Advice on buying a GBB Rifle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

OK peeps, I'm looking for recommendations for a GBB rifle

I know my way around GBB pistols, AEG's and Electric recoil rifles but never having owned a GBBR, I haven't had any fiddle time.

I prefer CQB rifles, but am open to larger shooters as well. I prefer the look of something not M4 based, but more importantly I want something reliable and robust.

So, any suggestions, with pics, would be ace.

Cheers in advance

rdb

I have been using a GHK G5 for a couple of years, very reliable gun with good accuracy and fires around 330fps.  the gun is very lightweight as its a polymer body which i think is why the recoil feels so good on it.  i only have the standard model but their is a carbine and dmr kit which can be swapped out to increase the overal barrel length - this requires a few screws to be removed so you can slide of the original barrel, then slip on the kit as one piece.

heres a pic of my current set up - alterations - folding stock replaced with m4 stock and buffer tube (fitting for buffer tube included with rifle), grenade launcher under barrel, torch and tracer attached.  overall length 630mm

IMG_20170830_185442946.thumb.jpg.b94b1ab257ab3c548d4852fbfd87c102.jpg

the gas system is fantastic and hardly seems to be affected by cooldown, redwolf did a video a while ago firing after having the mags in the freezer overnight with little fps loss which sold me on it.  on green gas i tend to get two mags of 38 bb's from a 5 second gas fill.  the mags are pretty heavy at around 700g each loaded.

im just getting into gbbrs, by no means an expert by a long shot but have got a bit of experience now and have done a fair bit of research into the subject that might be helpful. Assuming you have understood the maintenance and limitations of a gbbr choosing the right one to suit what sort of play style you want to use it for will make it more enjoyable.

my first foray was the kc-02 and I couldn't recommend them highly enough, by far the best "budget" gbbr out of the box and has the option of co2 mags for when it gets a bit colder. Got mine second hand, but being such a simple bolt design its pretty robust and doesn't require a lot maintenance. good conversation starter at games, a pretty sexy rifle and has an m4 stock tube so leaves for lots of customisation options to make them unique. Accuracy and range is ok stock, aftermarket buckings aren't great and Ra-tech inner barrels are rarer then rocking horse sh*t nowadays so would definitely recommend the tophatrunner aeg/vsr chamber that lets you use aeg/vsr inner barrels and vsr buckings with great results. Only down sides are the lack of full auto, and the mags are HEAVY! I run three spares on my plate carrier and I wouldn't suggest any more. Length is ok in cqb but this gun really shines as a dmr plAtform in outdoor games where other gbbr often fall a bit short. if your after a reliable,consistent and accurate gbbr with low maintenance then this is a perfect introduction rifle. Also mags are pretty cheap at around £30

i haven't owned one of these but a ghk G5 is another great starter gbbr, they are pretty gas efficient and supposedly the mags are pretty immune to cold and work pretty well in the winter which is a big plus. They are pretty odd looking rifle in my opinion...like a g36/m4/scar hybrid thing but if your after something different it's definitely that and comes in both cqb/carbine variations with aftermarket dmr kit available. Only thing that put me off was the price of mags, around £50 each. Definitely something to consider though as they are very well regarded in terms of build and reliability.

the gun I ended up buying was a we tech 888c (hk416c)

not exactly what you were after so going to broaden this to the we open bolt range.

price wise these guns are good way to get into gbbr, build quality is good on the externals and have no worries about them holding up but the internals are already showing signs of wear. Not a problem as there is quite a few aftermarket brands making higher quality parts for these guns but just be prepared for investing for the long term. Gas efficiency in the open bolt system is pretty good and have never had a mag gas out before shooting all the bbs, also came with a weaker winter spring if you want to up the rof. Mags are pretty light, cheap(ish) and readily available.

anywhoo hope this helps, and whatever you end up getting you will struggle to be disappointed despite their flaws as gbbr are great fun.

ninjacabbage is right about the mag weights, the wife has the 888c as well and the mags are like feathers compared to the G5's.

no problem, i think its a nice gun but there are a lot of nice gas rifles around.  if you haven't seen it here is a link to the redwolf video 

Although I don't have one YET I also recommend the ghk g5, if your after light weight and compact and reliable and even in cold days, it's definitely the rifle for you.. 

Iove my WE Scar L gbbr, it's lovely looking and very realistic, but it does suffer from cool down quite a bit or it's not going to be a gun for the winter, but I'll just shoot the RS stuff more in the winter, but the ghk g5 is for sure the next gbbr on my list.. 

Happy Shooting 

ATB Marc 

8 hours ago, Ninjacabbage said:

Definitely garuntees people gonna call them hits :D

Haha.. :)

paper score targets don't tend to shout much lol. 

Happy Shooting. 

ATB Marc 

Archived