Airsoft officially legal in Australia

Spectre77
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is a UK forum, I know, so I don't imagine a lot of you will care all that much one way or the other but the impossible has finally happened. Airsoft is to be legalised in the state of Queensland, Australia (my home state, lucky) following ammendments to the Weapon Catagories Regulation 1997 (QLD), which will officially classify airsoft as Catagory A firearms from march 2018 under a new 'air guns' classification. The fact that they are still considered guns is a bit of a shame, it does put some limits on transporting them, storing them and using them at home, and means AR's, LMG's, SMG's and pistols are off the table still due to appearance restrictions, but based on the explanitory notes for the ammendment I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see furthur development. Getting them formally classified was just the first step.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

This is huge news!

I know that UKAPU has been helping the Aussies try and get airsoft legalised, so I've been following it.

Well done, now you can ditch nerf and those silly water-gel ball blasters.

Well, we can ditch the nerf at any rate. We don't have the gel ball blasters anymore, government took those away for being to gun-like as well. You can see why I said it was impossible lol.

That'll depend on how weapons licensing chooses to interpret section 8.1a

"a machine gun or submachine gun that is fully automatic in its operation and actuated by energy developed when it is being fired or has multiple revolving barrels, and any replica or facsimile of a machine gun or submachinegun that is not a toy"

I'de say not.

I'm never sure what the dinosaurs in the legislative assembly are thinking half the time. Considering the majority of the ammendment is focused on banning shotguns with greater than 5 shells and the new catagory is just an afterthought, i'de say there where probably thinking "if we give them this, maybe they'll stop the sustained email bombardment we've been putting up with for the last few years".

If we go by the absolute letter of the law, shotguns and sniper rifles greater than 750mm in length should be ok, it's not much but it's a start.

Knowing how much they hate any violence in video games it's not look good at least for the moment. On the plus side they're all old miserable bastards who should be dead in a few years

• Supporters
3 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

Knowing how much they hate any violence in video games it's not look good at least for the moment. On the plus side they're all old miserable bastards who should be dead in a few years

Well, same goes for the Ozzie army.  It's mostly superannuated geezers now, and they can't recruit enough yoofs to replace them.  Much like the UK's situation too.

I'm sure that's got nothing to do with demonising and thought-criming anything and everything to do with guns.

Certain of it.

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking about how me and my brother would love to start going international with airsofting, and then Australia came to mind and their harsh but understandable weapons laws.

This is pretty awesome news considering. Just means ill be wearing less gear to accomodate the heat ;)

3 hours ago, RabidNinja64 said:

I was just thinking about how me and my brother would love to start going international with airsofting, and then Australia came to mind and their harsh but understandable weapons laws.

This is pretty awesome news considering. Just means ill be wearing less gear to accomodate the heat ;)

UK vs USA 2019.

They are doing the UK version in 2018 at Dogtag, gatwick. 2019 will be in the states. I'd love to go an do that

Great news for Aus, iv'e also been following the UKAPU updates and signed the petition for it.

• 2 months later...

I love the thought of playing a skirmish in Aus, "Yeah you can join out air-soft team? In our 12,000 acre site? oh yeah, just watch out for the Adders, Crocs and spiders" (Said in an Aussie accent)

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Ex-Rnuw said:

I love the thought of playing a skirmish in Aus, "Yeah you can join out air-soft team? In our 12,000 acre site? oh yeah, just watch out for the Adders, Crocs and spiders" (Said in an Aussie accent)

camping allowed?!! :lol:

Archived