Prescription glasses and airsoft

Fat-jd
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Just out of interest, why do you need them reglazed?

Reglaze is purely the term they use for fitting the lenses to an existing frame, although these frames are actually empty so technically they are being glazed...if you see what I’m saying.

2 hours ago, Sako said:

Reglaze is purely the term they use for fitting the lenses to an existing frame, although these frames are actually empty so technically they are being glazed...if you see what I’m saying.

Ah yeah I get you, some opticians I've been class reglazing as even putting a new film over the existing lenses hence the confusion

On 11/6/2017 at 7:10 PM, rocketdogbert said:

Hmmmmm, well I’m buggerd. I’m short sighted, have worn contacts for 35 years, now I need reading glasses.

So I can either see my gun to adjust it, or see what I’m shooting at, but not both :)

You know you could have just bought varifocal ballistic eye pro in the first place right? :P 

3 hours ago, Sako said:

I bought my raiders off amazon, then took them into Vision Express to get the prescription done on them. I think I paid something like £60, for scratch resistant and anti glare. I didn't bother with the insurance though because when you read the fine print, it excludes "action sports". The good thing about going in somewhere local rather than sending them off somewhere, is you can always take them back in if there's an issue. On my first game, I was getting a headache focusing on my front sight with them, I was able to take them back in straight after and they switched the lenses for a slightly weaker prescription there and then.

I rang a Bolle retailer up the road from me first, they quoted about £200 or something ridiculous for the inserts.

10 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

I bought my raiders off amazon, then took them into Vision Express to get the prescription done on them. I think I paid something like £60, for scratch resistant and anti glare. I didn't bother with the insurance though because when you read the fine print, it excludes "action sports". The good thing about going in somewhere local rather than sending them off somewhere, is you can always take them back in if there's an issue. On my first game, I was getting a headache focusing on my front sight with them, I was able to take them back in straight after and they switched the lenses for a slightly weaker prescription there and then.

I rang a Bolle retailer up the road from me first, they quoted about £200 or something ridiculous for the inserts.

A valid point about the local retailers, my issue is that all our local retailers are quoting almost £190 to do the job, which is ludicrous to say the least! So I’m going to have to ‘outsource’ I’m happy enough my consumer rights will cover any issues though, but appreciate there would be a larger lead time.

20 minutes ago, Sako said:

A valid point about the local retailers, my issue is that all our local retailers are quoting almost £190 to do the job, which is ludicrous to say the least! So I’m going to have to ‘outsource’ I’m happy enough my consumer rights will cover any issues though, but appreciate there would be a larger lead time.

£190 to put in lenses on Bolle Raiders?!

Bolle designed the inserts to be a standard frame shape, there’s no fancy cutting or anything needed. Find a local vision express, they’ll probably have the lenses already in stock. Your probably looking at £40 for them to fit the lenses, plus an extra £20 or so if you want things like anti scratch (not really necessary since they’re behind ballistic lenses), anti glare, etc. And you can change the lenses when your prescription changes, free of charge I believe.

• Root Admin

Again, these companies don't see reglazing as a money-maker and would rather you 'take advantage' of their combined packages on frames + glaze. Frames can be marked up massively as they're just easily replicable bits of plastic and/or metal. Lenses are far more competitive off the high street.

But ya know, for £50 you can basically get all the bells and whistles without even needing to walk into a shop as discussed previously in the thread.

33 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Again, these companies don't see reglazing as a money-maker and would rather you 'take advantage' of their combined packages on frames + glaze. Frames can be marked up massively as they're just easily replicable bits of plastic and/or metal. Lenses are far more competitive off the high street.

But ya know, for £50 you can basically get all the bells and whistles without even needing to walk into a shop as discussed previously in the thread.

I suppose I just like the idea of their “lifetime service” - any time you need new lenses, it’s  all included in the original price even if it’s 20 years down the road.

I didn’t see how much you were paying to send yours away..

• Root Admin

Really? They'll reglaze on a new prescription or is it if they break? That's a solid deal.

And yeh, I just don't want to tread over old ground because people haven't read the thread before posting. This sounds like something new for sure though.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:28 PM, proffrink said:

Really? They'll reglaze on a new prescription or is it if they break? That's a solid deal.

And yeh, I just don't want to tread over old ground because people haven't read the thread before posting. This sounds like something new for sure though.

I got mine reglazed on a different prescription at no charge. I don't know if it'll cover if it breaks, you may have to buy an insurance policy for that.

Of course, when you do go in, they'll try the upsell on you for options extras, that's where they make their money from the free reglazing. The "and since you're getting new lenses, why not try these special anti-glare etc. etc"

Rather than start a new thread I have a quick question in a similar vein, 

I found these ‘Bolle Blast’ goggles at work (quite a few pairs) and can’t determine if these are suitable for Airsoft use, anyone able to decipher...

Lens 2-1, 2  (crown symbol) 1BT9 

Frame EN166 (crown symbol) 3BT9

im sure there are some boffins on here able to advise.

The ballistic info is available right there on the webpage.  It’s  rated for class B mechanical strength, which is to resist a 0.86g ball bearing fired at 400fps. I would say you’re fine for airsoft where you’re unlikely to find anything heavier than half that weight travelling half that speed. And those are the powerful snipers.

Use dem eyes and dat mouse and clicky on da page ;)

1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

The ballistic info is available right there on the webpage.  It’s  rated for class B mechanical strength, which is to resist a 0.86g ball bearing fired at 400fps. I would say you’re fine for airsoft where you’re unlikely to find anything heavier than half that weight travelling half that speed. And those are the powerful snipers.

Use dem eyes and dat mouse and clicky on da page ;)

Good point, was just unsure about the 2-1, 2 1BT9 bit, was expecting just a straight forward EN166 ‘B’ or ‘F’, so wanted to be sure so no one ends up like Stevie Wonder! 

Ill hand and a few pairs out now I’ve got confirmation of suitability, thank you for that Ash!

19 minutes ago, Sako said:

Good point, was just unsure about the 2-1, 2 1BT9 bit, was expecting just a straight forward EN166 ‘B’ or ‘F’, so wanted to be sure so no one ends up like Stevie Wonder! 

Ill hand and a few pairs out now I’ve got confirmation of suitability, thank you for that Ash!

It is EN166 B. That’s where I got the info from ;)

1BT9 are all the different protection ratings. Eg, B is EN166 B. T is EN166 T which is the high temperature particles

1 = Optical Class 1

B = B Mechanical (/ballistic) resistance

T = T Mechanical (/ballistic) high temperature resistance

9 = Thermic Risk protection

4 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

It is EN166 B. That’s where I got the info from ;)

1BT9 are all the different protection ratings. Eg, B is EN166 B. T is EN166 T which is the high temperature particles

1 = Optical Class 1

B = B Mechanical (/ballistic) resistance

T = T Mechanical (/ballistic) high temperature resistance

9 = Thermic Risk protection

Cheers for the clarification, going to hand out a few pairs at next meet to anyone wanting a pair.

• Moderators

Interesting to see if they ‘fog’???, let us know ;):)

30 minutes ago, djben9 said:

They most probably will tbh, but personally I’m going down the prescription safety specs route so these will be a freebie for anyone wanting to try them.

2 hours ago, djben9 said:

I would imagine they will fog pretty badly - they're not designed for active sports use, and they sound like by being very protective, they also don't have much in terms of ventilation. Interested to hear how they turn out.

7 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

I would imagine they will fog pretty badly - they're not designed for active sports use, and they sound like by being very protective, they also don't have much in terms of ventilation. Interested to hear how they turn out.

I’ll certainly let you guys know how they faired (will post on this thread).

Id say the way to go is contact lenses ive being playing around 2 years and only got contacts in the past few months and they work a treat i hated wearing full face pro unless its bottom jaw but i cant wear goggles so getting contacts and wearing a pair of sawflys works a treat 

44 minutes ago, kierant157 said:

Id say the way to go is contact lenses ive being playing around 2 years and only got contacts in the past few months and they work a treat i hated wearing full face pro unless its bottom jaw but i cant wear goggles so getting contacts and wearing a pair of sawflys works a treat 

I had trouble with contacts falling out or getting a bit of dirt stuck in them running around in the mud. Never again.

8 hours ago, P13 said:

Anyone tried bolle 180s? 

Appear similar to the Bolle Blast goggles I’ve mentioned further back in this thread I would say, myself and others believe these will most likely have an issue with fogging as their intentions are mostly for industrial (machinists type??) work.

Archived