G&G Firehawk Upgrade

MattyAirsoft

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello I am new to forum, even though I have been reading posts/ topics for a while just never brothered to sign up lol. I am not new to airsoft although I am fairly new to modifications and upgrades to the guns.

So just a quick question regarding my G&G Firehawk. Fps is hovering around the 325-330 mark, was looking to increase this to 350+. 

Could anyone suggest any modifications to achieve this? Most replies when people ask questions like this are change the spring. I have spent the morning trying to figure out what spring comes standard in the stock gun, but was unable to find information. Could anyone confirm this? 

Any suggestions/ help is appreciated!

• 3 years later...

(I wanted to try and add my reply to an existing thread, contribute to it rather than starting a new one, as I've just made a small upgrade to my sons G&G Firehawk (standard model))

As I needed to get a new spring for my AEG from ak2m4 I thought I'd get a few parts to tweak my sons stock G&G Firehawk. He loves it as it's his first AEG, but it's noisy (I've already replaced the amplifying flash hider) and after playing with my DE M904E he really wants some more FPS to try and compete a bit better (he's getting very good, on his best day recently he had a 12 kill streak playing CQB).

So, I bought for him a ZCI rotary plastic hop up unit (the stock is a geared one), ML Macaron 60 degree, ML Omega nub and a 200m ZCI 6.02 inner barrel (the stock is 120mm and I think 6.05?).

My first shock when taking the Firehawk apart was that it has a full cylinder, I wasn't expecting that. All the above parts fitted with no issues at all so on to a chrono, and with no hop at all it was getting 376 FPS on 0.20g :o

It was getting dark in the garden so I applied some hop, maybe a third of a full turn, and I've no idea if the BB's were skying or not, but it brought things down to a better 346 FPS. I'll have to try it again outside at the weekend, somewhere a lot more open to see the path of the BB's, but with the stock spring (relevant to the original post) and cylinder and extra 80mm of inner barrel add a heck of a lot more FPS :)

Well, after bit more testing in daylight the FPS was only lower due to a huge amount of hop, BB's after maybe 10 or so meters just flew up like a rocket, so no 200mm inner barrel :(

Next stop an "ICS 6.04mm Inner Diameter 160mm Length" inner barrel, fitted this evening. So with only a light amount of hop applied, it doesn't need much going from the stock G&G geared hop unit and bucking to the ZCI plastic rotary hop unit with Macaron bucking and Omega nub, it's getting a consistent 346 FPS on 0.20g's and my son is very happy (up 26 FPS from stock).

He's probably getting a better rifle for Christmas, if the UK gets any stock of what I want to get for him from China, and if he does the devil in me wants to try something like a ZCI 340mm inner barrel just to see what the full cylinder can do with it 😈

On 18/09/2017 at 13:46, MattyAirsoft said:

Hello I am new to forum, even though I have been reading posts/ topics for a while just never brothered to sign up lol. I am not new to airsoft although I am fairly new to modifications and upgrades to the guns.

So just a quick question regarding my G&G Firehawk. Fps is hovering around the 325-330 mark, was looking to increase this to 350+. 

Could anyone suggest any modifications to achieve this? Most replies when people ask questions like this are change the spring. I have spent the morning trying to figure out what spring comes standard in the stock gun, but was unable to find information. Could anyone confirm this? 

Any suggestions/ help is appreciated!

For a slight increase of fps, just install a tighter barrel. You are only looking for a slight increase of fps. When I had a fire hawk, I did just that as I was only interested in rps and nothing else. In time the gearbox failed, then I upgraded it before I sold it.

The quality of air seals you have will prevent any air leaks, which will have a knock on effect of the fps.

• 5 months later...

I've a bit of time on my hands at the moment, and is this is an "upgrade thread", I'll post here about the GATE Titan v2 rear wired and MAXX Advanced Trigger I've just fitted to my son's Firehawk. It's a solid rifle, a good "starter" + its stumpiness can at times be very useful in close quarters + its has so much potential with as stock a full cylinder and a strong spring, however it's really let down by the mechanical trigger which is glacially slow to get off the first shot and if not pulled completely can prevent a full gearbox cycle on semi and cause a jam. 

I thought I may have to get the Dremel out but the Titan went into the gearbox perfectly with no issues at all, and start to finish took a little longer I expected as I carefully checked all three sensor types multiple times in the GCS app on my Android smartphone before fully re-assembling it (so maybe around two hours). Personally I love controllers, like in the Double Eagle M90X's my son and I have, as you can just get rid of things like cut off levers etc. and have a much simple mechanical setup (of course trusting that the controller does as intended and doesn't go pop).

So, it now has what feels in comparison an instant first shot (I'm wary to use pre-cocking as the stock spring feels like it may be close to an M120, I don't want things to break), can run our 11.1v LiPo's (it was before only ever used on 7.4v LiPo's), and the geek in me loves the telemetry in the GCS app. The auto is also substantially better, but the RPS is not that great, so I think a higher torque or brushless motor would make it go like the clappers.

Finally, relevant to the OP, the FPS has gone up by around 10 from before installing the Titan. Does using an 11.1v have a positive impact, or is it that I removed the thick and over applied original G&G grease everywhere and frugally used Super Lube, or a combination of both?

(I'm also going to pinch it for a few rounds when we next play, see what it's like in action)

46 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

the FPS has gone up by around 10 from before installing the Titan. Does using an 11.1v have a positive impact, or is it that I removed the thick and over applied original G&G grease everywhere and frugally used Super Lube

I'm relatively new to the airsoft tech. side of things, but... all the 11.1v battery will do is get the motor (and therefore the gears) turning faster.  The sector gear will release at exactly the same point, and will therefore compress the spring to the same point.  So this won't have any impact on the FPS.  So if you've greased the inside of the cylinder, then that's likely to be the cause of your FPS increase.  Failing that, it could be that things are just better aligned after you've had them in and out.

My son's first gun was also the Firehawk, and he still loves it (and it's still stock).

5 hours ago, S Porteous said:

My son's first gun was also the Firehawk, and he still loves it (and it's still stock).

My lads first rif was a Firehawk.  It still shoots well; a high torque motor is no mis-investment though. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.