Gun picture thread

M_P

Not surprised. Norton has got to be one of the biggest scam companies ever. When they're not writing bogus virus alert 'updates' into their software to keep you in panic mode so you renew your subscription to them, they're busy thinking of new ways of tying up your computer's system RAM with that appallingly badly optimised piece of bloated glorified malware. :lol:

• Supporters

Not really saying it's definitely an AR15 to be honest, that's really just what I tend to call Armalites which have the more later non-tapered grip we typically see on more recent various, since that grip started showing up around the same time that Colt started selling the M16 as a semi-automatic only civilian rifle, which they marketed as the AR15. So it's more a case of 'what i call them' rather than being a correct designation!

You're right too, that is woodland he's got on. As far as where I found it, it was just a search on the internet, although I'm pretty sure that it is reproduced in one of the many books I've got on the Vietnam War, because I've definitely seen that pic before.

I had a quick google and apparently that picture is of a LRRP unit in the central highlands. Pretty interesting actually - most likely (considering the role and the area) to have been a member of the 1st Air Cav that were moved into the LRRP role at the time who coincidentally were one of the first units to get the M16. By "tapered grip" do you mean the foregrip? As I've personally only ever seen 60's/70's era ones with the tapered, triangular style. There is suggestion that civilian spec AR15s were supplied to SF units (presumably to try and keep up with supply requirements) so it's perfectly possible I just couldn't make out enough detail in the picture.

Not surprised. Norton has got to be one of the biggest scam companies ever. When they're not writing bogus virus alert 'updates' into their software to keep you in panic mode so you renew your subscription to them, they're busy thinking of new ways of tying up your computer's system RAM with that appallingly badly optimised piece of bloated glorified malware. :lol:

Agreed with that. It chews up system resources...When your subscription time is up just grab Mircosoft security essentials and save yourself a few quid.

• Supporters

i have honestly never had a problem with norton using anything more then 2% of my systems resources (and my PC is near 8years old), i always found mcafee was the resource hog.

(edit fyi, i use norton internet security)

Actually, I think that M4 looks pretty cool in two tone. :)

Most US troops during the Vietnam War probably would have given anything to have been issued an M16 with that colour scheme, because quite a lot of them got hold of green pvc/duct tape and made their M16s look exactly like yours. Although to be fair, a lot of that tape on their M16s was to stop the thing rattling and falling apart, since the first M16s weren't exactly built like tanks, but, you can find a lot of pics of M16s, AR15s, M4 etc looking a lot like yours, so if anyone doesn't like it or think it looks odd or incorrect, then they don't know as much as they think they know! It will certainly work better in a woodland skirmish in that colour scheme than an all black one would.

Here's a pic of an M16 with green electrical tape on it during the Vietnam War. Keep in mind that colours are very faded on that old 1960s Kodachrome picture, that tape would actually have been a pretty bright green, not dissimilar to the colour on your M4, because the soldier who stuck that tape on his rifle would have wanted the colour to look like foliage with bright sunlight on it. Also notice that in the same picture, lying on a pack, there appears to be another M16 variant (probably an AR15) in the background which has had a similar treatment with green tape:

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/toddmart68/media/walk3.jpg.html

A few things about that picture indicate that those guys know what they are doing incidentally. One of the weapons has a suppressor on it, the other appears to be an AR15, both of which were not typically issued to your average 'grunt' in Vietnam, but more often to units such as LRRP or special forces A teams. Note too that the weapon does not have a sling, which was done to avoid having stuff which could rattle or get hung up on branches. Both soldiers are wearing tiger stripe camouflage, as opposed to the standard M65 olive drab army gear you tend to see being worn in that war, also an indication that they are a more 'pro' unit than your average GI. They are in what appears to be a fire support base up in mountainous terrain, evidently high up enough to be in the cloud base, so they are probably near the Central Highlands. In 1968, if that date on the picture is correct, the location and the equipment seen would mean that they are probably involved in covert operations along the Western border of Vietnam.

haha two toned gun? what was i talking about? Its just my modern tribute to those who had shoddy weapons in vietnam lol

Was a great little snippet of info there Chock

By "tapered grip" do you mean the foregrip?

Yeah, I do mean the foregrip, but it's kind of hard to be sure that is what we can see. However, it looks to me like we are looking at the top edge of an AR-15 leaning on the packs behind the guys, it appears to have the six vent holes on it facing us, visible in between the front and rear of the foregrip, which appear to have had bands of green tape wrapped around.

In other words, I think we can see this part of an AR-15 (and this one in my photo definitely is a Vietnam War era military issued AR15, since it has a 'Property of US Govt M16A1' stamp on its receiver, but above that it also has 'Colt AR-15' in big letters to the right of the prancing horse Colt logo):

ar15_zpsa0f004a2.jpg

All sorted for my first ever woodland skirmish tomorrow at Holmbush DOGTAG Airsoft (planning on going to the Epsom Tunnels sometime next week for my first ever CQC also)! My sight is zeroed, the hop up is adjusted nicely and all of my attachments are fitted and all mags feed well! :) Judging from the Facebook page, it looks as if there'll be at least 70 people there so it should be great! I'm optimistic that it'll be dry throughout the day, fingers crossed! :D :D

dxH2cD6.jpgcAozjNs.jpg

All sorted for my first ever woodland skirmish tomorrow at Holmbush DOGTAG Airsoft (planning on going to the Epsom Tunnels sometime next week for my first ever CQC also)! My sight is zeroed, the hop up is adjusted nicely and all of my attachments are fitted and all mags feed well! :) Judging from the Facebook page, it looks as if there'll be at least 70 people there so it should be great! I'm optimistic that it'll be dry throughout the day, fingers crossed! :D :D

dxH2cD6.jpgcAozjNs.jpg

What tool did you use to fit the rails? Also does your dust cover leaver feel a little loose?

What tool did you use to fit the rails? Also does your dust cover leaver feel a little loose?

Presuming it's using the Magpul rails, they're attached using small plates on inside with regular allen key bolts securing them onto the grip.

For the MOE rails I used a T-10 Torx screwdriver. I see you've also purchased a GC16; the dust cover leaver on my rifle does have a little wobble to it however I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've found that some reviews of the gun have mentioned about how loose the dust cover is, so it isn't just me and you! ;)

For the MOE rails I used a T-10 Torx screwdriver. I see you've also purchased a GC16; the dust cover leaver on my rifle does have a little wobble to it however I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've found that some reviews of the gun have mentioned about how loose the dust cover is, so it isn't just me and you! ;)

I had a quick look at the rails but not much point putting them on until my torch comes. It just looked like a weird shape in the screw. Did you want the snake pattern or do you not have UKARA? It looks smart.I went for tiger but they forgot to paint it :/

I had a quick look at the rails but not much point putting them on until my torch comes. It just looked like a weird shape in the screw. Did you want the snake pattern or do you not have UKARA? It looks smart.I went for tiger but they forgot to paint it :/

I know what you mean, the screw shape is a little weird and it took me about 20 minutes to locate the correct screwdriver for it. :rolleyes: Unfortunately I don't have UKARA so my only option was to get this in the snake tone - personally I prefer it to the Tiger pattern and it actually doesn't look too bad and from a distance it looks like an all black rifle! The photo for some strange reason has made it stand out a bit more. That's a bit strange for them to forget to paint it, lucky you though! :lol:

Yeah, it's a hangar queen in this weather for sure, but in warm weather it does okay if not brilliantly. That said I use my little Glock most of the time (love that thing), but it's kind of fun to have a 1911 in a side holster on your belt, even if it isn't the most practical choice, if only because it looks cool.

But, when at somewhere like Trojan's CQB mill site on the stairwells, having two pistols is handy, because you can either dual wield, or arm someone else with it if they haven't got a pistol, since you can only use pistols on the stairs, and one or two shots usually decide those kind of outcomes.

I now present, my finished ICS L85 A2

External Mods (in no particular order):

• DD Rail
  • Knock-Off AFG (though the cheeky bastards put it an a Magpul box)
  • Element M600 flashlight clone
  • No-Brand battery box (owing to the tiny space available in the DD RIS)
  • G&P 1x30mm reflex sight on
  • No-Brand rail riser on
  • B&T Dovetail > Picattiny adapter
  • PTS Enhanced Polymer Mags
  • Osprey Mk4 sling point (connects to my Plate Carrier, though has slipped and let the rifle go a couple of times)

Internal Mods:

• Custom-made Metal Hop arm
  • Madbull Blue 60 degree rubber
  • element "H" nub
  • crimps connecting the motor replaced by solder (better current flow)

The last time i skirmished it, I didnt have the flashlight (though a quick test at home and is plenty bright enough to light a small room to normal levels). It shoots like a laser indoors, no more than a couple of good shots (ie well aimed) and a standing target 30m away is hit, very consistent.

but above all else, it feels good, and (In my opinion) it looks good.

Maybe in the future i might swap for an Elcan replica, but until then, I declare this gun my own.

my next gun is on the way, and its a much lighter GHK G5, which incidentally is LESS THAN HALF the weight of the ICS (G5 = 2kg, L85 = ~4.5kg) and being GBB, might be a hell of a lot more fun to shoot

post-10222-0-65813800-1421001487_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-85187500-1421001489_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-10004000-1421001492_thumb.jpg