Which Charger?? Tokyo Marui Colt M16 A2 (Hop Up version) - 1300mAh 8.4v NiCd Large Tamiya

SamW
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

I searched the forums and unfortunately couldn't find an answer to my problem. A 5 hour search on google beforehand also made me no closer to solving the issue, perhaps I am being too cautious of making the wrong purchase.. any help will be very much appreciated.

I am a completely new to airsoft and know nothing about the batteries/chargers included - I committed to buying one years back after speaking to a cousin that used to go airsofting, but he lived near London and I soon realised there was no where close enough to me to go..so my colt has sat wasting away for years. Worst of all, its from Japan and the charger was for an american plug socket. 

I finally decided to commit again and am looking to purchase a charger for my airsoft that will work in the UK, details as follows:

Gun:          Tokyo Marui Colt M16 A2 - Hop Up version

Battery:     1300mAh 8.4v NiCd Large Tamiya

(The rest of the specs are in japanese so unfortunately I know no more, its also very difficult to find the exact model/kit online).

This is the charger that came with the rifle, http://www.asiaairsoft.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=8735&currency=GBP

Hopefully that helps, if you need any more information let me know and I'll see what I can gather. 

(Attached a few images incase they help).

After reading some previous posts, I am aware I will probably be needing a service on it since its been out of action for so long, where would you guys recommend? I live near Rochdale (between Leeds and Manchester), ideally somewhere close to a train station, if possible. Any recommendations on where is good to actually use this bad boy would also be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Sam

Colt M16 A2 TM (1).jpg

Colt M16 A2 TM (2).jpg

Colt_M16_A2_TM_(3).jpg

https://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/en/lipro-balance-charger-imax-b6.html

I've never bought off the company, so I don't know what their service is like, but that's the charger I use for all different types of batteries. Does the job well, and won't need changing if you stick with the hobby and move to more sophisticated batteries.

There are cheaper available, but the Imax is good value for money.

1 hour ago, Hangtight said:

https://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/en/lipro-balance-charger-imax-b6.html

I've never bought off the company, so I don't know what their service is like, but that's the charger I use for all different types of batteries. Does the job well, and won't need changing if you stick with the hobby and move to more sophisticated batteries.

There are cheaper available, but the Imax is good value for money.

Thanks for the advice Hangtight! Will this definitely work with the NiCd battery I have?

I notice that its sold out on the link above, is it likely to come back into stock? or do you know where else I could purchase that model if not?

There is a more expensive version on amazon, https://www.amazon.co.uk/HOBBYTIGER-Digital-Battery-Balance-Charger/dp/B01BBJKB8Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1499293858&sr=8-2&keywords=Balance+Charger+Imax+B6 - this one could be a worth while investment if I do stick with it, but a lot for a beginner purchase obviously.

After reading about LiPo batteries, its clear that these are a much better alternative to the outdated NiCd batteries in my gun. Are you able to advise if i'd be able to replace my guns batteries for LiPo batteries, if so, would I need specific ones to fit? (thinking long term if after trying out airsoft I decide to commit).

Thanks again,

Sam

That charger will work with all types of batteries. Beware of fakes though. Genuine Imax chargers should have a holographic sticker from the manufacturer.

As long as you buy a charger from a reputable store, at least you have some comeback.

For example...

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/skyrc-s60-ac-balance-charger-discharger/

Lipos make a big difference to your Airsoft experience. A simple change to 7.4v will improve trigger response and rate of fire. With the full stock on your gun you've got plenty of room to put a battery that'll last all day and then some, providing it is rear wired. If it isn't then any decent tech will be able to change the battery location. While they're at it get good quality 16awg low resistance wire, low resistance Deans connectors and a basic Mosfet fitted. This will improve performance and will be an excellent foundation for any further upgrades.

The TM is an excellent gun. Hope you get it all running smoothly. :)

21 hours ago, Hangtight said:

That charger will work with all types of batteries. Beware of fakes though. Genuine Imax chargers should have a holographic sticker from the manufacturer.

As long as you buy a charger from a reputable store, at least you have some comeback.

For example...

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/skyrc-s60-ac-balance-charger-discharger/

Lipos make a big difference to your Airsoft experience. A simple change to 7.4v will improve trigger response and rate of fire. With the full stock on your gun you've got plenty of room to put a battery that'll last all day and then some, providing it is rear wired. If it isn't then any decent tech will be able to change the battery location. While they're at it get good quality 16awg low resistance wire, low resistance Deans connectors and a basic Mosfet fitted. This will improve performance and will be an excellent foundation for any further upgrades.

The TM is an excellent gun. Hope you get it all running smoothly. :)

You are a legend my friend, couldn't have asked for better advice. I will heed this information and run with it. 

Much appreciated,

Sam

Hello hello,

So..there have been a few updates. I couldn't find the charger you recommended as in was out of stock in next to every reliable online store I know of. I decided to shell out on the B6AC V2. 

I was worried my (never charged, 8yr old) NiCd battery was probably done for, so I did a bit of research, and for £20 I got a cheeky little vP Li-Po, 2600mAh, 7.4v, 25c, 16Wh (didn't know they were so reasonably priced). 

Now, I come back with a new issue, hoping for some more guidance. My airsoft connection requires a tamiya (large), which the component shop gladly provided. However, it seems that the charger I bought, although accompanied by a barrage of cables (that I am sure I will never need), does not seem to be accompanied by the one cable adapter that I do need! 

Photo attached.

Any advice will be much appreciated! Let me know if any more info/photos are needed.

Thanks,

Sam

IMG_8573.JPG

image.jpg

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/custom-adapter-lead.html

One of these with a male Tamiya one end, and a female Deans the other. Or just change your battery and gun other to either Deans or XT60. it looks like you've got a male /female pair of both types there. Spot of soldering and some heatshrink and you're golden.

On 11/07/2017 at 11:32 PM, Hangtight said:

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/custom-adapter-lead.html

One of these with a male Tamiya one end, and a female Deans the other. Or just change your battery and gun other to either Deans or XT60. it looks like you've got a male /female pair of both types there. Spot of soldering and some heatshrink and you're golden.

Thanks again Hangtight.

Unfortunately I don't have a soldering kit, always used to borrow my old uni housemates! So I think I'll just go for the connector you linked! not too expensive.

What is the JST-XH adapter attached to my battery? The details within the battery I purchased state this, "The battery is complete with a balancing lead with a 3 pin JST-XH connector, probably the most common type around & fully compatible with our lipo chargers". By balance lead, what exactly does it mean? I assume I can still use the 'balance' charge setting on my charger if I charge via the tamiya connector..?

I notice on the other post you mention balance charging using both connectors on the battery, and this is better for the battery in the long term. Is there a cable combo can I buy to achieve this?

If you look on the side of your charger you'll find a selection of JST sockets. Once the battery is plugged into the appropriate one, it'll allow the charger to monitor the voltages of the individual cells in the battery. It can then tailor the charge going to each cell so they all end up at the same voltage and charge level.

On the charger menu you'll find options for a simple charge, or for a balance charge. Choose the option you want and ensure the charging voltage is set for 1C. This is dependent on the capacity of the battery. A 1C rate is the amount of current the battery can deliver so it lasts an hour, so for example your 2600mah battery can supply 2600mA (2.6A) for an hour. So your recharge current will be 2.6A.

On 14/07/2017 at 5:52 AM, Hangtight said:

If you look on the side of your charger you'll find a selection of JST sockets. Once the battery is plugged into the appropriate one, it'll allow the charger to monitor the voltages of the individual cells in the battery. It can then tailor the charge going to each cell so they all end up at the same voltage and charge level.

On the charger menu you'll find options for a simple charge, or for a balance charge. Choose the option you want and ensure the charging voltage is set for 1C. This is dependent on the capacity of the battery. A 1C rate is the amount of current the battery can deliver so it lasts an hour, so for example your 2600mah battery can supply 2600mA (2.6A) for an hour. So your recharge current will be 2.6A.

Thanks Hangtight

why not use the leads with the dean to crocodile clips on plug the two deans in to each other and use the crocodile clip in to the battery ???

Archived