Gun picture thread

M_P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGK8IC-bGnU

(still no idea how to get the video to appear in the post)

Just because I love making SA80 purists cry - based on one of 25 experimental rifles from 2005-6, when the MoD was updating the L85. This is my CQB rifle. Very comfortable and fun to use.

P1012128_zps8c176c99.jpg

• Supporters

Do you even AK again?

otxm.jpg

• Supporters

Like the AK's, which one you taking to Shining Light?

Dunno yet - probably Phatima the 74U b/c she feels best in hand and has a couple of mods in the pipeline which will make her even cooler (but her stock is on the way out), but Tatiana the 47S shoulders best and by then I'll have put an Element M105 spring & AB MOSFET in her so range and trigger response should be good, and although Morena the 74 is new, I'm definitely in love (a new stain & bakelite pistol grip, better rear sight repair/ RS replacement &/or Elcan Spectre red dot on a side mount and she should be 'show off standard')...

However I've also got a project "Terrorist AK" in progress, built around a real 'steel' wooden stock, a G&P aluminium/steel alloy receiver, and a tactical front end with a knurled ali tube vertical foregrip, which will run ICS MC-108 fast quiet helical gears (unless I put them in Phatima beforehand) an ICS drilled ali piston, Matrix Double O-Ring Piston Head, and various other badass GB parts TBA - so whatever I end up naming her, she may well be flavour of the month by the time Shining Light is on...

IMG_20140103_165443_zpsmgdz8pnc.JPG

Just got the TM MP7 GBB, waiting for some spare mags to turn up at the end of the month.

The REC7 is soon to be DMR'd when the mosfet I want is back in stock.

The Mini Patriot is still my fav AEG, it is not working right at the moment tho, supposed to be pumping out a consistant 350fps but currently only managing 270ish, think I'm gonna have to strip the gearbox again and have a mess with the piston as it was an amazing gun before I changed the spring to an M100

Love my TM G18C, fantastic pistol even in the colder weather it works well.

My PX4 Compact isn't getting much use at the moment which is a shame, feels so nice to shoot but suffers in the cold.

How is the TM MP7? I've never seen one in person, no one seems to have them round at either of the sites I attend.

Back in London, and my SUSAT has arrived. Now mounted on the pride of the fleet -

P1012118_zps1f2177a5.jpg

P1012119_zps528d2a1f.jpg

So Hugh let me borrow this for a game a few days ago, pro tip everyone: single most unwieldy thing known to man...

Oh shush, it was awesome and you know it. :P

Bonus points for making that guy (claiming to be ex-army) cry.

Good to know about the TM MP7. Ever compared it to any of the other GBB MP7s on the market?

How is the TM MP7? I've never seen one in person, no one seems to have them round at either of the sites I attend.

Back in London, and my SUSAT has arrived. Now mounted on the pride of the fleet

Have not skirmished it yet, wont have the chance till next month I don't think as need more mags to do it properly. It feels a proper quality gun tho, impressed with how it seems :-)

Your L86 looks very similar (except for the longer barrel) as my carbine, had to butcher the DD rail to make it fit and means battery choice is very limited

20130805_232430_zps94b78b5f.jpg

• Supporters

Not got any photos yet, but I do have a firing test video.

So your bolt release actually works? Interesting... On mine it seems to be completely cosmetic, like the hold-open catch.

No matter what you do Ed, the grip will remain pretty wobbly. MilSpec do their best to fix it, but the grip really id just a pretty piss-poor design by W.E. If you think it's bad now, wait until you put something heavy (like say, an optic) on it. 6 months in, and every time I use it I'm paranoid the grip will finally fall off.

• Supporters

That's not very reassuring. Iain said he'd send me the standard grip screw because he said in my case perhaps changing it made it worse.

So I'll be swapping them out for a comparison once it gets here. But in the mean time I think packing it out with tape ought to hopefully stop the wobble, which in turn will hopefully stop the wear.

I've had a PM via YouTube telling me a right horror story though, apparently the O-ring in the bolt kept getting stuck, the mags were shit and the fire selector would constantly shake itself loose.

I also learned that Iain from Milspec fires barely 100 shots a day through his GBBRs when he takes them out. Which to me seems to suggest "because otherwise they'd be fucked so fast they wouldn't be worth owning". So it's starting to feel a lot like I spent a bomb load of money on a pretty ornament...

I'm in two minds to return it and get a Polarstar Fusion Engine instead... But I do want to at least skirmish it once before writing it off completely.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep on top of it for at least long enough to see it work at its peak condition through the summer...

• Supporters

Is it possible to swap out for an ICS aeg grip do you think? I think that's what WE based the receiver dimensions on- might be worth a try anyway.

Assuming it's anything like the AR-15s I wouldn't worry about "because otherwise they'd be fucked so fast they wouldn't be worth owning" the internals last quite well although my mate's 416 has had quite a few issues with the ra-tech parts. The steel bolt doesn't function at all and the trigger group springs up problems every other week- If yours end ups having issues, have a look at getting a CWI trigger set, they're meant to be much smoother. However that is based on the AR-15s so may be completely transferable to the l85.

Shame about the grip though, people complained about it when the gun was first released, you'd have thought they'd have done something to sort it out by now.

How does it shoot so far though- hopefully something of a brighter note?

• Supporters

I'm not impressed, Ed. Especially when I think of your ICS L85. Having said that, maybe you need to spend that much on this too :(

Then I think of firing my new CYMA AK-74 out at the tree I use as a dark background for testing sniper rifle shots and being unable to stop myself from giggling - came with a chrono test sheet too so I'm not worried it's just over powered :)

Nickona, that Galil looks amazing.

To be frank Ed, I wouldn't use 6 full mags in day again. Even RA-tech parts are not indestructible ("we use steel" - yes, but there are countless types of steel, all with varying quality...). I'm not saying don't do it, but... you'll certainly see enhanced wear and tear if you do.

That said, assuming you get the kind of accuracy and range I do, you'll be lucky if you ever need more than 2, possibly 3 mags in a day, as once I know what range it's shooting (on that day) I can generally just point and click.

Do give it a chance though. Mine drove me nuts when I got it, but I'm glad I kept with it. The moment there's a place to post it on the forums, I'll be adding my review, from the perspective of 6 months use.

• Supporters

Is it possible to swap out for an ICS aeg grip do you think?

How does it shoot so far though- hopefully something of a brighter note?

I don't think an ICS grip would go on, but I do still have my AEG handy to try. I've actually managed to fix the wobble though, I unscrewed the grip and removed it, then just put it back on... Same screw and everything. Sits fine now, can't understand what was wrong before.

I have to say I'm not particularly impressed with Milspec's "improvement" though. He just used a slightly larger self tapping screw that was a bit longer than the base one. Not very tidy or professional looking. It also confirms my worry that the grip is clearly held on by a screw that is screwed into a dense polymer, not a metal. So it almost certainly will cave in and break off at some point. On the plus side, all it'll take to fix will be a new pistol grip, which can't be that expensive, eh?

It shoots a lot better than I thought it would, if I'm honest. Seems to be rather consistent in the sense that it's managed to cycle full mags for all 10 or so that I've tried, but it doesn't like it if you get spammy or use full auto. The accuracy is also a little sketchy once you pass the 30m mark and there's also a rather prominent "issue" whereby the barrel and the receiver don't line up. The barrel sits slightly off to the right, whereas the sights obviously align with the receiver.

With iron sights you don't notice it so much because you can set them in line with the barrel by the nature of there being two points to the sight instead of one, but with an ACOG or a red dot, you have to set it to a certain distance, then every range beyond that it'll be shooting left, and every range before it'll be shooting right.

It's a bit of a pisser and I don't think there's anything that can be done about it. It'll make one shot hits at any range other than what it's zero'd for a lot harder than they ought to be, but then, I have so little ammo to spend in game that I'll probably end up altering my play style to ensure I'm close enough to ensure a hit anyway, so I don't think it ought to matter in the grand scheme of things.

My guess is that since it was shipped in a cardboard box which it was cable tied into, with no padding to stop it from moving around, it might've had something heavy put on it, which sort of bent the whole gun. Except instead of it literally bending, it just put the barrel and receiver out of alignment.

With the ranges it's accurate to, I don't think it matters particularly, even if it were straight the fact that it's gas would make it inaccurate at range anyway and it's hard to tell without very thorough examination that there's anything out of kilter.

The range is ridiculous though, and even though it's apparently set for 340fps I'm having trouble tracking even .28s, which you'd have thought would be going pretty damn slow if it's doing 340 on .20s. Obviously I've not chrono'd it myself yet, so I guess there's a chance the NPAS might've somehow adjusted itself, but I'll be rather annoyed if it has, 'cos if it's not going to stay set, what's the point? I've barely had 300 rounds through it so far.

Despite being told by a fair few people that the CO2 mags aren't worth it and don't perform as you'd expect, I feel very tempted to buy one and see for myself for the hell of it.

I'm not impressed, Ed. Especially when I think of your ICS L85. Having said that, maybe you need to spend that much on this too :(

There's not a lot else I can do to this though, I think swapping the nozzle to an aluminium one is just about the only improvement left that I can do, and I don't think that'll change anything other than upping the longevity of the nozzle, so until the plastic one breaks I'm just going to leave it as it is.

I do think that it's massively over priced though, £500 for the RA Tech one that I have, the standard is about £320ish, same as the ICS.

But the AEGs all feel a lot more solid.

The WE to me has a very "hollow" feel to it, and that's in both senses; as it is almost literally completely hollow, but there also feels to be less gun for your money. The fact that the way gas rifles work seems to be so ludicrously simple just seems to make the price absurd. For the money I paid I'd expect everything to work as it should, the fact that there are non functional control surfaces is ridiculous, especially when they work on the AEGs.

Firing it is satisfying though, but I don't think it makes up for the other drawbacks.

I'll have to see how I get on with it.

One other thing Ed, watch the body pins like a hawk.

They have a habit of sliding out if you fire too quickly/too often. I've managed to keep mine, but I know a few other owners who have managed to lose one or both of the pins.