Prescription glasses and airsoft

Fat-jd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Once I'm in the safe zone my eyes are NEVER uncovered, far too many morons play Airsoft and think they're too smart for the rules to apply to them.

I wouldn't trust most airsofters to tie their shoelaces correctly, let alone trust that their drills are sufficiently robust that I can have my eyes uncovered around them and Airsoft guns. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 thing I highlighted at my local site is a loaded m203 shell is basically a gun with a very dodgy trigger as I found at my own expense lately. After cleaning my shells wanted to test 1 so loaded and gased it then dropped it in the work shop setting it off at point blank in my face thank God for my glasses but it did hurt like a bitch. But back on topic trying to remove the visor an mesh from 1 of my chainsaw lids an mount to a milatary type of thing and see how that gos 

15 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

I don't put barrel caps on any of my guns. But then again, I treat them with the same safety approach as I was taught with real firearms.

All real guns I use have chamber safety flags or in the case of some of the shotguns I use Safety plugs, same theory behind it either way, just that extra level of safety and how I was taught. You cant put a chamber flag on an airsoft gun so having something over the end of the barrel until ready to use pretty much eliminates the risk of if anything that has been chambered being fired out.

3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

All real guns I use have chamber safety flags or in the case of some of the shotguns I use Safety plugs, same theory behind it either way, just that extra level of safety and how I was taught. You cant put a chamber flag on an airsoft gun so having something over the end of the barrel until ready to use pretty much eliminates the risk of if anything that has been chambered being fired out.

Interesting. Honestly never seen either!

Is it more of a shotgun thing?

6 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Interesting. Honestly never seen either!

Is it more of a shotgun thing?

I’ve made another thread for the general safety subject :

There are some examples of barrel blockers / condoms etc on the first post.

Below are examples of real steal chamber safety flags 

7D9FC7B5-A076-4F7D-9C7C-A1BDC3902F4C.png

After a lot of googling I don't think I can conceive of anything better than fan goggles with prescription lenses.

The problem seems to be 3 main factors:

. Temperature difference between outside and inside of goggles.

. Glasses misting up inside even if the goggles themselves are fine.

. Lack of airflow.

Even if I was to invest in a mask like a Dye i4 with their double glazed thermos flask type lens (and I was tempted) there'd still be the glasses themselves misting up, the Eye Safety Systems 740-0207 Land Ops are US forces issue for glasses wearers and surely if they're good enough for soldiers they'll do for airsoft? But I can't see how the glasses won't fog up inside.

Anyone have any tips as to which fan goggles take prescription lenses and which is best?

I tried out the M88 helmet with visor doing some chainsawing the other week - fcukin' useless bucket, fogged up. I shan't be wearing that again.

For the moment I shall have to stick with my Bolle Blasts with vent holes cut in the top and bottom until I've got my UKARA back, then I'll spend some money.

• Moderators

Revision and ESS have the RX insert fitting....i dont wear glasses when im playing but tempted to as helps when im tired after a week at work staring at a computer...and kids keeping me up.....!!!

Not sure about Smiths Optics but i think they are hard to come by these days?

as for best not sure....ive a pair of Rev ones with thermal lens and all the foam....will drizzle a little, use fogtech wipes, other Rev pair i got off here has bottom foam removed, i use the normal lens and same issues ,using abbey anti fog spray at moment on them.....

• Root Admin

Getting your stuff sent off to be glazed isn't too tricky to do yourself. PM me if you want help but it's been posted on here loads so a search should turn up the step-by-step that I did about a year ago.

Basically almost every decent pair of goggles/glasses will have an insert that you can buy and there are a plethora of companies willing to glaze those inserts really affordably with your current prescription. One can pick the width and coatings (anti-scratch, UV protection etc.) as well if that's something you want to do. At the very least I'd get the anti-scratch coating given that dirt etc. can occasionally work its way onto the lenses given where they're being used (so would check that the product you have there includes that).

• 1 month later...
On 23/11/2017 at 11:36 PM, proffrink said:

Getting your stuff sent off to be glazed isn't too tricky to do yourself. PM me if you want help but it's been posted on here loads so a search should turn up the step-by-step that I did about a year ago.

Basically almost every decent pair of goggles/glasses will have an insert that you can buy and there are a plethora of companies willing to glaze those inserts really affordably with your current prescription. One can pick the width and coatings (anti-scratch, UV protection etc.) as well if that's something you want to do. At the very least I'd get the anti-scratch coating given that dirt etc. can occasionally work its way onto the lenses given where they're being used (so would check that the product you have there includes that).

Would you recommend getting prescription eye protection rather than the likes of a Dye i4 worn over the glasses?

...I’m currently at this crossroads and not fully committed to either as of yet due to so much arguments for the pros and cons of each.

2 minutes ago, Sako said:

Would you recommend getting prescription eye protection rather than the likes of a Dye i4 worn over the glasses?

...I’m currently at this crossroads and not fully committed to either as of yet due to so much arguments for the pros and cons of each.

For me, having tried glasses under a full face or glasses under large goggles, the most affordable option is daily throaway contact lenses and any pair of decent goggles. I looked into prescription Eye Pro and it's WAY too expensive and I don't feel the glaze prescriptions work well enough as the plastic tends to warp and in turn warps your vision which is a) not good for you and B)  dangerous.

5 minutes ago, Duff said:

For me, having tried glasses under a full face or glasses under large goggles, the most affordable option is daily throaway contact lenses and any pair of decent goggles. I looked into prescription Eye Pro and it's WAY too expensive and I don't feel the glaze prescriptions work well enough as the plastic tends to warp and in turn warps your vision which is a) not good for you and B)  dangerous.

I have to throw a slight spanner in the works here...

i cant wear contacts, tried over the years and just can’t do it.

so I guess I’m looking at what will be the lesser of two evils really. (A few friends recommended the Dye i4 as being less likely to fog than the prescription eye protection, but I prefer a wider range of reviews really. 

• Root Admin
2 hours ago, Sako said:

Well to put it this way: My prescription goggles are probably the single best thing I've ever bought for airsoft - I use them more than anything else that I own and being able to confidently spot the enemy team as effectively as anybody else is a really big deal even if I had no problems up to ~30m (after which my vision begins to blur slightly). I've even bought a second pair since - worth every penny. It of course depends on your prescription but I got mine glazed for about £50 on a £25 pair of goggles (ESS V12s) initially some years back and for £50 on a £140 pair of fan goggles (Revision Desert Locust with the thermal lens) a year or so ago as an upgrade to mitigate fogging.

I've never worn glasses under goggles as my prescription is very slight (so slight that I'm only really concerned about my eyes for driving and airsoft), so I can't comment on whether it's a significant improvement over glasses or not, but I will say that it's relatively easy to get it done (beyond the money of course). It depends on the goggle but I found the inserts that I had to cover all of my field of vision so that wasn't an issue. I do make sure to apply anti-fog twice through a day.

It might be best to borrow a pair of goggles and wear glasses under them to try it out. This might of course save a significant amount of money and if your eyesight is bad enough that you'll need to put glasses on immediately over say lunch, it could be a minor bonus to not have to fiddle about with finding them I suppose.

2 hours ago, proffrink said:

Well to put it this way: My prescription goggles are probably the single best thing I've ever bought for airsoft - I use them more than anything else that I own and being able to confidently spot the enemy team as effectively as anybody else is a really big deal even if I had no problems up to ~30m (after which my vision begins to blur slightly). I've even bought a second pair since - worth every penny. It of course depends on your prescription but I got mine glazed for about £50 on a £25 pair of goggles (ESS V12s) initially some years back and for £50 on a £140 pair of fan goggles (Revision Desert Locust with the thermal lens) a year or so ago as an upgrade to mitigate fogging.

I've never worn glasses under goggles as my prescription is very slight (so slight that I'm only really concerned about my eyes for driving and airsoft), so I can't comment on whether it's a significant improvement over glasses or not, but I will say that it's relatively easy to get it done (beyond the money of course). It depends on the goggle but I found the inserts that I had to cover all of my field of vision so that wasn't an issue. I do make sure to apply anti-fog twice through a day.

It might be best to borrow a pair of goggles and wear glasses under them to try it out. This might of course save a significant amount of money and if your eyesight is bad enough that you'll need to put glasses on immediately over say lunch, it could be a minor bonus to not have to fiddle about with finding them I suppose.

My eyesight actually isn’t terrible, but I do wear glasses to drive and watch tv, my game is certainly better wearing glasses.

who did you use for your reglaze may I ask, as I have a pair of Bolle Raider glasses that just want the insert done, and you’ve convinced me to go ahead and do it. Am I right in assuming that the reglaze lenses will be polycarbonate? 

Thankyou for the thorough reply, it’s very much appreciated and the advice will certainly be followed up on.

• Root Admin

Glasses Direct are who I used. There are cheaper though I believe, but they were very quick and easy and I wanted someone reputable for my first go and used them for the ease on the second pair. You can check they have the correct paperwork as they all require licensing so really you'll be fine anywhere that's been signed off.

8 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Glasses Direct are who I used. There are cheaper though I believe, but they were very quick and easy and I wanted someone reputable for my first go and used them for the ease on the second pair. You can check they have the correct paperwork as they all require licensing so really you'll be fine anywhere that's been signed off.

Funny you mention them as that’s the website I’ve been looking at this evening, I’ll give them a try and see what comes back, I’m going to go with the ‘gold’ option so as to get thin lens, scratch resistant and UV400 protection.

ill post up a review of sorts later

• Root Admin

That's who I used and the exact same package that I went for too. Don't think it'll disappoint - their turnaround was very fast.

I've posted up a fairly comprehensive review/guide on this in some other thread a couple of years back, but I can't find it. Probably should've put it in a standalone thread but hey :(

Even using the "expensive" glasses shop - Vision Express, here's what I paid

Frames - £75 (I bought these elsewhere)

Lenses - £60 (including anti-glare, scratch resistance, insurance)

I've been eyeing up some Oakley's but that will have to wait for when I have some spare cash to treat myself with.

4 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Even using the "expensive" glasses shop - Vision Express, here's what I paid

Frames - £75 (I bought these elsewhere)

Lenses - £60 (including anti-glare, scratch resistance, insurance)

I've been eyeing up some Oakley's but that will have to wait for when I have some spare cash to treat myself with.

When I approached Duncan and Todd opticians (local to me), they quoted me £185 to reglaze the insert!

specsavers just told me that they ‘don’t do that type of thing’

if I didn’t laugh I’d probably have cried! 

Just now, Sako said:

When I approached Duncan and Todd opticians (local to me), they quoted me £185 to reglaze the insert!

specsavers just told me that they ‘don’t do that type of thing’

if I didn’t laugh I’d probably have cried! 

What the hell! I've never been charged more than £60 for new lenses! the most expensive thing always ends up being the frames (apart from the Oakley's I'm looking at - they are looking at £300-350 range for the complete set up but I'd use them for my real steel shooting as well so its justified.

13 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

What the hell! I've never been charged more than £60 for new lenses! the most expensive thing always ends up being the frames (apart from the Oakley's I'm looking at - they are looking at £300-350 range for the complete set up but I'd use them for my real steel shooting as well so its justified.

I was as surprised as you were too, I was in the belief that the reglaze for lenses from the likes of specsavers would have been a standard service, and I certainly didn’t expect Duncan and Todd to be almost £200 (just for a reglaze!)

im going to order through the glassesdirect website as recommended as it looks extremely easy to do and really good value for money.

• Root Admin

Boots have also quoted me about 40% higher than I usually pay for a reglaze when I went in for an eye test. In fact I got my prescription updated last year and reglazed my old frames for the same £50 that I spent on the goggle inserts.

I'm fairly certain the high streets are making 80% of their margin on the frames (which presumably are cheap as chips to make) and see reglazing as not worth their time to stay competitive on given all the online glazers. I also found their turnaround to be relatively slow compared to the 5 days I experiences with Glasses Direct.

13 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Boots have also quoted me about 40% higher than I usually pay for a reglaze when I went in for an eye test. In fact I got my prescription updated last year and reglazed my old frames for the same £50 that I spent on the goggle inserts.

I'm fairly certain the high streets are making 80% of their margin on the frames (which presumably are cheap as chips to make) and see reglazing as not worth their time to stay competitive on given all the online glazers. I also found their turnaround to be relatively slow compared to the 5 days I experiences with Glasses Direct.

Agreed which is exactly why I find my in other shops (to try them on) so I know what I want then buy online. My vision express is usually very good and has my lenses done within two or three days and the same goes for when I have my inserts done.

2 hours ago, proffrink said:

Just got off the phone to glassesdirect, they are pretty certain they can reglaze the insert for the Bolle Raider, I just have to send them in and they will let me know.

Archived