VVD/HPA Guns allowed in UK?

davidj123456
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I brought a VVD DP28 LMG in Russia. It's an AEG (with battery) but the way that the blowback works is VVD. It's an air stock weapon and when the battery runs out (or if it's not plugged in) you can set it to function like a normal VVD weapon which means that you can change the FPS from like 350-600 (the way you like it). Of course the gas runs out slower if you use 350/400 so that's what I use when I play airsoft in Russia. I was wondering if it's legal for me to bring this to the UK and if it's legal formle to use it in airsoft games? In theory it's an AEG with a VVD blowback system and it can function without VVD but realistically you can easily make it 600 FPS. It has an orange cap and one of those plastic things that jams the barrel.

• Root Admin

However, it should be noted that right now about 90% of HPA guns in the UK are able to get to 600fps with about 15 minutes of work and that the same can be said for many AEGs too if you're aiming for above 375fps (the legal limit) and have half an hour to do it. 'Readily convertible' hasn't been properly defined yet as there's no case law.

If you have it tournament locked in some way that requires tools to remove then you'll be taking about the same legal risk as any other airsofter takes when they bring almost any other gun to a game because right now getting your gun to shoot above the limit is the case of changing a spring, switching your gas or - in the case of HPA - turning a dial. There's nothing that makes HPA intrinsically more 'convertible' if a lock is being used, though the upper limit of its muzzle energy may be higher.

Archived