The Beginners Guide to Airsoft

M_P
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

just a post to say great little topic ive just read!, hopefully now other newbs will see and read it

obviously a lot is covered in the forums as well elsewhere :)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks guys, very informative and saves me a lot of time asking silly questions :)

I do have one that i can't seem to find in the search bar and that's are there any differences other than the colour on a Two Tone to a Rif of the same make and model?

Thanks again.

• Supporters

Thanks guys, very informative and saves me a lot of time asking silly questions :)

I do have one that i can't seem to find in the search bar and that's are there any differences other than the colour on a Two Tone to a Rif of the same make and model?

Thanks again.

No

• 3 weeks later...

Completely new to Airsoft here, haven't gone to a match yet or bought any gear for that matter, but looks like something I really want to get in to as a sport and a hobby. I'm extremely grateful you have put this up, considering my first thoughts were to in fact purchase a pistol because they were the cheapest! Now I won't be, and will most likely be purchasing this 'G&G CM16 Combat Machine' from Patrol Base, as the Patrol Base thread seems to be glowing with recommendations; so thank you for posting this here, greatly appreciated! :D

• 10 months later...

Very useful. Made me change my mind on a few things.

I recently played a full day at Reading Mall with ZED and had a great day out with rental kit. Looking more locally (midlands) for a similar experience. Definitely need to raise my level of fitness as I've paid the price with very achy legs this week.

I started thinking a pistol would be good, but now more included to look at a CQB M4 setup as it would be more flexible in terms of acceptable use between indoor and out. I'd like to start out with something I'm not wasting cash on though. So am looking at buying something that will progress through to a HPA conversion. Or am I best off just going cheap and entry level and  buy new later though?.

Three best things I ever bought for my 1 day so far have been own eye protection and mask, tactical torch and KNEE PADS. Seriously, the knee pads have saved me a lot of pain this week. As achy as I've been (I ain't no spring chicken) without knee pads my legs would have been written off! I'll probably upgrade what I bought, but there were so many first timers on rentals that without a torch were lost in the dark areas and without their own eye pro and suffered with uncomfortable masks rubbing their noses.

I bought a One Tigris folding mesh mask, Bolle tracker II safety glasses, Viper hard shell knee pads and a J5 tactical torch (I just taped this to the rental with electrical tape). So not a huge expense, but I figured they made what I spent on travelling to the venue and the price paid far better than it would have been without them.

Your focus should be on whether you buy a two tone or wait for the "classic" defence to buying a RIF - technically speaking you already have a defence but using it is not so easy.

G&G M4s including necessary accessories and two tone can be had for £150 - that makes getting your defence a lot more relaxed. :)

3 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

Your focus should be on whether you buy a two tone or wait for the "classic" defence to buying a RIF - technically speaking you already have a defence but using it is not so easy.

G&G M4s including necessary accessories and two tone can be had for £150 - that makes getting your defence a lot more relaxed. :)

Thanks for that. I was thinking I may just do rental until I can get the defence sorted. Over a 3 month period I'm not likely to do one a month and I also need to find a site I'd like to join first. Looks like there are a few around me to choose from. So just a question of finding the site and style I'd prefer. So I'm not in a rush to buy hardware just yet. Still a lot to learn.

56 minutes ago, warlord said:

Thanks for that. I was thinking I may just do rental until I can get the defence sorted. Over a 3 month period I'm not likely to do one a month and I also need to find a site I'd like to join first. Looks like there are a few around me to choose from. So just a question of finding the site and style I'd prefer. So I'm not in a rush to buy hardware just yet. Still a lot to learn.

You don't need to join a site to get UKARA, the site just has to be recognised by UKARA - also UKARA is not the only defence - it's just the easiest.

Although, for UKARA its generally best - but not mandatory - to do all the games at the same site.

Ahh right that's a question I was saving up. Let's say I didn't want to play at the same site, but go on a bit of a tour, then that would have been difficult. So by playing at the Reading Mall I've already got a check box in the UKARA box? So if I then play at other UKARA sites I can still get a defense over the next 3 months or so?

17 minutes ago, warlord said:

Ahh right that's a question I was saving up. Let's say I didn't want to play at the same site, but go on a bit of a tour, then that would have been difficult. So by playing at the Reading Mall I've already got a check box in the UKARA box? So if I then play at other UKARA sites I can still get a defense over the next 3 months or so?

To get the check box you need to play two games at the same site within a period of two months and then another game at that site from the third month through 365 days from the first game.

To keep your options open I would strongly recommend you play another game at the mall within 6-7 weeks of your last game - that way you can get ukara and join the mall any time you like by just playing another game within the next 12 months (counted from the first game).

A catchphrase (I've forgot the usual one sorry guys!) for ukara is "At least 2 games in not more than 2 months and at least [a total of] 3 games within 12 months of your first game."

Decoded that's:

Game 1.

Game 2 - Within 56 days of game 1.

Game 3 at least 56 days after game 1 but not more than 365 days after game 1.

In most cases sites allow the same day of the week as game 1 for game 3 even if it's within 60 days - so long as it's not before day 56. But check before hand because 56 and 63 is hardly a long wait.

Just now, Sacarathe said:

To get the check box you need to play two games at the same site within a period of 60 days and then another game at that site from the 59th day through 365 days from the first game.

To keep your options open I would strongly recommend you play another game at the mall within 6-7 weeks of your last game - that way you can get ukara and join the mall any time you like by just playing another game within the next 12 months (counted from the first game.

The catchphrase for ukara is "2 games in not more than 2 months and 3 games in total."

Decoded that's:

Game 1.

Game 2 - Within 59 days of game 1.

Game 3 at least 59 days after game 1 but not more than 365 days after game 1.

That's great thanks. That's a lot clearer than I thought. Does make it impossible for roving local sites until I find one I'd be happy to join though. Looks like it's go back to Reading or play more locally. So I'll have to trawl to find reviews of local sites. I'm planning on going to the Gaol at the end of the month for a look see.

3 minutes ago, warlord said:

That's great thanks. That's a lot clearer than I thought. Does make it impossible for roving local sites until I find one I'd be happy to join though. Looks like it's go back to Reading or play more locally. So I'll have to trawl to find reviews of local sites. I'm planning on going to the Gaol at the end of the month for a look see.

Airsoft sites are not like clubs, some have membership, but it's nowhere near the same as other similar hobbies.

I edited my post please re-read. :)

Get your 2nd mall game in, unless you thought the venue and organisers were awful, that way you've got 11 months to play again there and unlock UKARA, meanwhile you can do what ever you like while scouting the other sites.

Should you not need ukara for 5 months, no worries because once you have banked the first two games within 2 months, the next time you play at that venue you can have ukara - ZED charge £10 for it fyi.

Worth it imo, I paid zed the £10 for UKARA even though I could have had it free for a gamenight at another site. :)

• Moderators

Don't worry about when you play game 2, as long as there is the time limit between 1 and 3 as mentioned you will be fine

i was over 3 months between 1 and 2 and 3 followed a few weeks later 

You will get  loads of advice but outcome will 99% of the time be the same

just follow the advice above by Sacarathe and it will be easier there after..... it will fly by!!!, to many look for shortcuts

, j know your not ^_^ :) but it's there for a reason as part of the requirement for some for our 'sport'

think the paint fumes have gone to my head!!! Haha

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is the most useful guide I have found online. It has made a great Sunday morning read with my coffee. Thanks for this.

I think i will spend more time choosing kit and make the right choice first time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2017 at 17:35, warlord said:

Very useful. Made me change my mind on a few things.

I recently played a full day at Reading Mall with ZED and had a great day out with rental kit. Looking more locally (midlands) for a similar experience. Definitely need to raise my level of fitness as I've paid the price with very achy legs this week.

I feel your pain! played my first game at Exeter last week, all 45 degree slopes. walked like i shat myself for 3 days. calf's, thighs, ankles and lower back all took a beating. great fun, great post, lots of useful advice that I will no doubt ignore and buy an M14 EBR, because why have f*cked legs only when my arms could be ruined too!!!

Archived