Inner Barrel Advice Required - Vz 58

Jayjay
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im looking at upgrading the inner barrel in my Vz. 58 Compact.

It currently has a 185mm barrel and for such a short barrel im quite impressed with the accuracy and want to tinker with it a little and see how good it could be.

I have the rather long 232mm suppressor for it and was intending on upgrading the inner barrel to run through this mock suppressor.

The question I have, is what will make more of a difference in the opinion of you experienced folk;

A 363mm x 6.01mm Madbull Ultimate or similar

OR

A 407mm x 6.03mm Madbull Black Python/Laylax Prometheus 407mm x 6.03mm

Its currently shooting at about 320fps, so im also considering a change of spring to get it nearer to my local sites 350 fps limit.

I'm open to any other suggestions on how I could push this a little further if anyone has any bright ideas.

• Supporters

363 vs 407 won't make much difference BUT the big issue you may well have is that the cylinder isn't sized for that much longer of a barrel. Take into account swapping that out too and you should be OK. If you want to work on accuracy you'd be better served by tweaking the hop up than putting a long barrel in.

I did think about the cylinder length but in my novice world to upgrades I assumed that the Vz58 compact would share the same internals with the carbine variant and thus it shouldn't be an issue. I'll have to double check that.

I was looking at doing the hop up too.. but will have to do a bit more research into that as I don't really know what is good/bad etc.

• Supporters
On 9/23/2017 at 1:23 PM, Jayjay said:

I did think about the cylinder length but in my novice world to upgrades I assumed that the Vz58 compact would share the same internals with the carbine variant and thus it shouldn't be an issue. I'll have to double check that.

I was looking at doing the hop up too.. but will have to do a bit more research into that as I don't really know what is good/bad etc.

The compact has half the length of inner barrel as the full length carbine. I very much doubt that they have used the same cylinder for both, at the very least the port will need to be in a different place or the compact is massively overvolumed!

• Supporters

Seems I may be mistaken!

This User+manual+sa+58_back.jpg parts diagram from Ares suggest that all three (I only thought there was two) have the same gearbox!

I have seen that image before which is what made me assume they all used the same internals with the minor variations of barrel length.. So in theory I should be able to stick the AR length inner barrel in and have no issues?

Yeah I've seen pictures of the Carbine variant but never found it for sale in the UK. I think there's potentially a 4th variant coming out which has some of the accessories as standard!

What other upgrades would you suggest? 

I've considered hop up but wouldn't really know what chambers/rubbers etc would fit. I've found somewhere in the UK selling an upgraded Air Nozzle (i think it was an air nozzle at least) specifically for this.

They do use the same cylinder; I've got both. (And can cause problems; see below)

In all honesty; there's not really any point in going for a long inner barrel. I've put PDI 6.05s in both (A 205 and a 395mm for the Shorty and carbine respectively) and there's no noticeable difference between the two; so unless you just want the aesthetics I wouldn't bother going for an extended inner barrel.

Re; the cylinders, they come with a full length (i.e. non-ported) cylinder which caused me problems with the FPS variance:

As stock, The shorty would chrono at 320ish with no hop on a .20, but once I set it to a level suitable for .28s it jumped massively to 370+, whilst the carbine version had the opposite problem; with an M100 installed it would chrono around 330 with no hop, but once set would drop to around 270/280. (Both with .2s)
Putting in an M4 sized cylinder in both helped remedy this, with a much smaller variance between no hop and having it set for my desired BB weight; and both dropping with increased hop as normal.

Not sure if they're all affected in that way, but that's something to be aware of.

As for upgrades; it uses its own hop unit, so changing the chamber is a no-go currently. It also has its own built-in hop nub, so would need modifying to change that; only the bucking can be changed as standard. I've had good results with both G&G Greens and PDI W-Hold buckings.

Thanks for the information mate!

I will look at the bucking then and maybe give the inner barrel a miss. I use it with the suppressor anyway so I've already got the aesthetics, just thought seen as though I've got the room for a longer inner barrel I might as well look to make use of it if its going to make a difference.

I might still give it a crack, all got to start tinkering somewhere.

I've not bumped into another Vz user at my local site, would be interested to see how you run yours.

Archived