Gas powered G36 for £110?

tleigh92
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'd expect the standard upgrades for cheaply built guns. Hop-up rubber and chamber. maybe inner barrell? It's too powerfull for where I play according to taiwangun so possibly a widebore, or trying it on 144a? Not sure how else you'd lower the fps on it. 

42 minutes ago, tleigh92 said:

I'd expect the standard upgrades for cheaply built guns. Hop-up rubber and chamber. maybe inner barrell? It's too powerfull for where I play according to taiwangun so possibly a widebore, or trying it on 144a? Not sure how else you'd lower the fps on it. 

TaiwanGun downgrade to about 330fps with a lower spring for free when they ship to the UK. To be honest, I got a CYMA M4 from them, put in a guarder spring and tightbore inner barrel, and it was fine.

15 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Spring?

a12.jpg

FFS I'M A DOOFUS.

Dunce hat shamefully donned.

I'm also interested so see what thoughts are on this, scrolled past it when browsing on TG before and hadn't realised it was GBB, just thought another cheap AEG.

But cheaper GBBs do exist and all I've ever seen is that they will have quite a lot of problems. 

I'd like to know how the mags hold up as well, you even get two? if they are gonna leak then it's not so great though and I don't know about availability of replacements.

2 hours ago, Airsoft_Mr B said:

I'm also interested so see what thoughts are on this, scrolled past it when browsing on TG before and hadn't realised it was GBB, just thought another cheap AEG.

But cheaper GBBs do exist and all I've ever seen is that they will have quite a lot of problems. 

I'd like to know how the mags hold up as well, you even get two? if they are gonna leak then it's not so great though and I don't know about availability of replacements.

Since I posted I did a bit more research. Found this video 

And it seems to be fully WE compatible. I'm waiting to order until they stock up on spare mags which I've been told is soon. 

• Supporters

The guy answered. I remembered wrong, he reviewed the WE G36. But he did service the Army before and he said it's the same as the WE, but it uses a little worse material and the mags a bit different, they are a heavier.

His WE diary shortened and translated:

Outer barrel moves back and forth, needed tightening.

Charging lever needed to be changed to aluminium.

Changed hopup rubber because the inner barrel was sharp.

Changed the outer barrel.

Nozzle spring.

NPAS

Broken bolthead

Steel trigger group

I heard the npas has pretty poor fps delta compared to the lfs rings, and the rings are about half the price so I got them. I bought a replacement hop rubber and nozzle spring so that's fine. I've not got the replacement barrel nut or charging lever cos they are about 25 quid each. Figured I'd use it a bit, see how necessary they are and replace them if needed. I'll let you know how it goes though... 

I'll post here since there's no point opening a new thread for this. 

The gun arrived today! UPS left it next to the front door....for 3 hours...cheers. 

Also Taiwangun sent me FDE instead of black for some reason. I'm not too fussed because my Krytac is FDE, and my KWA G36 is black so at least I can tell the difference by colour alone :rolleyes:

Build Quality.

First impressions before I opened it up I was pretty happy! It's got less rattles than I was expecting, but you can still see the moulding seams which is unsurprising given the price point. I'd say the stock is actually better quality than my KWA G36, it clicks in place more firmly both folding in and clicking it back in place. The butt stock is nicer too - my KWA is just plastic but the Army Armament has a rubberised stock plate, which is a nice touch. However I can see why people suggest you change the charging lever too, It's pretty much useless plastic. 

The magazines so far are kinda ok, heavy...there was a little leak but that's just because the O-rings were a bit dry I think. Once I'd lubed em up a bit they didn't leak. I can't speak for the gas capacity but from what I've seen it can take about 100-120 shots, depending on the weather obvs. 

Shooting (Before I opened it up).

I put a magazine through it and holy moly it's loud, however I'm not used to GBB's so bare that in mind. Nice recoil too. I haven't chrono'd it yet but I didn't particularly care how fast it was shooting before I'd tried lowering it. One thing I noticed at this point is the fire select is pretty gammy, half the time I didn't know if it was on semi or safe. It seemed to sort itself out after I shot it a bit but It's still a bit weird. 

Opening it up. 

I took it apart which was SO easy, which I guess is pretty normal for GBB's and the G36 in particular. If you want a proper look at the internals I'd suggest looking at the video I posted above, which would give you a better idea than I could. As the video suggests, the recoil spring is garbage. Mine was bent in two places and super weak. Luckily I'd ordered a stronger one beforehand so I swapped that in pretty easily, and I stuck in a LFS (Low Flow System?) ring, I put the black one in which is the -10% fps apparently, haven't chrono'd yet so might need to go lower. It comes with -10%, -15% and -20% rings. The gun is advertised as 390 so (390-39=351) it MIGHT be ok, if it's cold...which it is...always. Not much else to say about it really. 

Shooting (Round 2). 
I learnt that lowering the FPS of a GBBR increases the kick. Noticeably in my opinion. That's about it, it shot which is good considering the last time I opened something up it was a AEP and I broke it (not irreparably broken). That's pretty much it before I chrono it and play with it on saturday. 

If I missed anything ask away. 

• 1 year later...

Stumbled on this whilst looking for spare mags for mine so thought I'd add my thoughts. 

Overall build quality is, as said above, quite nice. Not made from the same quality of AEG bodies,slightly thicker and courser plastics used, much nicer in hand. All the body parts and pins are a firm slot or push together. No wobbles and no creaks. 

Internally, I was pleased as well. I wouldn't recommend replacing anything in the trigger box until something breaks. it seems solid. One problem I have had is the hop, the WE model has a running problem where the hop adjustment ring couldn't be turned down enough, and for me, I had the opposite, that the ring couldn't be turned up enough to hop a .25 properly. The issue is that this rn is too long, and hits the sides of he hop unit before reaching the full length of the track. 5 minutes with a hacksaw shortening this piece of plastic and now I have another 30% of adjustment, now can be set skywards if I wished. Changed the rubber out to a green maple leaf, but left the inner barrel alone. Ill be using in CQB so tight bores are a waste IMO. 

Other problem was installing the FPS restrictor disc. The hard part was removing the nozzle. the pin that holds the spring at the rear of the bolt group was made of rather weak metal, and seemed to be glued in place. Mashed this pin a bit before it finally shifted. Annoyingly there's no good reason for this to be a pin and not a long shaft bolt. Would have been a far better design. I did manage to get this out but it makes me wary of when ill need to do maintenance again. 

Performance wise has been good, although I am at the end of a can of gas and moving off the Calor refilling Propane system so not sure how much is the gun and how much is still purging the propane. So far I have had to pick my shots, a full auto dump wont happen, possible not even in the heat of summer, but we haven't got to summer yet... 

For the money, and as an indoor only, hot weather, fancy a change rifle, its more than worth the price tag.

Archived