Winter is Coming!

TapZxK
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello Operators,

Winter IS coming!

As the colder months are upon us I wanted to find out what clothes do you wear for your outdoor airsoft activities. 

I played at Special Ops Airsoft in Olney this Sunday and it was really cold.

Also, do you carry more batteries with you because of cold weather?  I have heard that LiPo's doesn't like cold temperatures and they lose their charge pretty quick. 

Share your tips and tricks how to stay warm playing airsoft during cold and dark months of the year. any clothe names/brands/links are welcome too. 

For winter I add a thermal top underneath my camo and a water proof jacket, i can add water proof over trousers that will keep me completely dry crawling in snow or rain/wet terrain. I've not noticed my batteries dieing any quicker in the cold but I always carry a spare in my vest . I also bring spare clothes to change into at the end so don't have to drive home cold and wet lol but spare socks are always a good shout incase your's get wet as that is never good. 

I always have spare clothes in the boot, hate travelling home muddy/wet etc anyway. 

Been thinking of bagging some kind of water resistant jacket, like a soft shell thing soon for the colder days and a lightweight rain coat than can be bunched up in a pouch but need some inspiration myself so nice thread :) 

Although to be fair I tend to only play outdoors during the summer and more cqb over winter

I have ordered this Viper Elite Mid-layer Fleece - http://www.military1st.co.uk/vflelmlttm-viper-elite-mid-layer-fleece-titanium.html

and I'm thinking of pairing it with this Viper Tactical Elite Jacket - http://www.military1st.co.uk/bvjktelg-viper-tactical-elite-jacket-green.html

hopefully that should keep me warm in the colder months playing outside.

spare pair of socks is definitely a must have for those cold months. 

I saw the viper stuff, always slightly dubious of the quality as their pouches are hit and miss. I was veering towards Helikon as I have some gear already and like it. 

But my local Blacks is closing down and has a huge sale (that store only) so will stock up on outdoor gear there this week so may grab something there for my outdoor adventures inc the odd skirmish

1 minute ago, Albiscuit said:

I saw the viper stuff, always slightly dubious of the quality as their pouches are hit and miss. I was veering towards Helikon as I have some gear already and like it. 

But my local Blacks is closing down and has a huge sale (that store only) so will stock up on outdoor gear there this week so may grab something there for my outdoor adventures inc the odd skirmish

I can't say anything about their pouches as I don't own any, but I have their trousers and warrior shirt, quality wise I would give them 8 out of 10. I will comment on the quality of the fleece once it arrives tomorrow. :)

• Head Moderator

Thermal socks, cold feet are uncomfortable. Layers, that you can add or remove.

Some more answers from a previous winter topic:

Breathable, wicking base layers are worth having as part of a layer system. It'll pull sweat away from the skin which does a lot to keep you warm if you're exerting yourself in cold weather. Combined with a light base layer fleece under a camo shirt and you'll be warm and comfortable.

Any waterproof layers need to be breathable or you'll be as wet from sweating as from the weather.

A third of your body mass is in your legs, so don't forget long johns.

Sealskinz do excellent waterproof, tactile and breathable gloves. Pricy but good, although I'm sure there is stuff that performs as well but is better value. Good cycle shops will do waterproof, breathable socks as well.

And something warm and waterproof to sit on makes the day better.

Warm drinks whenever possible and don't forget to keep your fluids up.

• Supporters

I'm a fan of Merino wool base layers for any outdoor pursuit.  I hate the feel of scratchy wool, but Merino is silky smooth, wicks, and keeps you warm.  If you do sweat through it, it doesn't stink either. You rarely see a sheep shivering.

On 9/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, Albiscuit said:

Cant go wrong with Helikon stuff, if you find that the protective layer starts top be not so water resistant you can always add to it with some Nikwax

I don't have a lot of experience airsofting in the cold, but in life I've never had army/surplus kit fail me- a good Norwegian and a water-resistant jacket should be fine......then a change of clothes in the car.

More importantly, water proof boots and more socks than you think you'll need- thinking about taking a spare pair- take 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Good solid boots and couple of pairs of socks definitely!

Invest in an underlayer that will wick away the sweat and not let it cool on you as this will only make you feel worse.

If you're going to be wearing combats and camo then most surplus stores will find you a good jacket/trousers and I would recommend running them through the washing machine with something like Techwash etc. Nothing worse than buying a Goretex jacket and finding out its proofing has faded!

If you're running a PMC loadout then any jacket will do! Obviosuly one thing to bear in mind maybe how hot you will still get! Even in rain etc I tend to still wear no waterproofs as I'll dry out from moving around. And I hate sweating under a coat.

BCC

• Supporters

Oh I love playing in winter... Granted, I live in Florida... its a nice cool 18-20 degrees here in January/February - I can wear my same kit and NOT die from heat stroke! yay

• Moderators

i just wear what i normally do most games tbh ,i get warm anyway moving and with the gear i dont wanna strip mid game when over heating

Last time it was cold i only wore a jacket once as i was using the DMR as not running so much, but i only had a t-shirt under and the WAS CPC...so kept some heat in....

Never had issues with batteries either

just warmer socks, glove liners and snood around neck is what i usually add...

Thermal long sleeve, smock instead of shirt, spare top for lunchtime change of base layer, spare socks for the same. Wear same boots - 5.11 tactical boots all year round but just alter the sock thickness for the seasons.

• Supporters

If you want to spend a bit for maximum comfort in cool and damp weather, replace poly/cotton standard uniforms (shirt and trousers) with softshells made of good quality nylon fabrics.  Softshell that actually does what it's supposed to isn't the cheapest though so it can take some searching.  You need to avoid fleece-lined shells despite what your first instinct might say, because that lining will likely just over heat you unless it's really freezing and it takes longer to transfer sweat from inside to out.  The new layers they issue with PCS are decent and it's all available really cheap on eBay; you get far more value from issued stuff sold as surplus vs anything new commercial, in spite what the fancy product descriptions say (mostly lies).  Good thin base layer options, a mid-level fleece/thin puffy layer, softshell, then hardshell/gore-tex in your collection allows you to scale up and down for any situation and bring what you'll need.

I also tend to have a large puffy jacket to throw on when sitting stationary waiting etc.  Layering up and down with your activity level is absolutely key to temperature regulation, that's why all decent military systems include so many different layer pieces.  Unfortunately the British kit doesn't include L5 softshell whereas the American kit does (ECWCS) and you can get good softshells in MC really cheap on the bay if you're american, but obviously shipping it over here rather kills the deal.

Be warm enough when sat still - be slightly too cold when you start physical exertion - it'll balance out once you get going and you'll be in the nice happy medium.

Archived