Limited choice on DMR

AgentofEvil
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, just to reassure you that this isn't a "I have £££ which DMR should I get?"

My local site has some strict rules RE DMR's and this is limiting my choice. Must haves - 

Max 450 FPS 0.2g BB's 
Manufactured as safe/semi only not modified to semi.
Good accuracy/consistency out box. Will upgrade only as parts wear out
Prefer based on 7.62mm real steel not 5.56.

Would prefer to avoid M4 based but I concede that with the above conditions there are limits :-)

Only one I have found that meets all the above requirements is the G&G SR25. Is this any good?

Do you have any other suggestions? 

Thanks for your help :-)  

You can build a H&k MSG90 using a G3 as a base, or a Canadian Colt C7CT if you want something M4 based, but out of the box there not a whole lot of choice.

• Supporters

Manufactured as semi-only is your real limitation, not too many of those around.  Apart from that G&G the only thing that springs to mind is the Real Sword SVD that would have decent internals and was actually manufactured in more than double figures, maybe some of the VSS/VAL replicas out there.  I've seen people make nice things out the KJW 10/22 but it's trickier with the inconsistency of propane, if you really want the optimum performance you'd actually be well served by an HPA setup.  WGC actually have stock of the TM PSG-1, but man the externals on those things ain't so great by modern standards and trying to make the internals handle 450 would be hard hard work.

• Root Admin

I'm having a good time with a Mancraft PDiK (HPA) if you'd like to talk about that, but not sure if that's something you're open to. Locked to semi, very consistent, not as expensive as other HPA engines and reasonably simple to drop in as a replacement to a gearbox. Of course the easily changeable fps is great too.

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/ares-sr25-carbine-efcs-dmr-black.htm#.WYWMUEHTWEc

this looks good but a bit more pricey that the g&g. Not sure on quality and the like it's just what google brought up 

• Supporters

What about the Cyma SVD? To be honest I'd be surprised if anything other than the Real Sword SVD shoots well enough at 450 FPS to warrant using it over a half decent 350 FPS AEG without any modifications. Personally I wouldn't recommend a DMR or sniper rifle to anyone who just wants a stock gun as it's rare to find ones that shoot at all well out of the box.

Also 450 FPS is actually on the more lenient side of DMR rules if you look through the sites in the UK, worth considering if you want to take it to other sites.

3 minutes ago, Esoterick said:

What about the Cyma SVD? To be honest I'd be surprised if anything other than the Real Sword SVD shoots well enough at 450 FPS to warrant using it over a half decent 350 FPS AEG without any modifications. Personally I wouldn't recommend a DMR or sniper rifle to anyone who just wants a stock gun as it's rare to find ones that shoot at all well out of the box.

Also 450 FPS is actually on the more lenient side of DMR rules if you look through the sites in the UK, worth considering if you want to take it to other sites.

450 FPS is generous, but it's the "manufactured as semi only" bit that seems to be the biggest problem. One other possibility is something that shoots at 350 FPS but has excellent range. TM 417 EBB for instance. 

• Supporters

Look at the A&K M4. Attached some photos for your info, it's pretty good, yeah not the cheapest, but it is easily 60M out the box with .3s, 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Supporters
48 minutes ago, AgentofEvil said:

450 FPS is generous, but it's the "manufactured as semi only" bit that seems to be the biggest problem. One other possibility is something that shoots at 350 FPS but has excellent range. TM 417 EBB for instance. 

My choice would be something that shoots well at or below 350 like a TM recoil or Krytac, I've also seen Cyma M14s shoot very very well with only the barrel and hop rubber being changed. The other good thing with the Cyma M14s is they are not only very cheap for what you are getting but there's loads of variants to choose from.

It does again depend on if you wanted the option to play at other sites, but DMR rules in the UK suggest a lot of sites don't really want people to use them. I've come across things like 370 FPS but with a MED or a 1 second delay on shots, which is actually slower than I can fire my spring VSR with half decent accuracy.

I can see why DMR's if not properly regulated would be detracting from the fun (basically 450fps AEG's that nefarious players can spam full auto whenever they feel like it) 

Options at the moment are - 

Classic Army m110 asr2

G&G sr25

Or just settle for 350Fps with something that shoots well anyway. TM 417 EBB. 

I'm inclined to go with the TM to be honest.

Thoughts? 

Thanks for everyone's comments and guidance. 

FYI I went for the G&G GR25 SPR. Not my 1st choice but got a really good deal. Looking forward to seeing how it performs out the box and then the inevitable upgrading process. 

Thanks to all for their advice and input. It's really appreciated. :)

I recently got myself a WE ACE VD (SVD GBBR), it's a bit worn out but honestly I'm upgrading it anyway, looking around for an A+ TKO valve in stock at the moment but running a few shots few my chrono it's averaging about 1.6J on .25s so it should be good once I wack in the new barrel and sort out any air leaks to get the consistency up.

Still waiting for the barrel and scope mount to come through but man, I can't stop playing with it it's just gorgeous and once I get this thin running how I want it's going to be an absolute BEAST of a DMR.

then of course there's always the option to HPA tap a few mags :D

As one of a small group of new players without a Sniper or DMR in the group i'll be interested to hear how you get on with the SR25.  It's something we've chatted about after a game where our team in the Skirmish was light on these weapons vs the other team

I'd like to hear how it compares with using the Stiker, distance/accuracy etc.not of course the fire rate

Archived