Making a Maska-1sch inspired fast helmet add-on.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, ever since I've started playing airsoft, I've always imagined what it would be like to have metal armour! I've also always loved the design of the maska-1sch with the small slit for vision. I've decided that I've set out to make my own as I am not willing to pay £150+ for a whim. So I found a couple things on amazon that could be helpful: 

TG-ZSJ07-CL3-1-600x600.jpg

Now as soon as I came across the OneTigris face shield, I knew I'd found what I needed. It simply attaches onto the fast helmet rails. Sure, this doesn't suit my play style as a sniper but it could be used for closer combat and when it's up it can keep my ghillie out of my face! And don't forget you can always just take it off!

My plan is to remove the poly carbonate and replace it with a custom cut sheet of steel, however i believe it to be held in with rivets. I will have to drill these out and replace them with bolts. This could also allow me to change between the maska and the face shield. It should be interesting and I will be updating this as I progress! Thanks guys.

• Moderators

Just remember to cover up below as bb's can still travel up and catch you in the eye....:)

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, djben9 said:

Just remember to cover up below as bb's can still travel up and catch you in the eye....:)

I would say that nobody is that foolish, not to wear eye-pro underneath... but then we are taliking about airsofters so anything is possible :o

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

I would say that nobody is that foolish, not to wear eye-pro underneath... but then we are taliking about airsofters so anything is possible :o

haha, indeed! ;)

On 2017-6-21 at 3:52 PM, djben9 said:

haha, indeed! ;)

Don't worry guys haha, I intend to wear full face protection underneath, this project is mainly for looks and I can't wait to hear it getting shot! The stuff hasn't arrived yet but it should soon! I'll get back to you when it does.

Hey guys! So all my stuff has arrived and I can finally get started with it. Attached is a photo of my fast helmet with the face shield attached. I have drilled out the rivets using a dremel tool and replaced them with bolts. Don't worry, I am planning on cutting them down!

14987554315141839452200.jpg

The second step was to create a template. I am still working on this as I have only images for reference. Here is a picture of a very rushed template! This is definitely not my final as I believe it to be much too long.

1498755516459899307738.jpg

Now I just need to transfer the template onto the sheet steel. I do this by using small magnets to hold the paper down while I trace it with a Sharpie. I have already done this but I was unhappy with the shape of the bottom as it was too square. Looking at reference photos, there is a taper to the jaw. This modification can be seen in the photo attached.

1498756079918940300991.jpg

Another thing to take into consideration is the material you use and how thick it is. The steel I am using is 1mm thick. At first I was sceptical about the integrity of this steel against high powered airsoft rifles. I was swiftly proven wrong when a 450 fps sniper didn't even scratch it. I'd even go as far to say 1mm is overkill. If you make such an item out of plastic, ensure that it is polycarbonate and at least 3mm thick. You would need to use heat to bend the plastic too, or you could modify and paint the already existing shield. Another thing that you need to think of is how you can cut your material. If you have a band saw this task would be simple enough, however this is my problem. I am not sure I have the means to cut such a sheet of steel! I will update when I've solved this problem.

Archived