Modding a JG G36

TheEdge
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I've recently got into airsoft big time and am working on a Bundeswehr loadout, so I need the ubiquitous full size G36, I also want a bit of practice on a cheaper AEG for modifying before I go anywhere near my Evo with a screwdriver! I've bought a JG G36K. Ignoring the fact I've made an idiot of myself and missed the ready made full size G36 that JG do I've got a few questions.

I've found the right style stock, a 6 hole hand guard, bipod and long external barrel. Obviously the K has a fairly short internal barrel (350mm), where the full size JG version has a 490mm barrel and some sites reckon it needs a 495mm barrel. The closest I can find is a 455mm one or a 506mm one. Various places suggest the 506mm one will need modification done to the flash hider to fit. Will a 455mm one be suitable or are too many/all the pellets going to hit the extra length of the external barrel? Or can I happily leave the 350mm barrel in?

I'm after a carry handle with integrated scope. Does anyone have an experience of them as some seem to be absolute tosh, any recommendations?

And finally, are there any other upgrades I could install on said G36 that people would recommend?

Cheers :)

• Supporters

The barrel length is fine. It makes zero difference to the range or accuracy.

The BB won't hit the outer barrel. Actually, when JG came out with the current design G36s (the ones with the T hopup) all versions had the C length inner barrel. Even the long one.

The integrated scope is very small to use conveniently. The quality of it is pretty good. I once switched it for the real steel version, and didn't notice any real difference. For airsoft ranges it's not very useable. A red dot is way better.

If it shoots good, don't upgrade it. Clean it with alcohol, use heavy weight BBs, set the hopup and the sight properly and it will shoot good.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've had a few games with the G36 in question and it shoots less than good. Even with the hop turned right up the range is mediocre at best and with 0.25 it only manages a poultry ~270FPS. So it seems pleasingly like a brilliant test bed for upgrades. A friend has suggested hop up and barrel is a good place to start.

A trip to Google suggests JG use a slightly odd hop up design that seemingly opens a minefield of failure when picking after market ones. So where should I be looking? And then this barrel length issue pops up again. Does anyone know if a 506mm barrel will remain safely inside the flash hider of a full size G36?

Look at improving the air seal first, i.e. install a nozzle with an O-Ring and test the cylinder for compression. Poor FPS usually results in poor air seal. Remember that it's just an air pump. So good air seal and silicone lube is detrimental.

Once you have definitely sorted the air seal, try stepping up the spring rating, I bought a selection to experiment with to find a good spring that's within legal limits and shoots good, i.e. purchase M90, M95, M100 etc. This may sound expensive, but a particular spring rating can have different FPS from one AEG to another.

I would suggest purchasing a set of digital calipers and using the depth prong to measure the difference in length from your original inner barrel to the end of the outer. The full size G36 flash hider can accommodate just over 5mm of extra barrel protruding. I had same scenario when I was selecting a new barrel for my G36K (Ares).

Other mods I can suggest is just give your gearbox a really good shim job and install a PDI W hold bucking or an HSA R Hop if you have the funds.

I hope this helps 

Without sounding thankless I'm going to need that in English to start with. :lol:

At this point I'd have no idea where to even start looking for those parts within my gun, or how to test the cylinder compression. But they do sound like sensible ideas. So I'll investigate that. 

I think you need to start getting familiar with the parts inside your AEG and understand how they work.

What don't you understand from my last post if you don't mind me asking?

There's plenty of tutorial vids on YouTube and website literature that you can learn from.

Getting familiar is the intention, I bought this cheap G36 as something to learn on before trying to fit the various mods I'd love to fit to my Scorpion. 

In fairness I have been sat watching a few videos between posts and now your suggestion does make a lot more sense. I guess I just need to get that gun in pieces. So that bit first then, thanks :)

Archived