA Taster...

One thing, their hire package only includes 500 bbs, which is will barely fill a hi-cap and is marginal for a whole day unless you stick to semi-auto.  I'd budget for buying more BBs on the day, or BYOBOBB (Bring Your Own Bottle Of BBs).

20 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I hope you enjoy your TWA Taster...

One thing, their hire package only includes 500 bbs, which is will barely fill a hi-cap and is marginal for a whole day unless you stick to semi-auto.  I'd budget for buying more BBs on the day, or BYOBOBB (Bring Your Own Bottle Of BBs).

cheers for the tip fella.... have been reading some of the noob parts of the site and I did get the impression that 500 may be too little. will deff buy some more. where do you tend to buy yours from mate?

• Supporters

Local pew-pew shop, but I've not got through that many, I'm tight "measured".  What to get is likely to be covered in dozens of threads here, I'd just say go at least 0.25g.  I went for Draft Club 0.25g last buy just to see how they worked as I'd not heard of the brand, but I'm also running ASG Blaster 0.2g in my pistol and shotgun which are pretty cheap.  No complaints about either brand.

Archived