Sweat in goggles.

LewisUK
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Fogging / rain out is caused by water condensing on the lenses.  A more humid environment inside the glasses/goggles because of breath will make it worse but moisture in the air normally is enough.  

The key is to keep the air inside the goggles/glasses cooler than the lenses or to replace the air often enough that the temperature doesn't build (your face will heat it up). 

Airflow is key, a fan in your goggles or just keeping moving with glasses.  If you have a sealed environment in there you're 100% going to fog regardless of ANY other factor. 

• Supporters

Well, a followup.

Cat Crap on the ASG dual panes worked for about an hour or so.  It didn't fog as such, but it got saturated and became an increasingly blurry and smeared emulsion that was a sod to clean off, so I couldn't even start games with clear vision.

I switched to a clean set of vented goggles, also Cat Crapped, but they fogged up within half an hour, and became unusable.

So half way through the day I switched to mesh goggles (£4.16 delivered from China, only the best for me) in desperation.  They were better than I remembered the site mesh masks being, not ideal, but I think having the mesh closer to my eyes helped. The vision limitation was consistent, they were just about usable in the dark downstairs, and I was never left helpless.

I guess that's me on mesh now, unless I win the lottery and can take a gamble on fan-vented goggles.

• Moderators

You may still have issues!!

i need to remove top foam from a pair I have as only has bottom foam removed, that should help vent some more hot air!!

but everyone is different, id love to wear glasses but my revision sawflies fog up as soon as I put them on!!!

I had to switch from clear goggles to mesh ones last weekend.

Not from sweat dripping but the heat from my face condensing moisture on the inside.  They had quite good ventilation too as I'd drilled loads of extra holes around the frame.

I'll be sticking to mesh even tho I prefer clear perspex.

(Make sure to sand off the paint from inside and use black marker instead)

• Mostly Retired Moderators
13 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I guess that's me on mesh now, unless I win the lottery and can take a gamble on fan-vented goggles.

You could make your own.

My Goggles have two micro fans wired to two AAA batteries with a switch.

Works a treat.

"Go on, try it yourself..."

neil.jpg

• Supporters
2 hours ago, EDcase said:

I'll be sticking to mesh even tho I prefer clear perspex.

(Make sure to sand off the paint from inside and use black marker instead)

To prevent the paint spalling?  Neat idea.

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

You could make your own.

My Goggles have two micro fans wired to two AAA batteries with a switch.

Works a treat.

"Go on, try it yourself..."

Oh, I might very well, just for a giggle if nothing else.  Got a source for appropriately small fans?

The other thing I was considering was rather than mounting fans directly on the goggles, have a remote fan and use tubing to carry air into the goggles.  That should allow for using a larger fan with more airflow.

• Moderators

i just had a look on google and could not find any decent images of desk fans on goggles i wanted to post up!!!! lol

fogging isnt my issue really its just the droplet obscuring vision problem i have, but as ive been told by a few, in AS you dont need the foam as dont need to stop dust and you have to keep moving to allow airflow through the goggles....so top will be removed

ive had very little problems with my bulletants and ESSv12s....maybe you should have a look at them :) ....they have been wiped with fogtech 

• Mostly Retired Moderators
9 minutes ago, EDcase said:

These might work...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/micro-fan

Best to mount venting out.

That's pretty much them. 

Then some wire to a battery box with a switch on does the job.

Admittedly I didn't make them.

I bought the goggs from @mintsauce5 all ready put together, so he might be able to lend his advice.

• Supporters

Cheers, chaps, ordered up.  I've also gone for a pair of 50mmx50mmx15mm nautilus style fans which I reckon might suit my tubing plot.  Should be fun finding out.

Get a load of 120" fans and you can make a levitating version :D

What should also work in theory is to have a tube with a one way valve going from the bottom of goggles to mouth mask so that breathing in takes fresh air through the goggles to keep them clear.

After browsing for anything related to fog/sweat in goggles for many hours, I came across this youtube video.

Now what peaked my curiosity was the magnetic fog wipe.....think "Fish tank cleaner" lol

Anyway..i've ordered a couple from the states (Ebay link below) and will try them out when I get them for my next game in November and will post feedback on the results.... :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Airsoft-Paintball-Mask-FOG-WIPER-Mask-NOT-included-/180828958351?_ul=NI

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, Monkman said:

Now what peaked my curiosity was the magnetic fog wipe.....think "Fish tank cleaner" lol

Anyway..i've ordered a couple from the states (Ebay link below) and will try them out when I get them for my next game in November and will post feedback on the results.... :) 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Airsoft-Paintball-Mask-FOG-WIPER-Mask-NOT-included-/180828958351?_ul=NI

Think that is what @L3wisD (post 15) and @Prisce (post 17) were talking about

35 minutes ago, snuff said:

Hardly stopping them from fogging is it?

Well they don't prevent fogging, but they make cleaning safer since you don't have to remove your eyepro.

I played yesterday with my now familair set up.Cat crap/fanned goggle and sweat band/no head wear.

TBH it is the sweatband and no headwear that has made the crucial difference,I put the fan on once when I was sniping and at the end of the day the sweatband was soaked...

• Supporters

I used Rainex anti fog wipes (£5 from halfords) yesterday. I have to say, I was seriously impressed, no fogging at all after one application, had sweat running down the goggles which made them a tad blurry, but no fog whatsoever.

• Moderators

Fogtech Dx wipes, abbey fog spray, revision wipes etc, all work well with me, its the running of liquid on the goggle lens ive issues with....when hot :)

Headband worked well with me last time

only like playing on windy days.....:lol::rolleyes:

hows does it compare cost wise to others??, looks to be better value as most sprays are around £10 and wipes around £1+

On 10/16/2017 at 9:58 PM, Rogerborg said:

Cat Crap on the ASG dual panes worked for about an hour or so.  It didn't fog as such, but it got saturated and became an increasingly blurry and smeared emulsion that was a sod to clean off, so I couldn't even start games with clear vision.

I switched to a clean set of vented goggles, also Cat Crapped, but they fogged up within half an hour, and became unusable.

I use cat crap and another anti fog gel that I cant remember the name of right now.... I apply it the night before a game so it has time to dry then I buff the gel off with a decent cloth while sorting my gear in the safe zone and don't have an issue. You may want to try it that way rather than (only going on my interpretation of what you've written) applying it wiping off and going straight into a game.

• Supporters

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  The dual panes + cat crap very nearly worked, although to be honest it was a relief when I binned them and went mesh.

• Moderators

with my sprays i usually apply night before and gently wipe the lens or first thing in the morning while rushing around getting kids breakfasts before departing...

never know though if ive applied enough and worry i wipe off with gentle wipe....

maybe wearing at the gym would give me a better test as im there more often than games :).....just look odd! haha

Make sure after a sweaty day that you wash the lens thoroughly to remove any sweaty/salty residue...I use a light soap(Dove..lol) and plenty of cold water from a running tap to rinse them,towel pat dry and leave on a window sill until the day before a games when I cat crap them...it's only taken years to perfect for me...

Archived