What weight BB should I buy?

commanderpegasus420
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
56 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Nov BBs are not worth the money. £26 for 555. They'd have to be self correcting BBs to be worth it. Stick to Geoffs high precision or longbows.

£26?! Overcharging much? 

• Root Admin
15 hours ago, EDcase said:

I use standard Blaster 0.2g for electric pistol (G18c).

Its only for close encounters and has full auto so good to keep costs down.

Currently using 0.28g 6ammo for AEG which seems good.  Anyone have any experience with them?

Same packaging as BB King and very likely the same factory. They vacuum pack theirs as they're some of the last left that're hygroscopic (i.e. swell up as they adsorb water in the air). I would certainly avoid and stick to brands from factories that don't do that. Geoffs Super Precision are pretty excellent. Longbows and Geoffs Precision are basically the same so buy whichever is cheaper I suppose.

The ones I got came in a heavy duty bag (1kg) but not vac sealed.

Not BioDegradable and don't seem hygroscopic.  Will test that later.

Will try Longbows when I get through these.

• Root Admin

Yep, this is typically just the case with BBs over .30.

Again a reminder: Longbows are the same as standard Geoffs, but the Super Precision Geoffs are more expensive because they're a different BB. If you're sniping then you may wish to try both and decide whether the Geoffs are worth the bit extra, but Geoffs being the same as Longbows isn't 100% true.

• Supporters
On 22/10/2017 at 4:00 PM, AshOnSnow said:

Personally, I'd advise that taking a really heavy BB on a sniper doesn't always help. Yes, it's more accurate, but also, I've had times where I've been trying to snipe someone and they've seen the BB coming, just ducked their head out the way, then popped back again, and that's even more frustrating than anything else. Go as heavy as you can lift, but don't go under 350fps for long shots also. If you have a brilliant hop system and a fantastically set up gun, might find that you could send a .43bb travelling for ages and super accurate, but at a snails pace and people will see it coming a mile off, sit down, make a cup of tea, dip a biscuit or two, wait for the BB to crawl over their heads, then get back up and start shooting back at you.

For this reason, even on a UK fully upgraded sniper, I wouldn't suggest going up to .43s, and only running .40s on a top end fps rifle. Here's a handy little table:

.20g FPS   Max BB Weight at 350fps

390-415    .25g

415-430    .28g

430-470    .30g

470-495    .36g

495-500    .40g

If you want to avoid this, you could try using black BBs - on the plus side, they can't see your BBs and essentially allow you to use heavier BBs with better accuracy. On the downside, you can't see your BBs either, so you won't really know for sure that they're not taking hits, or you're fractionally missing them.

This is absolutely a wives tale, heavier BBs end up going faster beyond about 30ft.  A combination of going slower initially which means less drag and heavier weight meaning more momentum means that regardless of how fast the .20 leaves the barrel, once you're beyond 30-35' (which is NOT far) the .30g that left doing 66% of the speed will still arrive at the target first. 

2 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

This is absolutely a wives tale, heavier BBs end up going faster beyond about 30ft.  A combination of going slower initially which means less drag and heavier weight meaning more momentum means that regardless of how fast the .20 leaves the barrel, once you're beyond 30-35' (which is NOT far) the .30g that left doing 66% of the speed will still arrive at the target first. 

hmm. you might have a point.

Still doesn't help with people who just keep ducking out of the way of shots though!

1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

hmm. you might have a point.

Still doesn't help with people who just keep ducking out of the way of shots though!

Black bb's.....mixed with white so you can make sure your aim is true...

Don't over think it. If you can't afford to test different BBs then just get ASG Devil 0.36g (3000-£23), get out and enjoy yourself. ;)

Archived