First Gun Query

elys1ur
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening all,

Most likely you have all had this question before, "What gun should I buy first, I have this budget"

However, I have a pretty good idea. I managed to try a Krytac Trident MK2 CRB, loved it, no mods etc, I have seen reviews on youtube etc, but would like to know what real players first hand experiences are like, and what its like to use in the UK, maintenance, repairs & customer service.

My budget is about £900, saved for a while and will save for longer if this is not enough. I am a firm believer in quality, I don't want to buy something twice because its worn out, or fallen to bits.

I like the idea of the dual optics, such as the ACOG's with the Holo-Dot style sight on it.

I am torn between the idea of a Foregrip or an Angled Grip.

A flash light/laser combo similar to the PEQ style systems would be ideal.

Also, magazines confuse the hell out of me, how can some M4 styles mags work, and some don't. I can't seem to find Krytac Specific Mags. I don't like hi caps, I get an added sense of enjoyment from having to "Reload" but i just want something that works, preferably all the same.

Ultimately, i want a high quality AEG, M4 style, With some type of foregrip, flashlight/laser combo, and a dual optic, that is consistently close to 350fps, whilst being adjustable downwards or upwards to compensate for environmental conditions.

Maintenance is of no issue, I am from a technical background, I can work my way round this kit and installing upgrades if i have to.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated, and thanks in advance, and apologies for sounding like a self righteous arsehole :(

Mark,

• Supporters

All I can say is everyone who has a krytac loves it, if you search Krytac into the search function on the forums there are tonnes of information around them, I did hear something about an issue with one model, can't remember if it was Mk1 or Mk2. 

I havent had or used one but I trust some of the people on this forums opinion, and I am tempted to get one from that. 

You seem to know exactly what you want, I don't know why your asking us for advice, looks like I should be asking you!

Ask @PT247 he loves his and I have been on the receiving end of his little beast and it is phenomenal.

I over think stuff to much, and a result spend too much time on the interwebs, getting my head in a buggers muddle. My biggest concern would be buying anything that's incompatible with the rails etc.

I have already had one similar issue with a FAST helmet and gopro mount, which didn't fit due to tolerances.

Also, batteries... what the hell... volts are volts surely... why not stick to the batteries included and just carry spares of the same type?

• Supporters

It's not a problem fella, what you need to do is find out exactly what rail is on the Krytac (20mm RIS is most common) and then make sure any parts your looking for are 20mm compatible. 

I believe its a Key mod rail on the hand guard... will have a look :)

I feel like my lack of understanding is karma for years of paintball

Beware hanging to much stuff off your gun before you even start. I watched my son do exactly that and by lunchtime on his first skirmish he was talking it all off again! The weight soon adds up and the gun can quickly become cumbersome.

A Decent torch with a remote pressure switch can be useful for both CQB indoor games and outdoor, particularly if you're entering a room from bright sunlight, but the laser.. Not so much. Airsoft rated lasers are less than 1mw, and although it offers an aim dot in dark environments there's no area illumination so you've got no idea if its actually on a target or not.

Magnified optics are often more of a hindrance than a help. They are unnecessary at Airsoft ranges where you want to maintain the widest field of view possible. A decent red dot or holo sight is more than accurate enough at the maximum range you'll be able to shoot. In fact, there's nothing wrong with open sights, but we all like a bit of bling!

Foregrips are an acquired taste. Try a few different ones on other people's guns. Plus, they're cheap enough so consider having a couple to suit woodland or CQB.

Most mid cap mags should work fine in the Krytac. Get busy with the search function and you should find some advice on which ones people have used without issues.

Guest PT247

Buy a Krytac, do not "upgrade" it, don't bolt unnecessary attachments on it, just a decent RDS is all it needs. On UK fps limits stick with a 7.4v LiPo to avoid the overspin issue some folk have with the Krytac guns. I run a Fat mag on my PDW, means I don't need to carry anything else with me.

-PAXP-deijE.gif-PAXP-deijE.gif17620131_10154341941346820_8721796146614

Minor hi-jack. PT would you mind measuring the thickness of that fat mag? Is that one of the Ares ones?

Pretty much that...

Buy what you feel you want after using it. I have spend hundreds on gun bling only to have most of it sitting in a drawer in the garage due to it ending up in the way, not looking right or being incompatible. That being said some well chosen accessories can make a crappy internal gun at least look nice!

Your not trying to go overboard, a peq/light would be fine in CQB in fact we would all recommend a light of some sort for CQB and a some sort of dot up top is not needed but useful.

Grips are a personal taste, just put a really nice lightweight machine milled fore grip on my Krytac SPR but do not like the feel of a normal grip as the gun is longer and heavier than im used to so will swap out for a angled grip.

Trouble is you only know these things while playing..

So to repeat myself get out there and use it then slowly bolt things on is my advice!

I'm with the whole don't overload the gun thing. Even without all that you'll soon find your arm tires carrying it around. Get a sling, trust me your inner elbow muscles will thank you.

With mags it can be majorly frustrating. I don't get how huge a scope for failure they are either. My brother's Nuprol Delta is super fussy. Most mags fall out without hitting the mag release. The metal cased mags he's managed to bend the retaining hole to help, but not ideal. So he bought Nuprol mags for his Nuprol gun.... they are even worse. Had to add soft side of velcro to the side of the mag to make it stay in the gun!!!

The only ones that worked 100% so far are my VFC QRS mags.

Guest PT247
1 hour ago, Hangtight said:

Minor hi-jack. PT would you mind measuring the thickness of that fat mag? Is that one of the Ares ones?

at the base it is 44mm ish wide and at the top it is roughly 22mm although I don't have an accurate ruler handy. I put a bit of fluffy side velcro on the back seam at the top to aid fitment and feeding. It is a SOCOM GEAR FAT Mag

Thanks. I was wondering if I could squeeze one next to a ready mag. Thought, but it might just go.

Guest PT247
14 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Thanks. I was wondering if I could squeeze one next to a ready mag. Thought, but it might just go.

WOWZERS, how many BBs do you need??? :D

The ready mag holds the chugging great lipo that runs the 40rps DSG pistol it's attached to. Hence the need for a FAT mag. :D

Hey guys & girls,

Thanks for the advice, its highly appreciated.

I looked at picking up some NUPROL mags from patrolbase, the ones that can be switched from 30 round to mid cap.

Once the krytac is in stock, think I will play a few games with it, not touch the internals (I like the fact its epic out of the box) and just try to find a sight/sling for it. Maybe an Eotech style sight, at least I would be able to use that across a multitude of guns over time.

I saw that there were a load of single point hanging slings out there, but i struggled to find anything more substantial, single point of failure worries me.

2 hours ago, elys1ur said:

I saw that there were a load of single point hanging slings out there, but i struggled to find anything more substantial, single point of failure worries me.

I run quite a rare gun and so I was also worried when it came to slings as I didn't want it to fail and have my gun crash down onto the floor.

As your budget is quite large, I'd suggest that you buy a sling designed for use on real guns. Specifically, I'd advise you take a look at either the Magpul MS1, MS2 or MS3 sling - there are a few places in the UK that stock them. I believe they have two versions: padded and unpadded. Select whichever you think would best suit you. The padded ones are slightly more expensive but I find that the unpadded one is perfectly fine  (I run a plate carrier so I didn't need a padded one as the sling sits over the carrier).

MS1 is the cheapest whereas MS3 is the most expensive. I run the MS1 with a Magpul Paraclip.

Awesome, will be looking at slings shortly then,

• Supporters
8 hours ago, elys1ur said:

Best advice there would be don't buy an "airsoft sling" then. Get a proper one from Magpul, Vickers, Ferro Concepts etc. Take a look on places like www.tactical-kit.co.uk or www.uktactical.co.uk rather than airsoft sites and be prepared to pay significantly more!

No worries, think i stumbled across UK tactical earlier today, and i really like the look of the Magpul gear.

Webbing/Belts is my next one, thinking Molle Gear, nothing over the top, don't particularly want a full plate carrier (Guess you wouldn't always notice hits, and i really don't want to get into that), rather webbing/belt system, with a drop bag on the back if its possible for dead mags, and mag pouches on the front left and right, eventually to tie in with a drop leg rig, for a holster on leg, and pistol mags on the other leg if that's even possible,

Also thanks guys & girls, you have all been really helpful, hugely appreciated :)

Guest PT247

I've generally found dropleg holsters to be a pain, if running a battlebelt then just stick a holster on that. :-)

Personally, I always have a vertical grip. Slings are tricky and it takes time to find one right for you.

• Supporters
19 hours ago, elys1ur said:

No worries, think i stumbled across UK tactical earlier today, and i really like the look of the Magpul gear.

Webbing/Belts is my next one, thinking Molle Gear, nothing over the top, don't particularly want a full plate carrier (Guess you wouldn't always notice hits, and i really don't want to get into that), rather webbing/belt system, with a drop bag on the back if its possible for dead mags, and mag pouches on the front left and right, eventually to tie in with a drop leg rig, for a holster on leg, and pistol mags on the other leg if that's even possible,

Again, UK Tactical. Look at the Warrior 901 rigs on there. Or any good old British airborne belt and yoke stuff, loads of that about in surplus stores.

Reviving couple of day old threads again, what has become of me...

On a serious note, I know I said I was looking at the Krytac Trident line of weapons, has anyone had any run ins with the TM HK416 Devgru or standard versions?

Mark,

Archived