The joys of importing

warlord
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So my VFC Avalon arrived from Poland, no problems. UKARA on the delivery sticker. But no one in Europe had stock of the VFC QRS mags, so I ordered from Red Wolf USA. They shipped from Hong Kong :D

The UPS tracking notification system looks like a right challenge.From Hong Kong, Castle Donnington, Chek Lap Kok, Dubai, Kolen, Castle Donnington (again) Tamworth, Castle Donnington (again!)

Whilst it was in Tamworth I got a letter there were customs charges to pay. So I called them up... not just customs fees. Firearm exemption form with UKARA details, reasons for importing, description of goods that were being imported!!!

I order 5 mags, an Odin and BB's. I guess the BB's weren't enough of a clue. So all that for goods that aren't a RIF. The add £43 in duty and handling :( and the goods still aren't delivered yet.

Think I'll stick to European orders in future.

36 minutes ago, proffrink said:

You realise you have to pay VAT on any imports over £12, right? Handling fee is another £8-12.

Don't worry, it'll all be so much better if we have to pay VAT on EU imports too.

No problem paying the 20% VAT. But on £105 to pay £43 is a bit steep. I'll have to wait on the delivery then sort out claiming something back as you're only supposed to pay customs duty on over £135. So take of the £12 handling fee, £31 isn't right for the value of the goods.

Thankfully there is a mechanism to resolve these issues, but absolutely no point arguing with UPS over it as they just ship it.

As to the VAT on European goods post brexit, well it may not be all that bad. After all they country of origin won't be adding tax to export it. So you'll only be paying UK import VAT.

I'm more concerned about the handling process that seems to have been a right game. Getting the RIF from Poland there was nothing more than giving my ukara to the store and they put it on the box. Every line of the invoice say "Accessory for Airsoft Toys" so I guess that word just triggered customs to act.

At a quick calculation, please alter if necessary.

5 X VFC midcaps = $72.25 (based on the $17 midcaps, if you bought the $22 ones then of course total will be higher)

1 X Odin Speedloader = $39.99

1 X BB's = $10 (estimated as i don't know which ones you purchased)

Delivery to UK $45.71

Total Payable = $167.95

Using Google Dollars to Pound conversion calculator;

Total Payable = £131.11 (estimated of course as Google is not always upto date, UK Customs    change currency conversion regularly, sometimes every hour)

20% VAT = £26

Handling Charge = £12

Total Extra = £38

Looks to be about right to be honest.

Could be right, but my total invoice value attached to the shipment is for $135.89

hence my calculations. your total VAT charge and duty if needs paying is based on the total amount.  This includes delivery costs and even if you get some sort of insurance on the delivery.  Everything is taken into account and the the percentages are calculated.

15 hours ago, warlord said:

Thankfully there is a mechanism to resolve these issues, but absolutely no point arguing with UPS over it as they just ship it.

I argued with UPS over an order from a known airsoft retailer outside the UK, eventually they shipped the package to me with zero charges. I refused to fill in every form they sent citing it was "unnecessary" and if they actually tried to clear it through customs they would see this.

Eventually they reclassified the whole package into a tax/duty free exception - something to do with "items exclusively for health and safety purposes". I still had to pay their handling charges though.

I had to talk to several people, but I made it quite clear I was not going to return or complete their forms and that the package only contained safety equipment and a few items which were not inherently airsoft (some were real steel lol).

It's definitely worth arguing if you package doesn't contain anything actually subject to import restrictions. They threatened me with storage charges too, but I hung in there - count myself lucky tbh.

Every line of the invoice say "Accessory for Airsoft Toys" so I guess that word just triggered customs to act.

More likely UPS, they often contact the addressee before moving it from arrivals to go through customs.

EDIT:

11 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

I argued with UPS over an order from a known airsoft retailer outside the UK, eventually they shipped the package to me with zero charges. I refused to fill in every form they sent citing it was "unnecessary" and if they actually tried to clear it through customs they would see this.

Eventually they reclassified the whole package into a tax/duty free exception - something to do with "items exclusively for health and safety purposes". I still had to pay their handling charges though.

I had to talk to several people, but I made it quite clear I was not going to return or complete their forms and that the package only contained safety equipment and a few items which were not inherently airsoft (some were real steel lol).

It's definitely worth arguing if you package doesn't contain anything actually subject to import restrictions. They threatened me with storage charges too, but I hung in there - count myself lucky tbh.

More likely UPS, they often contact the addressee before moving it from arrivals to go through customs.

Well played

Lesson to be learnt, try harder. Thanks :D 

2 hours ago, warlord said:

Well played

Lesson to be learnt, try harder. Thanks :D 

Obviously I did return the form, just with N/A next to every entry, even though I had a UKARA number I still put N/A. :)

Archived