what is dean's

Steptoe
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The story goes that a deans connector offers a better trigger response because of the better quality of the contacts.

I wired mine to deans and I'm not sure whether it's better or not but it didn't break it - normally when  i touch wires everything breaks so it's a win in my book.

59 minutes ago, callumbagshaw said:

The story goes that a deans connector offers a better trigger response because of the better quality of the contacts.

I wired mine to deans and I'm not sure whether it's better or not but it didn't break it - normally when  i touch wires everything breaks so it's a win in my book.

I'm reluctant to find the whole "improvement" credible at all. Have you seen the connectors on the motor?

Deans is a nice connector. Certainly sturdier and likely to withstand the frequent connect/disconnects. Easier to get the right way round than a Tamiya.

2 minutes ago, warlord said:

I'm reluctant to find the whole "improvement" credible at all. Have you seen the connectors on the motor?

Deans is a nice connector. Certainly sturdier and likely to withstand the frequent connect/disconnects. Easier to get the right way round than a Tamiya.

Never looked in detail - like I said, I didn't notice much difference, just a ball ache that any battery i buy now needs chopping up 

• Supporters

But there is.

Mini tamiyas weren't created to handle the currents of an upgraded gun. An OK tamiya can handle an OK basic gun fine, but crappy chinese ones definitely don't work properly with high amps.

If you shoot a dozen quick single shots and the connector gets warm, that means the contact area is too small for that current, there is loss. Deans have large contact area, no loss, that extra current can be used by the motor, if everything else can deliver that current.

So if you don't see improvement it can be because your tamiya was good enough to deliver the current or because there is an other bottleneck in the system.

3 minutes ago, Samurai said:

But there is.

Mini tamiyas weren't created to handle the currents of an upgraded gun. An OK tamiya can handle an OK basic gun fine, but crappy chinese ones definitely don't work properly with high amps.

If you shoot a dozen quick single shots and the connector gets warm, that means the contact area is too small for that current, there is loss. Deans have large contact area, no loss, that extra current can be used by the motor, if everything else can deliver that current.

So if you don't see improvement it can be because your tamiya was good enough to deliver the current or because there is an other bottleneck in the system.

That's pretty much what I meant :D Tiny motor connectors won't help at all :D

Archived