Gun picture thread

M_P

• Supporters

Surely having the second sight bolted on just gets in the way?

I see your sight meme and raise you...OPTIC THUNDER!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An-nMlDeApI

You guys - it's all about the meme's!

Any how despite the p**s taking (I was thinking Inception... a sight within a sight within a sight.... Yes three layers!) the two sights suit my style of game play, this set up is when i'm skirmishing in dense woodland as I like to camp (Yes i'm a camper), the bug buster helps me with some spotting at distance through the dense woodland & for those that creep up the green dot does what it needs! For more open skirmishing (UCAP Sandpit etc.) it's just the green dot!

Feeling that I'm needing to justify my necessity for my sight obsession!

Personally if I were to mount a sight on a sight, I'd put it on top of it so it was at least in line with what I'm shooting at.

That way you're just compensating up/down not left/right too?

MikeMarden -

I just find it abit strange the fact that you have two sights mounted the way you do. Not the fact that you have two sights, thats pretty normal. Would it not make more sense to have the sight on a flip to the side mount? Rather than mounted on the Eotech itself?

Good point and there's a reason for it, I wear a face mask & looking down the length of sight whilst having my cheek pressed against the gun etc. is quite challenging & isn't instant, so sticking the bug buster on the side means I don't press my cheek against anything & not obscuring my sight!

Fair enough. That's a common problem with wearing a face mask. You ever thinking of getting shooting glasses/goggles?

(Sorry for any bad spelling. Sending this from phone.)

I wear a set of mesh goggles with a lower face mask combined so my face is full covered, I must admit when I first started it Airsoft I only wore the glasses, however after being twatted in the face a couple of times at close range I kept finding myself turning my back to anyone coming face on at close range which obviously wasn't good, so I opted for the mask, whilst it does have it's down sides I personally feel a lot more confident wearing it & am certainly a hell of a lot braver when face on at close proximity.

My first ever airsoft gun; and a GBB one at that :D

Ahhhh a man after my own heart! I've only ever used GBBs, it is a labour of love in Winter, but when its all coming together, its worth it! got my son a TM H&K MP7 GBB, he loves it and its an awesome CQB weapon!

Really trying to make the most of my 5-7 before it sadly goes after so many fun times together...

Where did you get extended 5-7 mags?!?!

Are GBB guns expensive to run?

They are a little bit more expensive than AEGs because the cost of gassing up a lot of mags, which typically only hold thirty-odd rounds each (for an assault weapon that is), when compared to the cost of a charging your AEG's battery, which might enable you to cheerfully fire off high cap mags all day long, is not equal. Then of course there is certainly a little more time to be spent lubricating and cleaning the working parts of a GBB if one hopes to keep it working smoothly, as opposed to an AEG, which could literally go for weeks without so much as a wipe with a damp cloth. But that is not necessarily a bad thing, or even a chore, if you happen to like guns and looking after them as much as you like using them.

The main cost is probably acquiring a GBB, and sufficient magazines for it. The magazines for a GBB are typically 25-50 quid each, and you need five or six of them to emulate a typical soldier's patrol loadout, so for a typical assault rifle, you might be spending another 200-300 quid just for magazines if it is a GBB. Conversely, AEG mags are more typically about 10 quid and you can get away with just one high cap one actually, and as you know, most AEGs come with one of those anyway. Even if you go with carrying six low cap AEG mags for a bit more reloading realism, you can invariably find boxes of five or six AEG mags can be had for about thirty quid or so.

Offsetting all of that additional GBB cost is the enhanced realism of a GBB of course. Unlike with an AEG, the firepower of a GBB is held in the magazines, as it is in a real firearm, so changing mags is a more realistic experience; the weapon is inert without a mag, unlike an AEG, so the emulation of a real firearm is vastly closer when using a GBB, even to the extent of field stripping the bolt and gas return mechanisms, which are often an almost identical procedure to the real weapon when field stripping a GBB version of it. The clatter of the action is more visceral than the whirring of an AEG and more akin to the sound you hear when firing the real weapon, the gas tends to give off a bit of visible vapour too, which looks more like a real firearm as well. Given that all these things add to the experience we are trying to emulate with airsoft, both when using and maintaining the weapon, you could argue that all of that offsets the additional cost, by adding to the value of the experience of owning and using a GBB.

Trouble is of course, that they are notoriously crappy in these present low ambient temperatures lol. But come summer, they are certainly the thing to have if you want something which will add to the fun of things, and i would say that their ability to add fun to the proceedings makes the cost worth the price of entry. Thus at the moment, my GBBs - MP5K, AKS74U, Colt 1911, Walther PPK - are all hibernating, but come summer, they'll certainly be getting an outing, and I'll be too busy having fun with them to worry about each shot maybe costing one pence more.

Actually, I think that M4 looks pretty cool in two tone. :)

Most US troops during the Vietnam War probably would have given anything to have been issued an M16 with that colour scheme, because quite a lot of them got hold of green pvc/duct tape and made their M16s look exactly like yours. Although to be fair, a lot of that tape on their M16s was to stop the thing rattling and falling apart, since the first M16s weren't exactly built like tanks, but, you can find a lot of pics of M16s, AR15s, M4 etc looking a lot like yours, so if anyone doesn't like it or think it looks odd or incorrect, then they don't know as much as they think they know! It will certainly work better in a woodland skirmish in that colour scheme than an all black one would.

Here's a pic of an M16 with green electrical tape on it during the Vietnam War. Keep in mind that colours are very faded on that old 1960s Kodachrome picture, that tape would actually have been a pretty bright green, not dissimilar to the colour on your M4, because the soldier who stuck that tape on his rifle would have wanted the colour to look like foliage with bright sunlight on it. Also notice that in the same picture, lying on a pack, there appears to be another M16 variant (probably an AR15) in the background which has had a similar treatment with green tape:

http://s161.photobucket.com/user/toddmart68/media/walk3.jpg.html

A few things about that picture indicate that those guys know what they are doing incidentally. One of the weapons has a suppressor on it, the other appears to be an AR15, both of which were not typically issued to your average 'grunt' in Vietnam, but more often to units such as LRRP or special forces A teams. Note too that the weapon does not have a sling, which was done to avoid having stuff which could rattle or get hung up on branches. Both soldiers are wearing tiger stripe camouflage, as opposed to the standard M65 olive drab army gear you tend to see being worn in that war, also an indication that they are a more 'pro' unit than your average GI. They are in what appears to be a fire support base up in mountainous terrain, evidently high up enough to be in the cloud base, so they are probably near the Central Highlands. In 1968, if that date on the picture is correct, the location and the equipment seen would mean that they are probably involved in covert operations along the Western border of Vietnam.

• Supporters

Interesting picture, where did you find it?

Incidentally the guy on the left is wearing US Woodland not Tiger Stripe. Could you explain how you identified the rifle in the background as an AR-15 and not an M16?

Not really saying it's definitely an AR15 to be honest, that's really just what I tend to call Armalites which have the more later non-tapered grip we typically see on more recent various, since that grip started showing up around the same time that Colt started selling the M16 as a semi-automatic only civilian rifle, which they marketed as the AR15. So it's more a case of 'what i call them' rather than being a correct designation!

You're right too, that is woodland he's got on. As far as where I found it, it was just a search on the internet, although I'm pretty sure that it is reproduced in one of the many books I've got on the Vietnam War, because I've definitely seen that pic before.