Make sure you buy a red dot protector

warlord
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

One day, no protector, lesson learned  :D

19956871_10209572025713766_138693978385993345_o.thumb.jpg.a0d8081684034e595ee5ef68cfcd5664.jpg

Reminds me I need a smaller pistol one...

I spent ages looking (and waiting for the delivery) of one for my rifle, only to install it and realise both my sights have built in protectors :mellow:

• Head Moderator

You do learn from these mistakes.  Luckily they are cheap replaceable items.  I had a perspex protector shot out and had to replace that, but it did deflect the BBs enough to only lightly chip the lens. 

• Moderators

i have them mounted on my toy Eotechs....for the sake of a few quid....ok more like £10....but it protects the lens....

i haven't on the DMR scope but i tend to be that little further away, but i guess the lens covers stay on which helps

3 hours ago, djben9 said:

i have them mounted on my toy Eotechs....for the sake of a few quid....ok more like £10....but it protects the lens....

i haven't on the DMR scope but i tend to be that little further away, but i guess the lens covers stay on which helps

I went with the mentality, ah well it's a £25 red dot and costs £9 for the protector. 36% of the value of the red dot... so what are the chances? :D Now I know.

yea i didnt think this was such an issue then someone next to me had their holo shot out so went and bought one after the game. for the price id rather have and not need then need and not have. id imagine you can have replacement sheilds made by somewhere for not too much money

BLOOMING  heck, unlucky mate, thats it the protector is never coming off my eotech now..

Happy Shooting.

ATB, Marc..

17 minutes ago, witchcraft58a said:

Make your own with perspex and a Dremel, very satisfying!

I bought one for less than a tenner and figure I can easily make the shields as necessary. But the RIS mounting, well I'm not making one of those :)

Fair enough, I didn't like the 'look' of them on my rifles so made a couple to fit infront of the lens out of 5mm perspex.... Nothing is getting through that!  

(But then again I do like Dremeling stuff....)

• Root Admin

Just remember that if you make your own, put an o-ring between it and the real one if possible or all that energy will find its way onto the bit of glass/plastic you want to protect anyway.

I'm with you though: Those RIS things are beyond ugly and should be avoided. Cutting your own from 4/5mm Lexan is ezpz.

Archived