WW2 loadout?

Joe142
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, so I do ww2 reenacting and was thinking of doing an airsoft loadout the same, I do german reenacting 1st SS to be exact and I'm not sure how people would view me at fields wearing this uniform, just thought I'd get some opinions? For the weapons I would probably just get either an MP40 or K98 if I can find them for a decent price or maybe even a PPSH-41 that I've seen around recently, the uniform itself is the standard field grey uniform with SS collar tabs, LAH shoulder boards, Adolf Hitler cuff title and then just full field kit (A-Frame, gas mask canister etc etc.) so what dyou guys think? Good or bad idea? 

Cheers. 

• Head Moderator

Bad idea.  We had one member who received a torrent of abuse for posting a picture of himself wearing SS officer dress uniform and  had to close his account. Not sure how re-enactors feel about people wearing LAH kit, but definitely not a good plan for a normal skirmish site.  Better off with Wehrmacht or Fallschirmjaeger uniforms.

Airsoft kind of doesn't really have any "rules" about what you can wear, If you want to dress like a Jerry fair enough. I however would avoid wearing any nazi affiliated insignia particularly the SS stuff, It makes sense in a re-enactment scenario for historical accuracy but at a Sunday skirmish it doesn't. The kit/uniform I don't think that would particularly offend anybody, It just might make you more of target :lol:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, just didn't wanna go to an event with all the SS runes etc. and end up offending anyone or being turned away because of the insignia was all XD

Dyou rekon if I just took off the SS runes and possibly the arm eagle and cuff title that would work better? As then I wouldn't be showing any potentially offensive kit it would just be a German uniform 

• Head Moderator

Yes, remove the SS related insignia and it is just a grey uniform.  Have a look at this WW2 airsoft site - https://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/so-you-wanna-do-german/

• Mostly Retired Moderators
2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Yes, remove the SS related insignia and it is just a grey uniform.  Have a look at this WW2 airsoft site - https://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/so-you-wanna-do-german/

What a cool website! I'd love to make an Easy Company set up (probably over done to death I imagine!)

Bookmarked that. Cheers Jedi.

Also, there's a guy and his buddy at EAG Dorking that often will play in German kit and uniform. It's quite cool really in my opinion. 

Maybe just take a change of uniform/outfit in case anyone does get offended?

For some reason that site won't work for me even after a quick google search, I'll have to try on the computer when I'm home, thanks for all the advice guys :), I'll buy a new tunic with no insignia on or maybe change it to the Wehrmacht collar tabs and away I go aha, I'll make sure to post a pic here when it's all done ;)

Personally, I would admire someone who made an effort to be accurate to a unit, even if it was a German unit. I would advise not using patches or insignia, so SS flashes or swastikas for example. 

I see no issue from a personal point of view if you had the uniform, guns and accessories.

11 hours ago, L3wisD said:

Also, there's a guy and his buddy at EAG Dorking that often will play in German kit and uniform. It's quite cool really in my opinion. 

Maybe just take a change of uniform/outfit in case anyone does get offended?

I may have seen them, do they do english kit too? Once saw two guys in WW2 para uniform, even pulled out some antique looking airsoft heavy gun thing from an authentic looking wooden crate, took em both to lug it around the site. They were not too useful in that game :)

Ah I say ask the site first, if the site management dont mind then sod any players who get offended.

• Head Moderator
25 minutes ago, Joe142 said:

For some reason that site won't work for me even after a quick google search, I'll have to try on the computer when I'm home

You should just be able to click on the link (on PC) and it will open.  I recommend that you do a search of the forum, 3 character minimum length, because there is information about German kit and useful WW2 links.

Yeah ask the site first.

I was talking to a site manager a few months ago about this and he came to the conclusion he'd prevent German WW2 uniforms for standard days.

The site already had some PR issues with locals and after one game day, FB pics with an ocean of MTP broken up by a dude who stood out for his WW2 German dress... He knew external parties wouldn't understand, or even care, if Nazi/SS insignia was worn or not, the guy was making a statement that could be used against the site.

this is such a touchy subject, i am totally biting my tongue about this one haha...

Well if prince Harry can't get away with nazi uniforms...... just out of curiosity how big is the ww2 airsoft side of things? Untill i saw this post I didn't think somthing like that existed

• Supporters
On 20/07/2017 at 7:46 PM, Joe142 said:

Dyou rekon if I just took off the SS runes and possibly the arm eagle and cuff title that would work better? As then I wouldn't be showing any potentially offensive kit it would just be a German uniform 

Something to bear in mind is the record of the unit that the uniform is of. A little research goes a long way. 

Personally I'd say that if you're doing a proper ww2 sim game and there's a while axis Vs allies scenario then go for it as you'll be amongst like minded people, at a standard skirmish then you are almost guaranteed to offend someone. 

Archived