Advice on first RIF please. CM16 Raider-L??

slaney
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

(Admins please move if in wrong section)

Good morning all,

Next month i will be looking to obtain my first ever RIF once my UKARA comes through. I have been keeping a close eye on a few second hand sites as well as the well known online shops who stock new. I am torn between two RIF's and looking to see people's opinions on which i should look to go for. I will only be doing outdoor skirmish games with the rare chance of a CQB game. Not really my bag but it may come about.

LCT AS Val

I am currently watching a second hand one which is a little more then what i want to spend straight off the bat, but it is the gun which i have been massively fond of (Mainly down to BF3/BF4 games!!!!) The 2 things putting me off slightly is the mags only hold 50 rounds. I see there is the option to purchase hi caps at £19 each from an overseas company so there's that option. The other is maintenance. Would this be easy enough even for a novice? Liking the fact that it's build quality is supposed to be like a tank as well.

G&G CM16 Raider

I have seen good things about these and that they are the best option for anyone starting out. Easy to maintain and endless upgrades for them? Price is within my budget as well. I have used one of these on 2 occasions now and whilst the first time it didn't feel useful. my Latest use of one was positive enough (Apart from the Hi cap mag not feeding a few times!)

So that's it. Sensible me says play safe and get the raider or equivalent but with the potential to get a Val it's bloody difficult!!!!!! All comments welcome good or bad :)

Cheers

Hey man,

Ok so first things first, you may only be getting your UKARA soon, does that mean you have only started playing?

Have you seen reviews on the VAL?  dont get me wrong i have found that LCT are a decent company and generally make good RIF's however i have never had experience with the Val.   

I would personally not spend all your money on a gun that you have never held and made sure that it fits.  Feeling comfortable with your airsoft gun is important, as if it doesnt feel good on a weekly basis then you may regret getting it.

I only ask these questions about the Val and not the CM16, as you mentioned that you have had a go on one.

Really internal wise they are going to be about the same difficulty.  There is a learning curve obviously, but if you have one gun, you are going to focus on that.  If your budget can allow, i would honestly go for ICS, they have sportline range, so nearly as cheap as the CM16, but they have a split gearbox.  It is great for people starting out and learnign the internals as you can break down your gun and get into the top gearbox, in less than 5 minutes, and it gives you access to the important stuff; cylinder, cylinder head, piston, spring, air nozzle.  Thats what i did with my first and it helped a lot with learning the basic maintenance  of a rif.

Otherwise, i would just say, CM16 have been tested as good starter rif's, but they dont really have resale value, where as a LCT probably would.

I hope this helps,

Drop me a message if you need any help.

David

• Supporters

Forget maintenance, seriously.  Do  you do maintenance on an electric drill?  No. 

The only 'maintenance' that needs to be done to an AEG is semi regular barrel cleaning, even then we're talking every 10 games or so (unless you drop it in a puddle or whatever).  There are people that boast about cleaning their barrel after every game, I don't change the oil in my car every time I drive it! 

On the main topic though, providing the AS VAL hasn't been f*cked around with it'll be solid, the CM16 will also be generally very reliable with a warranty to boot. 

• Supporters

I would recommend the Cm16 as your first gun. I have one and rate it very high. If you buy the cm16 new, you have the warranty( I would recommend buying from a local shop to yourself incase you get an issue it's easy to take in rather than posting back and forth). Also, parts are easy to come by and cheap if you want to customise.

I have no experience with the LCT AS VAL, so can't comment on it either way.

My first gun was a CM16 R8-L. Very accurate out the box, reliable, solid gearbox.

Thanks for taking the time to reply gentsB) 

I have been to 3 games now so just waiting for the UKARA to be done by the site. I have watched as many reviews on the Val and all seem to be very positive. On the flip side the G&G CM16 Seems to be very popular and acts as a good back up for many players. An lcs L86a2 has come up for sale for the same price as the Val now. Would help as i work on a military site as well. Decisions!!!

With regards to maintenence, i only asked as it's all new to me and would rather get the know how before buying a RIF and just neglecting it.

Never really thought of the warranty element either over second hand so thanks for reminding me on that. 

I

Buy what makes you happy, but (I wrote this yesterday but never hit send) please don't forget that buying new in the EU gets you a warranty, which many airsofters will tell you, is usually worthwhile since lots of people report problems with new airsoft guns.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update,

After being more mindful of still needing battery/charger/mags etc, a max budget of £200 and being a first RIF, i am going to go for a CM16 Raider-L or Nuprol Delta pioneer In tan (Brand new for the warranty)

G&G seems the safe choice but seen people say the Nuprol is not great quality wise but the internals are very good?

4 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Nuprol and very good in the same sentence requires more imagination than what I have. :)

I'm guessing your not a fan then? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Sacarathe said:

FYI short is identical in function. :)

I like the look of a longer barrel over the short one.

Been trying to find a place to actually get hold of a Raider- L and managed to find a company (Airsoftzone) who stocks both Black & Tan. Would black be easier to "spray/wrap" over? want to get it done in multicam ideally.

With regards to batteries, it specifies it takes a 7.4v Lipo? Could anyone give a quick rundown of if this would last a full day skirmishing or would i need something better? also what is the difference between deans and tamiya? 

Sorry for all the questions and appreciate all the responses so far!!!B)

• Head Moderator
23 minutes ago, slaney said:

With regards to batteries, it specifies it takes a 7.4v Lipo? Could anyone give a quick rundown of if this would last a full day skirmishing or would i need something better? 

Buy two 7.4v LiPo batteries, and swap them halfway though the day. Or use one and keep the second in reserve in case you need it. I always have 2 LiPo with me in case I need to swap.

2 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Buy two 7.4v LiPo batteries, and swap them halfway though the day. Or use one and keep the second in reserve in case you need it. I always have 2 LiPo with me in case I need to swap.

good advice many thanks!!

Sorry for the continuous questions but would rather get it right first time!!!

Looking at getting 2 of these batteries

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-1300mah-25c-continuous-discharge-cranestock-lipo-battery.html

charger

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/1000ma-1500ma-li-po-li-fe-charger-for-2s-3s-lipo-life-battery-packs-complete-with-psu.html

will the above be ok? 

cheers:ph34r:

Batteries are fine

the charger however I would get something better as I've seen no end of posts on Facebook of people moaning about them not working properly 

IMAX B6ac all the way 

2 hours ago, lemon191 said:

Batteries are fine

the charger however I would get something better as I've seen no end of posts on Facebook of people moaning about them not working properly 

IMAX B6ac all the way 

thanks for posting :)

Will check out the IMAX now. Order is going in next week now so still got time to chop and change. Need to keep it at £200 though!! so far i had the RIF, 2 G&G mags, charger and 2 batteries at £197

I have the cm16 r8-l

i also have a tracer on it. It is very very long once you put a tracer in it to the point I knock it on stairs sometimes

my battery which is the same as the one you posted normally gets me through a whole day however I always carry 2 just in case, since I went out on a hot day it cut about 1hr before end game which was odd. Maybe I fired more who knows?

considee getting a chrono for yourself also as mine was recently firing hot and I've not even touched the internals

10 hours ago, slaney said:

thanks for posting :)

Will check out the IMAX now. Order is going in next week now so still got time to chop and change. Need to keep it at £200 though!! so far i had the RIF, 2 G&G mags, charger and 2 batteries at £197

Chargers are one if the things I wouldnt skimp on, mainly due to the fact that lipo batteries need to be balanced properly and rubbish chargers can bugger the batteries over time and also break themselves so you end up rebuying it all and spending the same amount as you would if you picked up a pricey but decent charger. The charger you linked will do the job if you want to save a little cash in the short term but I'd factor in replacing it down the line. 

Hello again all,

My order is about to go in for a G&G raider but want to know what(if at all) any difference  between a 1300mAh and 1450mAh 7.4v Lipo battery. it's only an extra 45p to go up to a 1450 so if it's more beneficial then i will get those. 

If anyone could let me know soonest that would be grand :)

Cheers

Archived