How many of us wear helmets?

Nicky blue eyes
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, battle captain corpus said:

I've been looking at either a MK6 (for authenticity with rest of kit, but they are a weight on your noodle!) or a Fast/Emerson version.

I normally wear a baseball cap or boonie hat, but I play woodland/village so not too much of the head bump mischief.

Saying that more CQB action has really interested me so I think next months purchase maybe a helmet of some form. It would have to have a scrolling adjuster on the back though. Cant abide just the foam padding to keep it in place.

BCC

If you go the FAST/PJ/BJ/Maritime route I'd recommend FMA over Emerson. It comes in two size ranges and has the dial adjuster for fit.

I used to wear a Mil-Tec MICH2002 helmet, purely for the GoPro mount.

I used to wear a cap, but then a chance encounter with a wayward grenade and a door frame at The Mall made me think I should invest in a brain bucket, so I did. Been using an Emerson PJ (advanced type) for the last couple of years, it's got the wheel and the chin cupping strap, so it stays in place nicely, slides around less than my work helmet. Only thing I didn't like about it was the crappy padding, felt like it digging into my head after a few hours, so I ripped the pads out and put in some alternative ones that I had as spares from another helmet, though I cant remember the brand. Now it's nice and comfy.     

I've worn a fast (Maritime) helmet pretty much since I started doing Airsoft. The amount of times I've been hit in the head made it more than worthwhile. My only issue with the fast helmet was the open ears, I have been shot in the ear a few times and its not fun & made me really worry about permanent damage, I have tried various ear defenders etc but too many straps & things have now made me make the change to a MICH. Which I absolutely love, it definitely feels slightly bigger but I'm happy with the covering of my ears as my hearing is very important to me (I am a huge music lover).  

If anyone is thinking of getting a helmet, i'd always recommend it, injuries suck, lasting damage is even worse (Take it from an ex boxer who still has injuries to this day) . to me making this decision isn't worth the time to consider.

Its simple common sense to protect yourself & have fun. 

Getting hit in the ears is one of considerations I'm thinking of. The other one is sweating out. Its trying to find that trade off between the two.  Either way a brain bucket of some sort is getting brought.

17 hours ago, Nicky blue eyes said:

Getting hit in the ears is one of considerations I'm thinking of. The other one is sweating out. Its trying to find that trade off between the two.  Either way a brain bucket of some sort is getting brought.

Yeh mate, its a trade off, I have tried pretty much every way to protect my head possible and you will always come back to the head covering vs heat retention. The more covered you are the less your skin can breathe. 

At one point I tried a fast helmet with peltor ear defenders, to make sure I could hear I drilled 2mm holes through the shells but I hated the sea shell effect it had on my hearing. So I've just gone to a Mich instead, it will definitely be a sweaty affair but everything is protected which is what I have to accept as the trade off. 

I've always been a very thick blooded person, I have real issues with overheating, I run three times a week & mountain bike most weekends & I have issues with heat in all these sports. I have been known to go out on my bike with no thermals in the snow, I wore a long sleeve t shirt and 3/4 length shorts......my constant heat generation is great for winter but hard in the summer. The idea of a beach holiday somewhere tropical is my idea of hell, id spend the whole time glugging ice cold water in the shade nursing horrific insomnia lol.

5 hours ago, Fumps said:

I've always been a very thick blooded person, I have real issues with overheating, I run three times a week & mountain bike most weekends & I have issues with heat in all these sports. I

I'm just fat!!! Lol in all fairness for me over heating is the big decider for me. The face mask i got mostly covers my ears.  The big one is mainly protecting my forhead... well as much of my head that i can.As yet  I've not been shot in the ear. But its a bit like being a virgin bride. You know its going to happen. You just not sure how bad its going to be.

Never wanted to wear a helmet, myself and my son used to rock Eclipse paintball bandanas with the gel seatband. I'm a heavy sweater and bald so the thought of helmet sweats was enough to put me off.

Anyways fast forward to about a month ago when I took full auto to the head from about 15ft range (M249 or some such). I actually thought I was going to cry! The pain was that intense :D. Anyway that was it, bought a fast helmet (PJ style) and my lad decided he wanted one to. 

Ok, there's always a chance that a BB is going to strike a bit of uncovered skin around the face but when you hear the bb's ping offa the helmet you know it's money well spent :D

I've also just bought a "Headsweats" skullcap to wear underneath  to help with soaking up the waterfall of sweat I produce (my lad doesn't suffer bless him) I may look like a tw*t but it's a price I'm willing to pay!

I took a distant shot to the back of my head, 2 close in pistol shots to my forhead  by 2 diffent people 20 minutes apart. Both of them were bleeders. And I also hit my head on a very low bridge. After a splitting head ache and feeling pretty sick, ( yes I know I should have seen a doctor) I accept the odd head shot here or there but  that many bangs to the noodle in one game has  convinced me to get a helmet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I always run a fast helmet. They're nice and lightweight and offer good protection against BBs and the occasional fall. I used to run a MK6 with an impression kit but they're heavy and after a long day it takes its toll. 

The mk6 I have was bought from a second hand shop. It never really fitted and when worn with my goggles it slamed up and down and nearly broke my nose. Needless to say it never went out on the field with me. Still it looks pretty cool though.

22 hours ago, Vracktal said:

I wear a flecktarn cap sometimes, but generally I'll wear nothing as I can't deal with the inevitable sweatiness.

At least put some trousers on ;)

• Supporters

I have a few lids (I tend to double up on some kit as I buy for my son as well), but only use the lids when playing urban type sites, the risk from low pipes at the mall or numerous shiz at the ucap tunnels etc etc means sweating up is preferable to stitches & concussion.

Dont worry about being shot in the nut, as far as I'm concerned that's all part of the game.

I do reccomend the dial type adjusters in lids, even bought a new cradle for my old 2001 that didn't have a dial, way more comfortable than the old chinstraps etc.

15 hours ago, Tackle said:

I do recommend the dial type adjusters in lids, even bought a new cradle for my old 2001 that didn't have a dial, way more comfortable than the old chinstraps etc.

I'm about to do just that with my new MICH 2000 its the first thing on my shopping list 

Archived