A&K CASV M4 - Converting to a high ROF LMG platform. Upgrades?

RabidNinja64
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So after spending a year or so out of the sport, i've dipped my toe back in the pool of gaining more scars and welts ^_^ 

With the title in question, i'm curious to see what needs to be upgraded/swapped out in order for my m4 to be "redesigned" as an LMG platform; FPS is out of the question for me, as i'm hitting roughly 330 on a 7.4 lipo CURRENTLY ; Problem is that im unsure and can't find any information concerning stock specs about my rifle as i believe the motor to be high torque, as well as an m100 spring to stay under the 350 limit at my local field. 

What would be some recommended internal upgrades to it to increase ROF without setting anything on fire? Would a mosfet be the most ideal? and will I need to upgrade my gearset? May even go for a 6.03 tightbore for better accuracy later down the line.

you would need 16:1 or 13:1 gears, steel tooth piston, mosfet( most important part) and motor if its not torque motor. After that you could short stroke piston with gears, get your gearbox shimmed, and fix AOE( angle of engagement) - this would make sure your pistol lasts longer with the gears. I have setup with shs 13:1 gears/ steel tooth piston, gate titan mosfet. gears are shimmed and aoe is fixed with airseal. i get around 310 fps with 45rps at max(even tho i cant use that in my local field, 45 rps looks like a white laser coming out of your gun. I empty my 160 mid caps in few seconds )

If you're building an LMG then are you intending to use a lot of sustained full auto fire?

And what do you consider a high ROF?

If you just want a decent ROF then go 16TPA motor, 13:1 gears and 11.1v lipo. This will also need a lightened piston (just take the bearing out) and an M110 or 120 spring to avoid premature engagement and a piston short stroke to bring the FPS back down.

The reduced cylinder volume means you'll need a shorter barrel. A tight bore won't do anything for the accuracy. A decent quality barrel will help a fraction, but accuracy comes from the hop up and the quality of your ammunition.

For it to survive the AOE and shimming together with the rest of the assembly will need to be very good. A high quality gearbox shell with modifications for longevity will be a good idea.

16awg wiring and Deans connectors will be required to handle the sustained current draw. Mosfets aren't great at switching high currents for prolonged periods, although the Firestorm units are rated for a continuous 50A. Give it a try, but you might need to consider fitting a high current micro switch s fitted to support weapons like the M249.

For magazines your choice is to either build your own, the Krytac box mag for their M4 LMG, or a 900 round 'fat mag' but for sustained fire you really want a battery winding mag.

Having done this before, even if you've got good tech and fabrication skills, it's a lot easier to just buy a support weapon.

Archived