HPA users Nylon tubing and push-fit fittings

Prisce
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So I work with compressed air, and have access to a lot of good quality nylon tubing and push fit fittings to run HPA systems.

I know that the tubing and fittings are 6mm OD, if anyone can provide me info on what cost you guys can get these bits and bobs for and what length of tubing you use, I might possibly be able to save you fortunes on future purchases.

Also, what's the max pressure you can use legally? Most of our equipment is 10bar/150psi rated, do you guys go higher? 

I know nothing about HPA guns apart from what I have heard in the safe zone, so if you can provide me with info I can hopefully help save y'all a lot of money.

• Root Admin

Really depends but I'm not 100% sure if there's a massive market for it given how few of these fittings people typically use. The pressure doesn't factor into the legal bit, but what speed the BB comes out of the muzzle is. Some solenoid HPA systems (i.e. electro-pneumatic) will run at as low as 40-50psi (e.g. Wolverine, Polarstar etc.), but some fully pneumatic systems like a GBBR-to-HPA magazine tap or Daytona Gun will run much higher (at around 120psi). I've not known anyone to run a sustainable setup that exceeds around 130psi.

The actual bits one would want to buy are usually quite affordable (with some exceptions). I've never spent more than £3 on a standard fitting: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NPT-Pneumatic-Push-In-Fittings-for-Air-Water-Hose-Tube-ALL-SIZES-AVAILABLE-/272732115526?var=&hash=item3f8019d246:m:mKFd6UHvcTTXC_lC3sjtjLA

For the vast majority of people, they'll never use any push fittings because these days it's standard procedure to use an IGL (integrated grip line) that directly plugs into the engine itself. For others, they might buy a single 6mm to male quick disconnect for around £6, but very, very rarely will anyone need to spend more than that on fittings for a gun because there's only one way the air gets in and then the rest is handled by the engine itself. There's no advanced plumbing or anything.

The exception would be the Mancraft M.A.S.S (basically an air stock) that uses about 3 such fittings, but again these come in at around £5 a piece and I believe two of them are included. Whilst they're metal fittings that would typically be more pricey, they would appear to be cheaper through Mancraft than the metal fittings available in the UK. The only other example I can think of where someone might use a fitting is for a GBBR-to-HPA magazine tap, which is a 1/8NPT to male quick disconnect usually. Again, not more than £5 from eBay but you might be buying 3-4 at a time.

In short: Not sure if it's worth your time I'm afraid. HPA has been refined a lot in airsoft in the past 5 years and manufacturers really don't want buyers worrying about push fittings and the like, and in the case of some of the more complex systems like Daytona Gun there are off-the-shelf airsoft-specific solutions and bear in mind these are guns that cost at least £600 to build (usually around £800-1000 when all is said and done) so a few pounds ontop of that purchase just doesn't factor in :(

• Supporters

Thanks for that Proff, I just thought I'd put it out there, work keep it in stock, so if anyone ever is in desperate need of something, just drop me a PM, might save you a few pennies and will probably have at least 1 for you!

Those fittings are exactly what we have. And tubing we can get any length, we keep it in 30m rolls.

Guest PT247

when I was messing with a GHK G5 and HPA tapped mags I was getting 350fps on one config at 60psi, on another I was needing 160+ psi so it will vary on the set up required. Generally though macro/micro lines running upto 150psi should be plenty.

• Root Admin

You're right. I do seem to remember the forged push fittings going up to 200psi and tend to cost around the same. I certainly don't know of any lines that go beyond 200psi (apart from those coiled ones). I assume your mag taps were metal anyway though?

Guest PT247

yup, 1/8th NPT but did run macro/micro lines from the taps which held fine, it was the gun the exploded (when my regulator fell off the ends of the threads at around 170psi+)

• Supporters
11 hours ago, proffrink said:

Well, do you do 6mm quick disconnects? :)

I might be in the market for a couple so feel free to PM me if you can get your hands on some.

Proff, have you got one of these you could  possibly send me? Need to get the exact profiling of the tail so it fits perfectly into the body, the price we can get it for is almost identical to the price they are offering, what carriage/charges do you have to pay to get that shipped over here?

An HPA system will typically run from a 3000psi air cylinder, regulated out at between 450psi & 850psi, and prior to feeding into an airsoft gun regulated down again to probably < 150psi

Hoses and fittings should operate at those pressures but be rated in excess of those pressures.   

Im not familiar with HPA for airsoft but in paintball would expect an external 'remote line' connected to the cylinder operating at up to 850psi to be rated at least 3000psi and preferably >4500psi, and to be appropriately rugged to survive being outside at the risk of getting snagged

I would still expect an internal hose operating in the region of 100/200psi to be rated at 300+ psi - assuming it is safe from being battered from external influences and only has to be air safe

For air fittings not commonly available in the uk I'd recommend Palmers Pursuit to ensure standards are sufficient for high pressure air systems

https://palmerspursuit.com/

But don't just assume fittings aren't available, call your preferred uk airsoft retailer or paintball retailers even if items aren't available

Main dealers and tech support locations probably stock the parts, or can source the properly rated parts

• Root Admin

Most in-line regs used for airsoft put out 50 to 200psi depending on model. Like you say, SLP tank regulators will put out about 300psi and normal regs will do up to 900. However, no one uses an unregulated flow except for the Tippmann M4 that's internally flow restricted. So in all cases but that the line is rated for no more than 200psi. AFAIK, the cross-over is there but most paintball stuff is flow restricted or internally regulated because most markers have the ASA on the marker itself. I know there are exceptions to this though.

This is more regarding sub-200psi stuff but as we've established there's just not much market for it in the UK given how many systems include all the bits and the proliferation of things like IGLs that remove any guesswork. Maybe the DG community would be interested but there are so few people buying them and they just aren't going to be bothered about spending an extra few quid on such an expensive build, plus there are branded solutions for DG at this point too.

5 hours ago, Prisce said:

Proff, have you got one of these you could  possibly send me? Need to get the exact profiling of the tail so it fits perfectly into the body, the price we can get it for is almost identical to the price they are offering, what carriage/charges do you have to pay to get that shipped over here?

I don't right now, but I'm yet to know whether this is something I need anyway, and even if I did I think I'm an exception rather than the rule as 95% of the systems in airsoft are electric solenoid so come with all the bits needed.

• Supporters

Ok, that's fine mate, just to put it out there this wasn't an idea of mine to make a business, this is just to help thy fellow airsofters out. 

We get next day delivery from the manufacturers, so would be able to send it out to anyone in 2 days of order.

If anyone needs anything pressure related that isn't specific for HPA guns, just send me a message, I'll ask my stores manager and let you know ASAP. 

Archived